Are you afraid to buy high end snakes due to potential legislation? - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

View Poll Results: Are you afraid to invest in snakes due to potential legislation?
Absolutely 10 10.31%
Somewhat 38 39.18%
Not at all 38 39.18%
Its the economy 11 11.34%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #41
bear
apparently so LOL Why would anyone go south to release the snakes, I highly doubt anyone has ever crossed state lines with the intention of releasing an animal. If any releasing has been done I would put money that it was from people within that state. And if that is the real concern why not make a snake line separating the states that have suitable habitats for these snakes from the rest of the U.S. instead of every state. I dont think it would make much sense if im in michigan and i go to ohio or chicago to release a snake.. Dont get me wrong I dont think there should be any state line laws, but if your gonna make them at least have some kind of logic behind it..

Old 04-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #42
AbsoluteApril
isn't 'government intelligence' an oxy moron?

Old 04-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #43
StrictlyExotics
My sentiments are the same as most people here. My snakes will stay with me and I will just no longer sell the banned species on Fauna or any other venue that would require shipping out of state. I guess a lot more local shows will see some growth spurts if, in fact, the proposed leglislation becomes law. I might have to resort to setting up a booth just to sell boas.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #44
garweft
The proposed legislation is just the first piece that is being attempted to be taken away, if this passes there will be more. This proposed ban does nothing to address the real problems that are being used to back up it's movement forward. It's a shame that the real issue cannot be addressed and resolved without the need for legislation.

Maybe the sale of large constrictors does need to be regulated at some level. Obviously there are individuals who cannot responsibly keep them, yet they continually have the means to acquire them. I just hope we can find a way to lessen that problem without the need to make responsible keepers suffer.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #45
hhmoore
I was pointed at a portion of the Lacey Act which, at first glance, seems to contradict my initial impression. Haven't had a chance to fully review the proposed law again with that consideration in mind....I'll comment here after I've had a chance to do so

Old 04-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #46
bear
I could understand regulations controlling invasive species (burms) in florida, they are in the wild and living and that is a problem no doubt, but floridas problem, not the whole U.S. For the rest of us owning a large constrictor is no more irresponsible than putting bleach under your sink, leaving your prescription drugs in the cabinet, having a gun, or riding a motorcycle. Any of those instances could lead in you or your families injury and i guarantee happen waaayy more frequently than reptile accidents.

That being said the only way to prevent those accidents is to be safe, use gun locks, put bleach up high so kids cant get to it, keep your prescriptions out of reach, wear protective gear when riding, and lock your snakes up. All of my boas are in key locked cages, I wear a helmet when riding, Although I could use some work on my gun locks but im looking for a safe soon here..

Point is be responsible, the gov. shouldnt be regulating stupidity, thats your job.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #47
bear
i hope that last comment didnt come off like yelling, that wasnt my intention.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #48
StrictlyExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
i hope that last comment didnt come off like yelling, that wasnt my intention.
Alberto, I dont think it came off as yelling.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #49
Twizted Paths
Didn't look like yelling to me at all, just stating some common sense

I love cage locks, though I honestly view their use as keeping my snakes themselves safe.

Too much every day stuff in the house could hurt them, not to mention the dogs & cat, plus it'd be harder for a thief to get a bunch of big cages unnoticed out of my house then it would a couple of bags.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #50
bear
Looking at the poll up there it is crazy to think that we only have 42% of the market that we had maybe 5-10 years ago.. 58% are either not buying/apprehensive because of possible legislation or the economy, what is more surprising is less than 18% is due to the economy. I wish i would have posted a prediction before the voting began, I bet i would have guessed 60% economy 30% buying and 10% not buying due to legislation. Thats why i love these polls!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!