Updated hurricane forecast for 2020 - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 08-21-2020, 04:54 PM   #11
WebSlave
Looks like Tropical Storm Laura's track hasn't changed much in the forecast, but Tropical Depression Fourteen's track has made a notable swing back to the west.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2020, 06:19 PM   #12
WebSlave
Looks like the 5PM forecast track for TS Laura is moving it even further west. The way this is going, TD Fourteen and TS Laura might both impact Texas by the time all is said and done.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2020, 07:35 PM   #13
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
The way this is going, TD Fourteen and TS Laura might both impact Texas by the time all is said and done.
Actually, looking at the Ventusky modeling forecast, it looks more probably that Louisiana will catch both storms. TD 14 on Monday, and TS Laura on Wednesday, with Laura being by far the more powerful storm.

But I still think I'm still going to get the Grand Cherokee's gas tank filled up sometime in the next few days anyway.

Old 08-22-2020, 06:09 PM   #14
WebSlave
I think if any of you have any plans to be going to Louisiana this upcoming week, you may want to modify your plans a bit.

BTW, tropical depression 14 became renamed to Tropical Storm Marco.

Fortunately with TS Laura crossing the length of Cuba, that should weaken it quite a bit before it can build back strength in the Gulf of Mexico.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2020, 07:38 PM   #15
bcr229
Dang. I wonder who put the curse on New Orleans?

Old 08-23-2020, 12:38 AM   #16
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Dang. I wonder who put the curse on New Orleans?
At least the two storms aren't converging and making landfall there on the same day. But heck, maybe it would be better to just get it all over with all at one time.

At least they aren't Cat 5 storms being predicted. A couple of Michael category storms slamming an area one after the other would probably just wipe the land completely clean of all human structures.

Just feels like it is piling insult onto injury having landfalling tropical storms to worry about with everything else going on lately. Hopefully any that do impact us will be only minor ones and no monsters.

Old 08-23-2020, 07:52 AM   #17
E.Shell
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
At least the two storms aren't converging and making landfall there on the same day. But heck, maybe it would be better to just get it all over with all at one time.
I don't think two low pressure areas (both CCW rotations) can simultaneously coexist in adjacent spaces...
Quote:
At least they aren't Cat 5 storms being predicted. A couple of Michael category storms slamming an area one after the other would probably just wipe the land completely clean of all human structures.

Just feels like it is piling insult onto injury having landfalling tropical storms to worry about with everything else going on lately. Hopefully any that do impact us will be only minor ones and no monsters.
At this time, they are both projected to make landfall on Louisiana.

They say it is the first ever to have two storms like this:
https://www.livescience.com/two-hurr...of-mexico.html

Quote:
There have never been two hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico at the same time before.
Maybe the 'first on our (modern) record', but I sincerely doubt 'first EVER'.

Whomever decided that building New Orleans below sea level would be a good idea should be getting an extra helping or three of their hot coals this week...

Old 08-23-2020, 03:02 PM   #18
WebSlave
I'm wondering if Marco blazing the trail might be a good thing to keep Laura from becoming much stronger that it would otherwise. As it is, Laura may be a Cat 2 at landfall. Marco may be a Cat 1.

Old 08-23-2020, 03:15 PM   #19
WebSlave
Actually Marco looks right impressive in imagery right now.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2020, 03:26 PM   #20
WebSlave
Hmm, I'm looking at the Ventusky models and they are predicting that Marco won't even make landfall before dissipating. Marco will turn to the west over water and just dissipate before reaching land, according to the model.

But Laura looks like it will then build up steam as it comes off of Cuba and continues towards Louisiana. Wind speeds don't seem very high in the models, so Laura might barely reach Cat 1 because of the Gulf being so churned up by Marco. Plus all the rain and cloud cover will likely reduce the water temps somewhat. Heck right now here below Tallahassee the air temp is only 78 degrees, and yesterday it barely got to 75 degrees.

Well, hoping that this won't be as bad as it could be. Louisiana sure seems to get more than it's share of lumps from tropical storms.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!