Laws banning reptiles!, your state could be next! - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 10-07-2004, 11:31 AM   #31
riverjop
Admit it Shannon!...the heat isn't broken! your just a cheep-skate! trying to save more money to buy more geckos! Right?

Old 10-07-2004, 12:07 PM   #32
Nirvana
Whoops

Yeah, I'm usually better at typing than that.

Also, I think the correct term is "pit bull," with a space, not "pitbull" without a space . . . Yeeeap.

Oh, wow, I did that TWICE . . . Holy crap . . . I really wasn't paying attention, was I? Sorry about that.

It always bugs me when other people type sloppily on online forums . . . Guess I'd better start proofreading.

Old 10-07-2004, 12:29 PM   #33
Nirvana
There.

That was really buggin' me, so I went back and fixed it.

I will proofread from now on.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:59 PM   #34
ShannanD25
I think some of the funniest posts happen when one doesn't proofread....That gave me a kick this morning. And in this chilly office I needed it!

No Overton, I'm not cheap...well I am but not when it comes to heat....the office had a fight with the Gas company and the Gas company won.....yet admitted they were wrong....anyways...

At least my Leos at home are nice and toasty.....

Old 10-07-2004, 05:49 PM   #35
riverjop
yea...
and your eying a new patternless I can see it in your eye's...I mean posts.
Just turn your gas back on and step away from the paypal button!

Old 11-12-2004, 08:26 AM   #36
arthur cooke
Hi all, hope you don't mind an Englishman poking his nose in? I'm a founder committee member of the FBH (Federation of British Herpetologists) which is a political lobby group formed to protect herp keeping from creeping animal rights.
We have learned in our battles with these people is that they come in all shapes and sizes, many pretend to be animal welfare, because they have managed to blur the difference between AR and AW. Their aim is to bring in as many restrictive laws as is possable, each one designed to make keeping our animals as difficult as they can, not because it's good welfare but because get enough restrictions in place and reptile keeping dies, which is what they want.
All of the things discussed on this thread are the same things used to get at us in England, the cost of abandoned reptiles, how wild caught are a threat to species, certain animals shouldn't be kept because they are dangerous. Imports should be banned, live feeding should be banned. Zoonosis, salmonella is a vast public health threat, so all shows should be banned.
It is a many pronged attack on herp keeping all over the west and in some places they've lost the battle already.
One poster on here said we must take action and I agree, all restrictive laws on herp keeping should / must be resisted.
I agree that we must have good welfare laws and reptile keepers need to be responsible keepers and we must keep down the number of abandoned/neglected animals but so do dog and cat keepers and no one talks about banning them.
In England and Wales we are getting together with the RSPCA to set up a nation wide rehoming service, whereby the herp community take on all reptiles that need to be rehomed, so that stops all arguments re abandoned reptiles and the cost.
Our biggest success is that whenever goverment dept's want to talk to some one regarding things herpetlogical, they talk to us and not animal rights groups.
One of our biggest tasks was convincing reptile keepers and the trade that there was any danger at all and getting the various clubs and societies to unit took ten years but now we are all united and unity gives us strenth and a much louder voice.
Anyway, very good site.
cheers arthur

Old 11-12-2004, 10:36 AM   #37
riverjop
Welcome aboard Arthur!.....the struggle never ends!

Old 11-12-2004, 10:57 AM   #38
arthur cooke
Hi Riverjop, that's very true, I know that there is at least one American political herpetlogical group fighting the battle over there. I'l post some links if people are interested.
cheers arthur

Old 11-12-2004, 12:27 PM   #39
Nirvana
Hi, Arthur,

I'd be very interested in links to American political herp groups, if you have them. I completely agree that a united voice speaking out in favor of the herp community is exactly what we need to preserve the legality of our hobby, and I've been looking for a way to get more involved in keeping the hobby legal.

What are the current herp laws in England ? Or do they differ by county?

Thanks,

Old 11-16-2004, 10:32 AM   #40
arthur cooke
E-mail klorentz@cityofbryan.net
Homepage http://www.naroa.info

Hi, Kevin is doing a sterling job and needs all the support he can get.
Mostly all our laws are national.
cheers arthur

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!