SOLD!! baby black dragon - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Lizards For Sale/Wanteds > Monitors

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
DoubleDragon
Varanus togianus

It's not Black dragon or V. salvator komaini. Black dragon is pure black coloration throughout the body (no spots or bands) and a grayish-purple tongue. Take some clear photos if you can.You can see the banding under your water monitor neck. Which leads me to belive it's Varanus togianus. Take a photo of his belly or underside and post it up. Prove me wrong? All so where did you get your water monitor from?

Old 09-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
Johnantny
The baby water monitor pictured is Komaini phase Macromaculatus, not V. togianus. Baby togianus are Yellowish colored ventrally. Komaini babies are dark grey. Some obscure remnant patterning may be seen on hatchling Komainis but will ulitmately fade to Jet Black as it matures. DoubleDragon, I could also mention scalation and head morphology differences. The ad is no scam.

John

http://www.cybersalvator.com

Old 09-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #13
YinnyYu
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDragon View Post
It's not Black dragon or V. salvator komaini. Black dragon is pure black coloration throughout the body (no spots or bands) and a grayish-purple tongue. Take some clear photos if you can.You can see the banding under your water monitor neck. Which leads me to belive it's Varanus togianus. Take a photo of his belly or underside and post it up. Prove me wrong? All so where did you get your water monitor from?
you still can see spots and bands on some black dragons body
and V. salvator komaini =black dragon.
  Contact User Check User
Old 09-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
YinnyYu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnantny View Post
The baby water monitor pictured is Komaini phase Macromaculatus, not V. togianus. Baby togianus are Yellowish colored ventrally. Komaini babies are dark grey. Some obscure remnant patterning may be seen on hatchling Komainis but will ulitmately fade to Jet Black as it matures. DoubleDragon, I could also mention scalation and head morphology differences. The ad is no scam.

John

http://www.cybersalvator.com
Thanks John
  Contact User Check User
Old 09-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #15
Johnantny
The baby water monitor pictured above the 2 black dragon adults is a Sulawesi type, V.s.ssp...

Taller snout, orangey tinge to the neck- Speckled water monitors on mainland Sulawesi .

Old 09-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #16
DoubleDragon
Vol _1 Biawak number 1 2007

Introduction
The Water Monitor (Varanus salvator) is one of the most widely distributed of all monitor species,
ranging from Sri-Lanka and eastern India across southeast Asia (including southern China) to the
Philippines and throughout much of Indonesia as far east as Ceram (Gaulke and Horn, 2004). Because of
its extensive distribution, not surprisingly, this species shows substantial geographic variation in scalation
and coloration, and several subspecies have been described.
The last major revision of V. salvator was that of Mertens (1942). Over the years, the status of certain
subspecies of V. salvator has been controversial. Some authorities have argued against the validity of
some, or, for the elevation of others to full species status, but the general consensus is that the V. salvator

group is in need of modern taxonomic revision (Gaulke and Horn, 2004).
The color and pattern of the various populations of V. salvator varies geographically. In general,
juveniles have a distinctive pattern, but in some populations the pattern becomes obscured with age. Some
populations, however, are darker than others, and dark or melanistic individuals have been reported from
Thailand (komaini; Nutphand, 1987), the Togian Islands in Indonesia (togianus; Mertens, 1959), and from
Nicobar and the Andaman Islands (andamanensis; Deraniyagala, 1944); in the latter population, however,
juveniles are reported to show a distinctive pattern (Kala, 1998). Additionally, some populations of V.
salvator nuchalis from the Philippines display two distinctive color phases, one colorful and the other
dark, but both morphs are sympatric on the islands of Panay and Negros, where the pale color is the most
abundant. The opposite is true on the islands of Masbate, Ticao, and Boracay, where a dark or nearly
melanistic form predominates (Gaulke, 1991; Horn and Gaulke, 2004).
The Black Water Monitor was described as a separate subspecies (V. salvator komaini) by Nutphand
(1987), from small islands and areas near the coastline in southwestern Thailand. Nutphand distinguished
this subspecies from its closest relative, V. salvator, by its shorter adult length, black coloration throughout
the body (no spots or bands), and a grayish-purple tongue; however, his description indicated only minor
scutellational differences between the taxa.
Since its description, komaini has been regarded as a subspecies of V. salvator by some authorities
or as an invalid taxon by others. Information on the status of komaini in Sprackland (1992) added to this
confusion, as on page 128 he states that “Preliminary information suggests that it (= komaini) may or may
not be a subspecies of Varanus salvator,” yet on page 130 he indicates this taxon (as Varanus salvator
komaini) as a nomen nudum.
The purpose of this report is not to question the taxonomic validity of V. s. komaini, but to present
husbandry and reproductive information on this highly unusual monitor. The animals discussed here
purportedly are from Kukup, in Johore, Malaysia, on the southwestern tip of the Malay Peninsula.

Here you go can download it here. Read for you slef. http://varanidae.org/biawak look it up vol-1 No1

You still have not proved me wrong from my last question ? Where did you acquire it?

Old 09-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #17
DoubleDragon
Johnantny ! You can see yellow!

The photo on the first page of it's head. It shows yellow banding on it. So what is your point>?

Old 09-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #18
Johnantny
The baby in the top 3 pictured on first page does not have "yellow" banding on head. The snout has faded grey snout bands- this is what komaini babies have... until they mature and turn completely black as adults. The photos of an adult by itself is a V. togianus, not komaini phase macromaculatus. I think Yinny was trying to show differences between them.

I think the most likely scenario is the baby komaini is one of the CB exports from Costa Rica. My home page http://www.cybersalvator.com has a banner ad linking to the zoo in Costa Rica if you want to see.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #19
DoubleDragon
Black Dragon

I happen to own adult pair of Black Dragons. I know who is producing them at the Zoo in Cost Rica as well it's no secert. My question is where did he get ? honeslty it has banding on it? I'm sorry it's not true Black Dragon. Still have not proved me wrong with my question. Come on I don't need you to tell me what is the difference between black dragon I just stated that he is not selling a black dragon. I called it togian water monitor, maybe I'm wrong but I know that it's not black dragon. That was my point to prove him wrong. If you read that article I posted from http://varanidae.org/biawak you would know the costa rican zoo is involed with that article. Do me a favor and read the article then talk to me. It cleary states (no spots or bands).

Old 09-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #20
YinnyYu
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDragon View Post
I happen to own adult pair of Black Dragons. I know who is producing them at the Zoo in Cost Rica as well it's no secert. My question is where did he get ? honeslty it has banding on it? I'm sorry it's not true Black Dragon. Still have not proved me wrong with my question. Come on I don't need you to tell me what is the difference between black dragon I just stated that he is not selling a black dragon. I called it togian water monitor, maybe I'm wrong but I know that it's not black dragon. That was my point to prove him wrong. If you read that article I posted from http://varanidae.org/biawak you would know the costa rican zoo is involed with that article. Do me a favor and read the article then talk to me. It cleary states (no spots or bands).
It is a black dragon! I got him from Kingsnake.com
I was trying to show you the differences between V. togianus and komaini like John said
If you don't believe me you just don't buy it. But it is a really black dragon
I have another one is pure black coloration throughout the body like you said
  Contact User Check User

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread