Bad Guy Alec Sweet aka "mobiussweet" - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #41
jrbannister0726
Again we have this amazing thing called google that will tell you whatever you need to know. I.E. what you cant ship through USPS

For the safety and security of USPS personnel, the USPS has declared certain items to be restricted or even outright banned from entering the mailstream. This is meant to protect not only USPS personnel, but you and the rest of the United States public as well. The lists below are not exhaustive. For full details, see USPS Publication 52, Hazardous, Restricted and Perishable Mail.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Items allowed in limited quantities
Many of these items are allowed in the mail in limited quantites, and only under conditions that minimize whatever risk that the substance may pose to Postal employees, property or the public:

Aerosol cans (cannot be shipped airmail or internationally)
Propane or camp-stove-fuel in pressurized cans or tanks (cannot be shipped airmail or internationally)
Spray Paint (cannot be shipped airmail or internationally)
Compressed Air or nitrogen (cannot be shipped internationally)
Rubbing alcohol, witch hazel or acetone (cannot be shipped airmail or internationally)
Paint (cannot be shipped airmail or internationally)
Non-concealable firearms such as rifles (Must be unloaded, and the package cannot have any markings indicating contents. You may be asked to open the package at the time of mailing to verify that the gun is unloaded. Ammunition cannot be shipped through the mail.)
Heirloom and antique (pre-1898) firearms (must be unloaded)
Non-illegal drugs and medicines that are not considered controlled substances (must meet all State and Federal laws, no markings on the package may indicate the contents)
Battery-powered items, such as toys, or clocks (The battery must be removed from the item, though it can be shipped with it, if the battery meets mailing requirements)
Knives, razors, and other sharp instruments (Some knives, such as "switchblade" knives, are heavily restricted. Some may also be illegal to possess in certain cities and states. Please be certain of the local legal situation before mailing.)
Fresh Fruits, fresh vegetables, fresh or frozen meat or fish, and live plants (generally mailable domestically, may be subject to quarantine/refusal depending on state law, check with your local Post Office for current status.)

Many of these items must bear a "Consumer Commodity - ORM-D" label prominently on the mailpiece, and may need special shipping manifests, other labeling/warnings or prior permission from the USPS or other Federal agencies (such as the Department of Transportation). Before mailing, please check with your local Post Office or the USPS website for further details.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Items never allowed by the USPS
These items can never be placed in mail, and attempting to present them for mailing may result in your package being refused, or confiscated, or destroyed and could make you liable for Federal prosecution.

Any item that is illegal under the laws of the United States of America or any State, Territory or Possession, or if shipping internationally, the laws of any destination or waypoint nation. Please check carefully the laws of your destination nation, as well as the International Mail Manual - in most cases, the IMM does not list all things illegal within the destination country.
Handguns or other firearms that can be concealed, whether assembled or disassembled (except between Federal-Firearms-License-holding firearms dealers as part of a sale to an end buyer, or from an FFL dealer to certain members of the military or law enforcement. When allowed, no markings on the mailpiece may indicate contents, and the gun must be unloaded.)
Any sort of firearms ammunition (EXCEPTION -- inert bullets with no cartridge or powder are allowed)
Alcoholic beverages of any sort with an alcohol content 0.5% by weight or greater.
The only exceptions are cold remedies containing alcohol, mouthwash containing alcohol and potable but non-taxable alcohol not intended as a beverage (such as cooking sherry)
Tobacco products of any kind, with the exceptions of highly limited amounts mailed from an adult to an adult as a gift or returns of damaged or defective tobacco products to a licenced manufacturer. If the shipment qualifies, language on the package must declare that the contents can only be accepted by someone 21 or older.
Gasoline (Nonmailable under any circumstance)
Explosives and fireworks
Hydrogen Peroxide when over 20% solution
Tear Gas, pepper spray and other chemical irritants
Liquid-cell batteries (if they are "non-spill", they may be mailable if they meet certain requirements)
Any item containing mercury, including thermometers
Legal narcotics and other controlled substances (the only exception is in cases where special authorization has been granted)
Most live mammals and birds (a few exceptions apply for live poultry)
Any mail packaging that clearly advertises the contents as any of the above - even if the package does not contain the items in question (e.g., reusing an old wine box for shipping)

No excuses

Old 02-04-2011, 08:57 AM   #42
jrbannister0726
9.3.3 Small Cold-Blooded Animals
Small, harmless, cold-blooded animals (except snakes and turtles) that do not require food or water or attention during handling in the mail and that do not create sanitary problems or obnoxious odors are mailable (e.g., baby alligators and caimans not more than 20 inches long, bloodworms, earthworms, mealworms, salamanders, leeches, lizards, snails, and tadpoles).

