Trader's Ratings promotion - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #31
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
I think you meant John Farr (dogshead3) and I do agree.
Yes, the combination of no editing, poor eyesight, and lack of sufficient coffee contributed to the misspelling, thank you for correcting that.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #32
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I noticed that a recent recipient of a BOI thread, John Carr, has a positive trader rating by you.
I do think that just as everyone should read an entire BOI thread prior coming to any conclusions, likewise, people should carefully read the trader ratings to see why they were received.
Had you given him (or anyone) your personal positive rating based on a good transaction, that would weigh heavily (to me) in the favor of the person rated because of your knowledge and experience.
But this rating was based on a membership purchase and I believe you have refunded that purchase price.

I would like you to consider removing that rating because I believe it may be misleading, he does not have the positive transactions to back it up and he is no longer financially supportive of your site.
Well, I do see the logic of what you are saying, and my first reaction was to just leave it be. After all he did make the payment for a sponsorship, and that does help to support this site, for which I am thankful for. And it would seem to be rather petty of me to remove the positive feedback solely because of his later libelous (IMHO) comments about this site.

However, on the other hand he DID request a refund, did he not? With that in mind, such a request would mean that he was withdrawing his support of the site. And shouldn't I, in like turn, also withdraw my now negated gesture of appreciation for his withdrawn support?

Of course, on the third hand, would this open up a big 'ole sinking can of worms from people who also had something go sour on them after they used the Trader's Ratings system to show a positive transaction that later went bad on them?

Old 12-09-2018, 10:18 PM   #33
Lucille
I appreciate that you have read and considered my post. I do think a positive trader rating for Mr. Farr may be misleading if readers use it to forecast behavior on his part, but I also feel that anyone who actually looked into his, or anyone's, trader ratings would most likely be familiar with the BOI and its support for community opinion, and have the information posted there available to help them in their decisions.

I am very supportive of the trader ratings where buyers and sellers rate each other. And I'm supportive of most of the programs that encourage financial support here because this is a wonderful site and you have worked tirelessly to make it that way.
But I feel about the promotion the way I feel about the history of purchased indulgences or present day political contributions, but fortunately God, the New York Times and the BOI help level the field.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:08 AM   #34
WebSlave
Point of the matter is that no matter who paid for a membership or sponsorship, whether they were the worst of the worst, according to Board of Inquiry standards, I would still be obligated to give them a positive Trader's Rating regardless. To not do so would then put me in the position of a judge, and have to choose who gets a good rating and who does not based on third party information posted in one or more BOI threads. In the manner in which I have chosen to do this, the evidence is black and white: Someone pays for a membership or sponsorship, then they have made a POSITIVE contribution to this site. No "ifs", "ands" or "buts" about it. Very simple, easy and fool proof, I figured. What could possibly go wrong with something this easy and apparently a win-win for everyone?

Old 12-10-2018, 10:16 AM   #35
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Point of the matter is that no matter who paid for a membership or sponsorship, whether they were the worst of the worst, according to Board of Inquiry standards, I would still be obligated to give them a positive Trader's Rating regardless. To not do so would then put me in the position of a judge, and have to choose who gets a good rating and who does not based on third party information posted in one or more BOI threads.
I totally understand and agree with the concept of avoiding liability due to the 'judge' issue. Though, in this case, the payment was refunded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
What could possibly go wrong with something this easy and apparently a win-win for everyone?
Going into it, the promotion did seem like a great idea, and then the issue with Farr occurred.
The risk in doing nothing (with only the promotion part of the ratings) post Farr is that readers may see it as a way for skunks to buy perfume (or actually be misled by the sweet scent). They may possibly then discount the actual ratings part of the trader rating program which I think is a valuable tool.
Or they may investigate to see why each rating was given, and may discount only the promotion ratings as perfume instead of seeing the original intent which was to honor those who help this site.
Or maybe I'm overthinking all this and the ratings may pass unnoticed.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:19 PM   #36
AbsoluteApril
I would hope users would review what the actual ratings are for and also review any references and BOI threads as well as any other avenues available to them before doing business with someone. Simply because someone was being rude or did a bad deal, doesn't mean whatever positive action was taken in the past should be wiped from the slate. Just as someone who did good shouldn't have past bad marks removed. It's up to individuals to do their due diligence before spending hard earned money with someone. IMO

Old 12-10-2018, 01:03 PM   #37
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I also feel that anyone who actually looked into his, or anyone's, trader ratings would most likely be familiar with the BOI and its support for community opinion, and have the information posted there available to help them in their decisions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
I would hope users would review what the actual ratings are for and also review any references and BOI threads as well as any other avenues available to them before doing business with someone. IMO
Hopefully, everyone does read all the available information.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #38
WebSlave
After due consideration, I decided that someone paying for a sponsorship, then retracting their support by asking for a refund AND threatening a lawsuit is sufficient grounds for me to withdraw my positive Trader's Rating. The fact that this person was also libeling this site (IMHO) was supporting incentive for me to flip the rating from a POSITIVE to a NEGATIVE.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #39
Lucille
Your thoughtful decision is well done, and no broader than it had to be. You are a smart guy.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!