Info Ashley Caspillo-SakaraGT4/Sakara *Possible Buyer Beware!* - Page 48 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #471
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by amercnwmn View Post
Unfortunately having the one tested still won't rule out IBD.
That's the bitch of this disease.
Perhaps, perhaps not. This is one from Ashley's collection is it not? If so, there's a good chance also that the disease may have taken hold. IMO, it certainly beats standing around panicking.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #472
Elizabethlea27
Yep, no word from her here either Rachel. I am starting to feel and sound like a broken record ...

Old 12-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #473
RachelSS
Oh, and the Bolivians are no longer in my house. I feel like I have my life back.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #474
RachelSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabethlea27 View Post
Yep, no word from her here either Rachel. I am starting to feel and sound like a broken record ...
It will be resolved eventually.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #475
Kaiyudsai
Quote:
Originally Posted by reticguy76 View Post
i am not a herp vet, but ive been in veterinary medicine now for close to 15 years and have owned reptiles a long time now, i have never seen or heard of a true diagnosis of mites causing neurological issue. i have seen mites as one of the rule-out or differential diagnosis in a neurological snake. now, that being said, chemicals that are being used to treat a mite infestation, i have seen cause neurological issues, but usually resolve with time (assuming the keeper recognizes the signs and gets to a vet fairly soon). but i have never seen a legal medical record stating as a single diagnosis "mites or mite infestation"
where im going with this, is that the three things that are generally resposnible for causing continued neurological issues in snakes, temperature (usually too hot in its microenvironment, chemicals (either cleaning or treating for parasites), and ibd.

i would assume that as a keeper, your temps are probably correct. i would say, that chemicals could be a part in it or be causing it, and/or ibd. if its chemicals, it should hopefully stop acting neuro once chemicals are stopped. if it continues and/or gets worse, ibd is highly highly suspect.

all of this is, or course, based on if that snake is actually neurologic and not just laying that way for a period of time

a video, and some handling would definately be beneficial
There are so many other things that cause the same neurological issues.. that are far more common... like ameobiasis (Entameoba histolytica) ... or any bacterium or fungi that is able to colonize in the CNS... which can happen following septicemia.... mites are commonly a vector for these infections.....

then there is toxicity.... which may or may not resolve itself once the toxic agent is removed....

Now the mite issue.... in this day and age.... with the knowledge of proper quarantine protocols.. there is no reason for having a mite outbreak... I havent had mites in probably 15 years.... But then I only buy from a handful of people and NOONE brings snakes over or comes over and handles my animals....

You really have to do your homework before buying from people.... Sakara has been known to buy and sell lots of snakes... that's a big red flag.... Everyone's seen pics on forums of her "facility" and there is never any mention of quarantine ......

Old 12-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #476
Elizabethlea27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelSS View Post
Oh, and the Bolivians are no longer in my house. I feel like I have my life back.

Great!!!! Did you send them back!

Old 12-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #477
RachelSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabethlea27 View Post
Great!!!! Did you send them back!
they're at a friends house who doesn't have snakes but isn't afraid of them

Old 12-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #478
Elizabethlea27
Ok well good enough glad that is not weighing on you anymore.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #479
amercnwmn
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus View Post
Perhaps, perhaps not. This is one from Ashley's collection is it not? If so, there's a good chance also that the disease may have taken hold. IMO, it certainly beats standing around panicking.
I do agree.
I'm only considering there was another instance of chemical reaction to the mite spray in another snake, and it's Thrus & so close to the holiday & weekend (vets and labs will be closed), in THIS instance, I'd hold off at least 'til next week.

If it's just CNS symptoms from a chemical reaction, that MAY give the snake time to respond to supportive therapy (soaks, hydration). Time for the vet to look it over and give a recommendation, and the vets/labs will be open so there'll be no delays and testing won't be hindered by delays in shipping/office hours.

If we weren't this close to the holiday weekend and there wasn't a possibility of it being something else, I'd say "go for it." As it stands, the test still can show negative, and the snake could still be subclinical for IBD.

I hate all the unknowns.

MY advice is to get the blood work done, watch all of them like a hawk, continue supportive therapy (soaks, hydration) and keep it AWAY from the others.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #480
reticguy76
very very true. in that respect, i was merely speeking from what we see in my area and clinic(s). the toxicity issue, seems to be more rectifying quality based on route. meaning, fume exposure vs actual contact and potential ingestion. my personal case was fume based resolvement.
my understanding of readings and such, is that ibd in mites is associated with the true snake mite (ophionyssus natricis) that is seems to be the usual suspect that comes in with imported snakes.

and there are tons of issues that can cause or lead to neurologic issues. i was merely pointing out a couple of the most common and basic ones (not getting into all the medical realm of neuro stuff)

excellent post marc. i agree, mites are something that shouldnt need to be dealt with much these days, with all the rave with new morphs that are all cbb for a few generations now

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
ibd