Virginia Alert: SB477 - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #21
David_Means
A meeting, regarding Virginia’s proposed SB 477 is set for Tuesday, at 11:00, this allows for everyone to get their animals tended to, children on the school bus, business meetings to be rescheduled, etc... Please bring your lunch or a snack as I am sure this will take some time. This is open to everyone. So if you see someone's name not on the Cc please forward this email.

There is a lot to go over including the bill Delegate Peace is presenting. Very similar but quite different then the one Senator Lucas #477. You must remember that this does not only affects us but the industry as a whole, such as private breeders and pet stores, in addition to the general public. Please invite your local pet store owners, etc.. Please take the time to invite your local Delegate and Senator, they are all in Richmond right now.

We need someone to step up to the plate as door greeters for name tags and sign in sheet. Plus we need someone for the secretary duty, any volunteers. Volunteers are needed for clean up afterward.

RSVP please to bearpathacres@aol.com, Sorry but high speed Internet is not one of those things that is available in my area, so Cc everybody at one time is impossible. We need to get an approximate head count for name tags.

Remember this is not a witch hunt, this is a meeting of the great minds of Virginia. Put your thinking cap on and leave your punching bags at home!

So mark your calenders and we will see on Tuesday at 11:00.

Discovery UMC
13000 Gayton Road
Richmond, Va. 23233
(one mile down Lauderdale from the main entrance of Short Pump Towne Center, just off I-64)

Old 01-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #22
Bowgod34
Warning!

Ok my math was off last night, I should reserve thinking for times when i'm awake.
But I just crunched some numbers that should prove beneficial in proving your case. I'd lay these out on some sort of pie chart or some easy to understand diagram for the meeting. It's hard to argue with facts.

Captive reptile related deaths in the past 21 years = 18
Average death count in the US each year = 2,400,000
Estimated US death count in the past 21 years = 50,400,000
Percentage of US deaths attributed to captive reptiles in the past 21 years = 0.00003%

captive reptile related non fatal injuries in the US in past 21 years = 95
Est. non fatal injuries in the US each year = 30,000,000
Estimated non fatal injuries in past 21 years = 630,000,000
Percentage of non fatal injuries attributed to captive reptiles = 0.000015%

The state of VA has had 2 deaths in 21 years, with an average of 56,000 deaths per year. Making the percentage of deaths attributed to reptiles 0.00017%

I haven't been able to find VA injury statistics, but reptile related injuries = 5 in 21 years with 3 of them being the same guy, and the same snake. That would lead me to blame operator error lol.

I hope this info will help in the fight. I've found best way to fight politics is with politics, and ignorance with cold hard facts. Storming the meeting with tons of people will get you seen, but proves nothing, go armed with facts, and knowledge and prove what you set out to prove.

Other stats that would be helpful are economical stats. How much does the industry produce each year, how many jobs does it create? It's great to talk about it, but having numbers there to back it up will make the talking be heard rather than going in one ear and out the other.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #23
David_Means
http://www.vaherps.com/t1019-update-...tant-info#9575

Here's some more info about Tuesday's Meeting in Richmond regarding SB477. I was asked to pass this new info along to anyone interested.

From Debbie Jeter:

I am meeting with a Democratic Stratagist today, she is going to go over everything we need to do to beat these bills. I am told we may have a special guest appearance also. I will share what I was told at Tuesday's meeting.

The 2 things that I know already:

1. You need to send hard copy letters to each Delegate and Senator, yes, 140. I guess they want us to support the postal service. I will have their address on Tuesday, if you need them.

2. They want an emergency plan. What would you do if an animal escaped? So start thing and writing it on paper.
This will probably be the last email from me until we meet on Tuesday. Today is booked with meetings and Monday is booked trying to put the meeting on paper.

So, I hope to see you all on Tuesday!

No one has stepped up to the plate to help with the administrative duties. Someone needs to speak up and help!

Have a great day!

