Hot!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 09-08-2019, 11:45 AM   #1
WebSlave
Hot!!

Damn.... just before noontime and it is already 95.0 degrees according to my weather station. "Feels like" is showing 113.2 degrees.

And climbing...

I think it will be a good idea to just stay inside today and do continuous checking on the air conditioning.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:38 PM   #2
WebSlave
Angry

Man, talk about waving a red flag in front of Murphy's legal team!

The house air conditioning died today. Connie noticed that the thermostat was reading 82 degrees even though it was set for 80. Everything mechanically is working, but the air coming out of the AC vents is 83.5 degrees, so obviously cold air isn't being generated. Compressor housing outside looks ok, with no ice formed to clog the vents. Fan is moving, and the air handler up in the attic is seemingly working. Air temp inside the house is holding pretty steady at 82.2 degrees even though it is 100.8 degrees up in the attic. So the AC must be generating some cold air, otherwise I'm sure we would be getting much hotter air coming out of the vents.

Luckily the entire unit is still under the 10 year warranty, but I'm betting with all this heat we have been having, the AC company is going to likely be slammed with calls tomorrow morning. We are paying a maintenance contract with what they call their "Red Carpet Service" so hopefully that will mean that we have some sort of priority and someone can get out here early on Monday. If not by mid day it's going to be right toasty in here.

I did leave a message with their voice mail, but no telling how many calls might be in front of me.

At least this didn't happen Friday night as usually happens with stuff like that. Even with the warranty, they still charge by the hour ($100 per hour) for after hours emergency service.

Sure seems like one thing after another. I guess this is why people will rent instead of owning their own home. After a while just fixing things that break down gets pretty old.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:46 PM   #3
JColt
Sounds like low on freon. Coils could be clogged up too. Hopefully they get out first thing.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:22 PM   #4
WebSlave
We had preventative maintenance done on the unit on 08/15, so I would think that the guy would have caught either situation. I didn't want to pull the panel off on the air handler up in the attic because it is still 100 degrees up there. But when the attic temps drop down I will shut off the compressor and just run the fan, in case it did ice up in there. Seems to me that with the fan blowing out air that is 83.5 degrees, that any ice inside there would melt, though. It is moving air, so I would think that ice in a 100 degree attic would be hard pressed to keep from melting. I checked the pan and it was bone dry, yet the drain pipe outside was dripping condensation when I checked it earlier. Beats me. The warranty is parts and labor, so I just hope they can get out here quickly when business hours begin for them.

I took a screen capture of the inside temps as well as the temps up in the attic (sensor 2). I would think that either low freon or a clogged coil would show a gradual reduction in cooling in the home. The chart shows an apparent failure that happened just today.

Probably going to be uncomfortable sleeping tonight. Humidity overnight is hitting 96 to 97 percent overnight, so opening the window would likely only makes things much worse. At least it's not like we lost power and can at least run fans to move around the warm air.

Does anything ever fail first thing in the morning during regular business hours?
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2019, 11:48 AM   #5
WebSlave
AC guy is supposed to be out here this afternoon. Any time between noon and 5 pm.

Last night wasn't too bad. The recirculating fan in the heat pump/AC system doesn't have all that much oomph, so I put on the AC to get more air flow, even though it seemed to just be moving air around. But it was cooler than ambient temp in the house.

I shut down the AC this morning around 11 when the air that was coming out of the vents got warmer than ambient air. Right now the temp inside is 82.6 degrees. Outside it's 92.1 degrees, so no sense opening the windows even if the humidity wouldn't be an issue. Temp up in the attic is 102.7 degrees, so hopefully the AC guy won't have to spend much, if any, time up there. It got up to over 120 degrees up there yesterday.

