Elongated Tortoise Temp Range - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:01 PM   #1
AnimalMan1981
Elongated Tortoise Temp Range

Hello everyone....as much info as I can sift thru on elongated tortoises online, I only seem to find info on their preferred temps in the wild in the "wet" areas of forest they inhabit....does anyone know of temps for the more dry/hot part of this species range? Also feel free to chime in if you have experience with these animals in captivity (preferably raising them outdoors) and what temp ranges you find ideal, especially the warmer end of the scale....

Thanks in advance ☺

Old 06-01-2016, 02:00 PM   #2
AnimalMan1981
Nobody?? If there are people on here selling this species they must know how to care for them right? Know some info? Lol just saying ��

Old 12-02-2016, 10:46 PM   #3
cgreed36
Observed Temperature Preferences for Elongated Torts, theory on locale adaptations

I have found that my 2 y/o 0.1 cbb elongated prefers 80-85 F on the hot side. I have observed their behavior in higher temps, and instinct tells them to stay away from 90F and leave0 >95F areas. I have kept her outside in summer conditions, but she consistently moved to colder (~75F rather than ~90-95F) areas of the shaded 30'x30' plot regardless of other conditions other than ~10% variance in humidity.---- Sorry about lack of references to my numbers. Just believe me hehehehahaha..... I'm a trained and experienced zoologist with 22 years experience in Chelonians.

I would like to say that this data is from a very small sample size of individuals and requires further experimentation, especially considering the history and future of this species. This species is viewed as rare and desirable, and is being captive bred without knowledge of where the parents came from. Because the first clutch would be a strong het for two locales, when the offspring are bred F2 there is a chance for certain traits to prevail. It is very possible one breeder's genome has adaptations for Indian climates, while uncontrolled breeding at another facility could yield adaptations for Borneo.
This species does have a huge native geographical range (India to Borneo) which should create adaptations for each different habitat, and later could create subspecies for each environment. Without the native population, and laws preventing export with endangered IUCN status and CITES scheduling, the genome should quickly generalize to a Wild-Type genome.
It was interesting to learn their preferences, because they are described in most sources as redfoot clones, but really have alot of unique quirks that make their drab shell worthwhile. I have talked to anybody I can about these guys, but general knowledge agrees that they are perfectly happy in a wet, coolish environment with lots of shade. If you give them the room for slightly diverse parameters, they will lead you to the right habitat, considering time of day, intensity of light, and preventing any external influences. Note the beast's orientation to heating elements and if they sit in extreme opposites to heat/light water/food.
Anyhoo, upon extended observation I do believe that they are hardy generalists, despite possible locale adaptations. Their vast range in the wild, hardiness after captive acclimation, and lack of natural occurring subspecies, elongated tortoises give the biological impression of a durable little critter whether its on the side of a cloud mountain eating berries, or in a dryer Indian scrubland eating carrion. As long as humidity remains relatively tropical, diverse diet given, and enrichment, they will flourish. I let my temps fluctuate within 5 degrees F, so that breeding conditions can be simulated, and I have had no medically significant problems associated with temps, and the worst was familiar crawl to the tomato plant when the sun comes out.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!