New green iguana - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-22-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
WildWayz
New green iguana

Hi peeps!

I am a newbie on here and I am new to owning a green iggy. For a long time I have thought about owning an iguana and last week my wife saw one in our local reptile store. He is about 2 years old (I think he is closer to 3 years old).
Anyway, I went to see him today and asked the store about him and his history.

He was brought up by a woman who was a stripper who got pregnant and gave them to the store as she couldnt keep him and deal with pregnancy etc.
A guy bought him and spent a month doing up a room for him only to find out his landlord wouldnt let him have it so he couldnt take him home.

I know some iguanas can take to people and you have to find one who would fit in with you so I asked the store clerk if I could hold him.
The lady got him out of the tank (it tail whipped her a bit until she stroked it then he calmed down) and passed him to me. He scrambled up onto my chest/shoulder and relaxed. As I was stroking him, he started to close his eyes and didnt feel tense. I knew we'd get along - he even liked my wife touching him.

Another store clerk came over and he went ballistic - really aggressive until that clerk walked away.

Is what I experience normal? I KNOW they are high maintainence and my wife and I have a lot of love to bring to him and time to tame him and make him feel content. Heck, we've had vicious ferrets that we tamed - and semi-wild horses that have gone on to be show horses - I know it's not the same, but it shows we dont give up easily.

We paid a deposit on him after going away to think about it and research iguana care and we'll be picking him up after we come back from holiday (about 2 weeks). We're gonna get a tank but we also have a spare room setup for him too (once he gets used to us).

Any tips for room coversions? The room is 7' x 8' and has the combi boiler in it (concealed away so he can't get in there, but it makes the room very warm too). The tank we get him will have a UV lamp, light bulb, water tub, climbing branches etc

James

Old 07-22-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
how large of a tank are you planning on getting him? Iguanas require rather, a Structure that is VERY large. Id go for a 7foot long, 3foot deep and 8 foot tall enclosure for this guy. Tanks just dont cut it for these animals at all.

Otherwise, good luck with him and there are many more experienced Iggy keepers than myself that can give you some really great information.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:27 PM   #3
WildWayz
Hmmm so would a cage be better? Thought tanks were best for maintaining the humidity in the area...
We would be getting a tank about that size but if a cage is best, then we'd get one of them.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:36 PM   #4
Mooing Tricycle
I would think even building one would be your best bet if you can help it. I know my boyfriends sister built hers and it wasnt that difficult, shes also got sliding glass doors for the top and the bottom areas. and a wire top that she places the heat lamps on.

you should google some iguana cages to see what some look like, im betting you can build one for probably 100 bucks if that. im sure you could buy one as well, but shipping would be insane for something like this.

Iguanas just get so large that they really need room, and to any other person id say steer clear. since theyre just too high maintenance to keep. JMHO. ^_^;

Old 07-24-2006, 01:48 PM   #5
number1steakfan
build a cage i have on 78x48x30 (hxlxw) and one 78x72x30 safety glass sides plexi fronts vents uvb light,cermic heat emiter if you buy one like from a catalogue you will be spending a minuim of 1200$ if you need info go to http://www.anapsid.org/ bad idea getting one that old if your new to iguana because you dont know how it was cared for before because most iguanas are not properly cared for

Old 07-31-2006, 01:40 PM   #6
WildWayz
Just an updated:

Picked up Pixel today and he is SO great - a welcomed addition to our family. When we got to the reptile centre the assistant was too nervous to get him out so I did. This is the 1st time I have picked up an Iguana (the 2 times I held him, someone else got him out) and he didnt tail whip me or act aggressive. I cuddled him a bit then put him in the cat carrier to take him home.

Got home and put woodchips in the 6ft vivarium as well as hooked up the 2 lights and the UVB tube. Placed all his logs in the viv and placed his food and drink bowl in the viv too...

Went to get him out of the cat carrier and THWACK - tail whip Not a problem so I stroked him until he closed his eyes then picked him up. He was a little nervous so he left me with a 4" slash on the arm - again, not a problem - had cats and ferrets before... so I put him in his new home.

WOW - he went straight to the food and ate Then basked on the log under the heat bulbs/UVB tube. He'll fit in nicely
Gave him a strawberry and 2 grapes as a moving in gift - he loved them

I will get him out tomorrow once he settles into his new home

Temp in the vivarium is 90 degrees in the warm end - and 55 degrees in the cool end.

James

Old 08-01-2006, 09:23 AM   #7
WildWayz

Old 08-01-2006, 01:05 PM   #8
varnyard
Great looing iggy!!

Old 08-01-2006, 01:12 PM   #9
WildWayz
he has a toe missing - but think that happened a while ago as it has healed up.
My arms are shredded so we clipped his claws - he loves being out and hates being in his vivarium.

God he is an amazing boy

Old 08-01-2006, 01:57 PM   #10
varnyard
I had one many years ago that had one front leg missing, he had no problem getting where he wanted to go.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!