Probably will be shutting off the computers, as they are definitely heat producers. Might be a good time to take a siesta until the phone rings with the AC guy saying he is on the way.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:24 PM   #6
JColt
Just being down a 1/2 pound can be a lot on a 90 degree day. Hopefully easy and fast fix. Could be several things. Some cheap and easy and some not. Could be compressor run capacitor is bad. Most unit's have one that does fan and compressor. Usually rated 5 (fan) and 35 (compressor) Those are usually $20.00

I know at work, nothing ever breaks between 5:30 am and 1:30 pm. Then I usually get a call between 8pm and 10pm saying, about 3 hours ago......

I had a/c for jail go down. Ended up being fan wire rub coating off and wire was touching metal. No.1 fan would start, stop and reverse! Happened so fast I thought it was just other fan motor causing bad fan to turn backwards. Unhooked wiring to compressors and turned back on. No.1 fast was blowing hot air into coils. Luckily finding short and fixing did the trick because it was Saturday night and no way to get another fan till Monday.

Weds night just hours before court on Thursday I had contactor go bad on court unit. Luckily only 75 for high so I just used contactor for second stage compressor and disabled it.

Last night I got called in because S1 inner door would not shut which disables door S2. I said can you just get by with N1 and N2 till morning? No (why I don't know) I came in and one of the screw heads popped off and when door shut it stuck to inner jamb. Took my hand and knocked broken head to the floor. Said, Well was that worth $180.00 in over time? I get min 3 hours OT when called in.

Be interesting to see what you have going on Rich.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #7
WebSlave
Well, in a way you were correct. Low on freon. Actually OUT of freon. A joint in the copper tubing near the compressor had popped a hole in it somehow and all the freon just blew out. The AC guy found it by pressurizing the system with nitrogen and you could actually feel the pressurized gas blowing out of the hole in the joint. He silver soldered it up, checked the work for leaks, purged the system of air with a vacuum unit, recharged the system and we are good now.

I had to shut off the ceiling fans we had running because I was beginning to feel a bit chilly.

Luckily no broken parts that needed to be ordered. I thought for sure something would need to be ordered and they would be telling me it won't show up for two weeks. I guess Connie and I would be taking a trip somewhere for a couple of weeks.

So all is well now. I feel like we have been brought back to civilization. By 4:20 pm it had gotten up to 86.4 degrees inside the house before the fix was done and temps started ratcheting downwards. It's down to 80.1 degrees right now, which is where we normally like it to be during the day.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:58 PM   #8
JColt
Yep out of doesn't cool well either! lol. It sounded like you were getting some cooling that's why I thought low. Glad your back to the comfort zone. I keep mine at 72. Course I don't have 9 months of warm weather up here to thin blood. I need cool!

Old 09-09-2019, 08:34 PM   #9
WebSlave
Yeah, we definitely have "Florida blood" now. Temps in the 50s feel well below freezing to us. Before we moved down here, Connie and I camped out a couple of times in the late fall, and temps got pretty chilly at night in that tent. But it wasn't all that uncomfortable. Now, heck, we would get frostbite.

We had planned a trip for a week out to Colorado this past Spring, but cancelled out at the last minute. Good thing, too. Temps barely cracked 50 degrees each day, and they had snow showers nearly continuously that entire week we would have been out there. Would have been a miserable time for us.

But that sort of thing seems to be par for the course any time we plan on making a trip somewhere. Matter of fact, if we plan on going somewhere, it is pretty much a given that some sort of disaster or unpleasantness will strike there. We're actually getting rather paranoid about it. As an example, we had planned on going to Colorado the previous Fall. Remember all the fires they had out there then? That Spring trip was actually PLAN B.

We would like to go out to Yellowstone, but with all that talk of the super volcano maybe erupting, we don't dare plan on it. We sure as heck don't want to be the trigger for that.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:33 PM   #10
JColt
The only thing I have really thought about doing is Amtrak to Grand Canyon. They have package deal with 3 nights in hotel at Grand Canyon, Coach accommodations. No driving, no traffic. I can even pick up train a 1/4 mile from my house to Chicago where Canyon trip starts.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!