little bugs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-09-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
DooberRT
little bugs

I have noticed that today there appears to be tiny bugs that are the shape of a worm in my boas water dish. There was only like three of them and when I saw them I cleaned out the dish right away. Where could they come from? I have a 10 gallon at the moment with some bark at the bottom from the pet store and some astroturf. I did have some sticks in there that I found outside but I took those out.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:03 PM   #2
shivaboa
parasites?

I tried to google pictures of snake parasites to see if any matched but very few pictures came up.

It is possible that your snake has those parasites inside. They could have come from your snake. Many snakes get parasites even from breeders, because breeders often feed them live prey to get the feeding response. Your snake can also get parasites if you feed it live prey rather than frozen/thawed prey. So if you are feeding your snake live prey, or if you haven't taken a stool sample to the vet yet to check your snake, those worms could be inside your snake.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:43 PM   #3
shivaboa
vet

Needless to say I would take my snake to the vet if I were you, with a stool sample.

Here are some links to good reptile vets:

http://herpvetconnection.com/
http://arav.com/Directory.htm

Old 08-10-2006, 02:37 AM   #4
DAND
Roberts and Wendt animal hopsital would be your best bet. Dr. Vicky Wendt is who I take my herps to.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:32 PM   #5
DooberRT
I cleaned out the cage and all seems to good now Ill keep an eye on the water though to see if they show up.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:16 PM   #6
Bill_Leverton
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaboa
I tried to google pictures of snake parasites to see if any matched but very few pictures came up.
It is possible that your snake has those parasites inside. They could have come from your snake. Many snakes get parasites even from breeders, because breeders often feed them live prey to get the feeding response. Your snake can also get parasites if you feed it live prey rather than frozen/thawed prey. So if you are feeding your snake live prey, or if you haven't taken a stool sample to the vet yet to check your snake, those worms could be inside your snake.
Jackie, I beg to differ, Ive been feeding my Boas Live since I got into Boas(10 years now) And I have never had a parasite problem internally, did by chance read that on a Melissa Kaplan Site.? No disrespect, I can see if you are feeding diseased Rodents (IE) Dieing mange or other life treating illnesses.That is the only way I would think feeding live would cause that.or it being a wild caught snake. JMO

Old 08-16-2006, 01:51 AM   #7
Slithering Serpents
If you see any more of those little varmints be sure to save them for the vet!
Caden Chapman

Old 08-16-2006, 05:37 PM   #8
DooberRT
Yeah none so far

Old 08-16-2006, 05:46 PM   #9
christopher66
just wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooberRT
Yeah none so far
If you didn't take the animal to the vet ,and it is parasites ,then they will be back on the next life cycle.Wait a few weeks .If what you saw were parasites,then they were the end result.The begining phase may be going on right now as we speak.
If your not going to invest the money to take your animal to the vet ,the least you should do is take a stool sample in and have it tested.
Better safe then sorry.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:05 PM   #10
DooberRT
I a stool sample to the vet and he said all was good

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!