Debbie Jeter
CEO/ Founder
Bear Path Aces
757-516-8774

Old 01-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #24
existential
There is a meeting tomorrow regarding sb477 and hb 1242.
Tuesday at 11:00 for persons concerned with these bills to formulate a plan of action.

Discovery UMC 13000 Gayton Road Richmond, Va. 23233 (one mile down Lauderdale from the main entrance of Short Pump Towne Center, just off I-64)

Old 01-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #25
existential
Haha.. sorry to repost this.. the thread didn't load all the new comments! Glad to see people are spreading the word.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #26
David_Means
We had a decent turn out at the Exotic Animal Keepers meeting in Richmond today with some big names in the herp community showing up. Michael Maddox of PIJAC attended the meeting and offered a wealth of great information on how to proceed with our efforts. The whole meeting was very informative and everyone had valuable input.

We need to proceed as a community and take action that will be effective in getting these proposed Bills withdrawn. The following points are listed in order of what was determined to be the most effective approach to reaching our goal.

• The number one best thing you can do is: EVERYTHING listed below.

• make an appointment with Delegate Christopher K Peace (patron who introduced HB 1242)
General Assembly Building
P.O. Box 406
Richmond, Virginia 23218
Phone: (804) 698-1097
Fax: (804) 698-6797
Email: DelCPeace@house.virginia.gov
Room Number: 527

And

Senator L. Louise Lucas (patron who introduced SB 477)
Senate of Virginia
P.O. Box 396
Richmond, VA 23218
Email: district18@senate.virginia.gov
Phone: (804) 698-7518
Fax: (804) 698-7651
Room No: 426

With a hand written letter in hand.

• Also very effective is: make an appointment to meet with each member of the committee with a hand written letter addressed to each committee member in hand. Be sure to be polite and well dressed. Even if the person you are meeting with doesn’t agree with what you have to say, be sure to stay calm and represent the herp community in a positive manner.

• Ask friends, family, and co-workers to join you and spend a few hours in Richmond and lobby against both bills. It’s best to make appointments, but if time doesn’t allow for appointments or you are not able to get an appointment with any, than stop in each office and speak with members staff. Again with letters in hand.

• Write letters (hand written letters carry the most weight) to each member on each committee, Delegate Christopher K Peace, and Senator L. Louise Lucas. Letters should be in your own words and no more than one page. Letters don’t need to be long, a short and to the point letter is fine. Be sure you check your spelling, be respectful and polite. If you are typing your letter be sure to hand sign them. Mailing and hand delivering letters will hold more weight than emailing or faxing them. Try to avoid form letters as they carry little to no weight. Using form letters as a guide to writing your letters in fine, but be sure your letter is in your own words so it appears more personal.

• Make phone calls to each member on each committee, Delegate Christopher K Peace, and Senator L. Louise Lucas.

• Petitions carry little to no weight.

Our first goal is to get Delegate Christopher K Peace, and Senator L. Louise to retract their proposed Bills before the committees meet to hear them. It is very important to set appointments and get letters out as soon as possible. If we don’t meet our first goal then the next goal is to have the proposed Bills dismissed by the committees or convince them to send the proposed Bills to scientific study (scientific study would buy us a year). To achieve this we need as many people as possible to be ready to show up at the public hearing with little notice (the hearing dates and time are only posted 24-48 hours before the hearing). We have people who are prepared to speak, but still need bodies to show our numbers as a community.

Things to keep in mind

When you meet with Senators and Delegates be prepared to include escape protocols (they what to know what we would do in the event of a escape).

Be sure to back up any claims you make with facts that you can prove.

Be professional in every possible way. We want them to view our community as professional and responsible.

Even if you don’t own any species on these proposed Bills, get involved now. Just because the species you keep isn’t on the proposed Bills now, doesn’t mean they can’t be added if these Bills get passed. Many other states passed bans that only started with a few species, but now are adding new species every year.