Old 02-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #43
Lucille
525.3 Reptiles
All snakes, turtles, and poisonous reptiles are nonmailable.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #44
scaledverts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbannister0726 View Post
Like i said before they ask, I mean I only had to take a class and Im certified and if you would like I can go up to the mailroom pull the instruction and scan it in for. Its not my fault your area is following protocol or maybe you just aren't as observent as you think you are.

because rules and regulations prevent it from being a broad generalization.
And like I said, you work at ONE location. I think my observation skills would allow me to "notice" that they asked me what was in a package. So independent of whatever classes or certifications postal employees have to go through, they are not always followed. Are people really so naive that they think the rules are followed just because they are rules?

I am glad that you and the rest of the employees that work at your location actually follow the rules because they are there for a reason, but unfortunately that is not the case everywhere.

You are right the fact that you work at a single location and have ZERO knowledge of actual operating practices at other locations means that you are generalizing. IF he had shipped out of the location you worked at then yes, but otherwise it is all conjecture.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #45
scaledverts
Quote:
Again we have this amazing thing called google that will tell you whatever you need to know. I.E. what you cant ship through USPS
I don't think that was ever in dispute. It has been said multiple times that snakes are not allowed to be shipped via USPS. In my opinion, it is irresponsible to ship any reptile via USPS but that is just my opinion. Alec has already said he is fedex certified now (although there is no proof as of yet) so shipping through USPS should be a non-issue anymore. The real issue left here in my mind is his poor packaging and making sure that is rectified.

The point I was making in earlier posts is that you cannot call him a liar based on a company policy that is not upheld at every location (based on my own experiences with other package types). That is all I am saying.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #46
jrbannister0726
I dont work at the post office, I run the branch in the hospital. Assuming people follow the rules like most people with sense would do, does not make it a broad generalization. I've seen it at several USPS locations not just in my area. the point of all this is that the information is and was available to the person in many forms to prevent it from happening. Again its the person shipping the materials(python) to know the rules before they use the service. its called taking responsibility for you actions. Also it may not be posted where you are but who's to say it wasn't where his wife shipped from? So i believe that leaves you epically burned... Cause no matter how you slice it Im right.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #47
dustinNMpythons
Quote:
And like I said, you work at ONE location. I think my observation skills would allow me to "notice" that they asked me what was in a package. So independent of whatever classes or certifications postal employees have to go through, they are not always followed. Are people really so naive that they think the rules are followed just because they are rules?
Like I said before, every single post office I have been to has asked if the package contents we're liquid, hazardous, or perishable and by asking that they can then decide if its on the ban list if you say yes and then tell them more specifically what is in the box. I've been to dozens of post offices and I guarantee the ones in California and the ones in PA are no different if I was to call down there and ask them. This thread is off topic though. If there is going to be a continued debate about USPS then there needs to be another thread started. This thread is about Alec not about USPS.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #48
scaledverts
Quote:
I dont work at the post office, I run the branch in the hospital. Assuming people follow the rules like most people with sense would do, does not make it a broad generalization. I've seen it at several USPS locations not just in my area.

That's where the problem is. I guess there are some that are naive to the rules being followed.

Quote:
the point of all this is that the information is and was available to the person in many forms to prevent it from happening. Again its the person shipping the materials(python) to know the rules before they use the service. its called taking responsibility for you actions. Also it may not be posted where you are but who's to say it wasn't where his wife shipped from?

You just don't get it huh. I'm not arguing that he should be allowed to ship snakes through USPS. I am arguing that he did not have to LIE about it in order to do it. That is all.

Quote:
So i believe that leaves you epically burned... Cause no matter how you slice it Im right.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #49
scaledverts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinNMpythons View Post
Like I said before, every single post office I have been to has asked if the package contents we're liquid, hazardous, or perishable and by asking that they can then decide if its on the ban list if you say yes and then tell them more specifically what is in the box. I've been to dozens of post offices and I guarantee the ones in California and the ones in PA are no different if I was to call down there and ask them.
That's fine. But I have been to about 10 or so in MO, FL, and PA that have not asked so....yeah. I am sure you can find examples of just about every level of enforcement with the number of post offices across the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinNMpythons View Post
This thread is off topic though. If there is going to be a continued debate about USPS then there needs to be another thread started. This thread is about Alec not about USPS.

It is DIRECTLY related to a claim that was made about Alec being a liar. But I do agree that there is nothing left to discuss about it here as both sides have been laid out already.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #50
jrbannister0726
I just want to make sure you dont think im holding any animosity towards you, because i dont. it just kills me when people make excuse after excuse for shit and the main one is I dont know or didn't know. I didn't know def isn't acceptable with any type of law enforcement. Thats fine for kids, but there is no excuse for adults. if you dont know find out. thats why i made the comment about google. I may only be 21, but this seems to be a more and more common trend among people in gerneral. If they say they didn't know its supposed to excuse them of the responsibility of their actions. the burn thing is from watching to much that 70's show i say it to alot of people so dont take it personally if you did.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!