White House Python Ban Petition - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #51
Gina Gauvin
Warning! podcast from last friday night

I think a lot of people don't realize this is just a start and once they're done banning the bigger species, they'll continue on to the smaller species, down to frogs and even bugs. So the best approach imo, would be to advertise and outline the process. Also, we've got to find a way around the government site.
This next link is the podcast from last Friday night that Andrew Wyatt from USARK did, along with Ben Seigal to defend us. I thought he did a pretty good job.;

http://allanhandelman.blogspot.com/2....html?spref=fb

Old 02-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #52
hhmoore
As of a few minutes ago, there are a paltry 5,151 signatures....barely 20% of the "required" number.
Sad

Old 02-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #53
Morelia4life
So we have 16 more days to get basically 20,000 more sigs... wow!! I can't believe people. I thought they would want to do more for the reptiles they love. I guess I was wrong.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #54
Pasodama
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
As of a few minutes ago, there are a paltry 5,151 signatures....barely 20% of the "required" number.
Just saw that when I went to see how many signatures there were by this time. Could only shake my head in disbelief! It truly saddens me.
I don't keep Burms & Large Pythons (and don't ever plan to) but I had signed the petition. My husband had signed it as well. There is very good reason to stand up against this ban.
When it comes to this matter, our Government, our rights, etc., I wish more people would quit burying their head in the sand.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #55
WebSlave
There is a politically inspired saying that goes something like "There is POWER in numbers." Obviously many people don't stop to think what the REVERSE of that really means in the political arena.

So let me spell that out for you. If you are not part of a large enough population group in the eyes of politicians, then you have absolutely NO power whatsoever influencing the decisions that they make that affect YOUR life. YOU are completely and absolutely powerless alone, or in what looks like a VERY small fringe whacko group of "snake freaks", to them.

If you don't express your opinion, or make a vote to try to make a difference, then quite frankly, you just do not exist, and have absolutely NO influence in matters that SHOULD be important enough to you to at least raise your hand in protest. It is this sort of attitude that is why it is so easy for our government to literally walk all over our "rights" and thereby turn them into privileges doled out by petty little bureaucracies they create for this purpose via permits (do you know what they word LITERALLY means?), or taken away completely with barely a whimper (comparatively) of protest.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #56
hhmoore
I wonder if the fact that there are multiple petitions has any impact on the number of signatures. It wouldn't be a significant impact, I know, because a) I'm sure there is a degree of repetition, and b) even combined, the three biggest ones that I am aware of would still leave us sadly lacking if they were considered entirely individual and added together.

And before anybody brings it up - yes, I did comment on the relative uselessness of some other petitions/polls posted in the recent past.....but, yes, I did sign this one. I wasn't one of the first; but I was in the first 1000, so it was fairly early in the process.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #57
reptilebaby
I posted this on some of the other forums I go to, and on one of them I was told that big snakes should be banned and that it wouldn't affect other animals. I don't beleive it, and that's why me, my husband and daughter all signed.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #58
SPJ
It all boils down to "it's not my problem".
Too many people not directly impacted by this could care less about signing it.

You see the same thing regarding bad sellers. People continue to buy from sellers who have ripped off a ton of others but hey, since he didn't rip me off, he's OK.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #59
R. Eventide
We need to remind all pet owners that this is their problem, too, because these same people tried to pass HR669, which would've banned all pets that weren't dogs, cats, or goldfish. Perhaps if more people knew of HR669 and that those pushing for this ban are the same ones behind that failed bill, they would realize how tenuous the legality of their own pets is. The "not my pet, not my problem" people need to be straight-up shown that it will not stop at large constrictors.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #60
phoenix-cry
I signed, but I think the multiple petitions is the real threat.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!