Where can I get my hands on... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-08-2004, 09:54 AM   #1
motorcycleguyr1
Where can I get my hands on...

Ive been looking all over the net and cant locate a place to obtain trap hide boxes. If any one has some or knows of a source to purchase them please let me know.

Old 12-08-2004, 10:34 AM   #2
lycosa
Trap Boxes

EZ Trapboxes.

If anyone is looking for an easy to build and sanitary trapbox, I have a plan that has worked well for me.

Trap Box Picture

The parts are all available at Home Depot or Lowe’s and are as follows:

1) Plastic junction box. They come in various sizes and are pretty cheap and very durable. They have screws which fasten on the lid for extra security, yet you can still open them up for cleaning.
2) Blank Junction box cover for the door. These are just standard switch covers without the switch hole. They come in different colors and are plastic or metal. They cost about a $1.00
3) Any single hole knob for the door.
4) ¼” aluminum channel. This is available in the hardware aisle.
5) 5 10-24 machine screws and nuts.

To make the box, you’ll need a hole saw to cut the snake’s entrance hole and some sandpaper to clean up any sharp edges around it after your done. The knob comes with a screw and the blank plate has two holes, just pick one and screw it on tight. To mount the channel, you’ll need a drill to make a couple of holes on the top and bottom channel and then mark where to drill on the box so that the door fits snug. You have to mount the screws high enough in the channel that the door doesn’t catch the screws when you open and close it, or use a countersink bit and countersink screws to make them flush. The latter is much better. I also install an extra screw on the right side of the entrance hole so the door doesn’t slide out of the channel when closing it. Make sure to use small enough length machine screws so that there are no protruding screws inside the box that the snake can get hurt on.

The box makes routine cage cleaning a breeze, and tubing a snake for eyecap removal, meds, etc. is very easy if done carefully by tubing the snake right out of the box. Word of warning though, sometimes sneaky snakes hide behind boxes. I always check with a flashlight before opening the cage door and obviously, use a hook to close the trap door not your fingers…