When communicating (in letters or person) with the Senators and Delegates about these proposed Bills, let them know that you opposed to the proposed Bills as they are written, but would be open to a reasonable permit process. This shows we as a community are responsible, reasonable and willing to work on a solution.

Lastly we all need to come together as a community and support each other. Don’t sit back and hope everyone else will fight this. We all need to do our part.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #27
existential
From my email:
Hey Everyone,

This just in from Dr. Kerri who is heading the opposition of Bill's 477 & 1242 statewide.

We will be meeting at the church in Richmond THIS THURSDAY, JAN 27 NO LATER THAN: 8am. We have the first
meeting with the delegates at 9:15am! The church is in Richmond VA, the address is 13000 Gayton Rd, Richmond VA 23233. If there are enough of us who show will will break up into groups so we can reach more of the delegates.

Try and get as many letters (Handwritten is preferred) to bring up with you on Thursday. A suggestion was thrown out, that we should have the kids write letters as well, as this ban will impact them as well. I think it's a great idea. The education of kids is important to the delegates. Letters from the kids on what they will miss out on if this ban goes through may drive this home for us.

See rest of the recommendations below.

A group of us will be carpooling up together from Hampton Roads.
Please contact myself of Jared Watts (rescueandtransportwri@yahoo.com)

Thanks
Cindy Lakin
757-746-4662

Wildlife Response Inc, Director of Public Relations
VA Licensed Rehabber
VIIPER member
Reptile Enthusiast

> Hello all,
>
> I attached everyone to this email that I personally know. I am sure I am
> missing some emails since I haven't heard back from Jim yet with the list
> from the meeting. We are all busy today working our tails off to get
> involved. I have meetings with my local reps today and I have been calling
> every delegate and senator I can to make meetings for Thursday (tomorrow).
>
> Depending on the number of people that show tomorrow, I may have to split
> us up. Most of the delegates have only the same times available. But, we
> will work it out perfectly!
>
>
> So, the plan is:
>
> Meet a little later BUT NO LATER THAN: 8am at the church we have the first
> meeting at 9:15!
> if you have not been there, email me and I will give you an address
> and directions
> Thank you again to Jim for allowing us to meet at the church
>
> We will be lobbying and meeting at multiple senator and congressmans
> offices.
>
> Please, dress buisness to business casual
>
> No oral objects please (tooth picks, gum, candy)
>
> Bring HAND Written letters if you can. We are going to try to meet with
> EVERY senator and delegate associated with theses committees. Address each
> congressman individually IF POSSIBLE. I know that I will be up late
> working on this (Plus leaving at 3-4am to be in Richmond on time!). We
> want to not only speak with them but leave them with something. Be
> personal. How will this affect you: economic losses, educating the public,
> etc. If you have copies from children that you have taught or talked to -
> go for their heart!
>
> After this Thursday, if you are unavailable to go. We will continue to
> lobby at later dates. If we can find enough people to go go weekly we will
> try. At least there will be two more trips when we know these bills come
> up on the docket.
>
>
> If I miss anyone, please send me their email so I can add them to this
> listserve. Please call me if need be for anything. Also if the secretary
> from the meeting could send me a copy of the notes so I can send them out I
> would appreciate it!
>
> Thank you all for all of your hard work, it will pay off in the future!
>
>
> Dr. Kerri

Old 01-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #28
salottimc
I just wanted to follow up to this thread. Thursday is actually the 26th, but unfortunately I will not be able to make it. I have interviews scheduled the whole morning. Can someone please give me an update after the meeting on Thursday? Thanks.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #29
David_Means
SB 477 Is on the docket for Thursday!!!

I'll be calling the senate clerk in the morning to find out if SB 477 in on the agenda for Thursday. If it is on the agenda we need as many people to show up in Richmond as possible. I'll post more information as it is available.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #30
salottimc
Does someone have a list of the senators email addresses?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!