Bothrophthalmus lineatus/ Red-black Striped Snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #1
Ken Diehl
Bothrophthalmus lineatus/ Red-black Striped Snake

Hello.....does anyone have any experience with captive husbandry and breeding of the Red-black Striped Snake (Bothrophthalmus lineatus lineatus) fro Togo Africa?

Very little seems to be know of this species, and I will have a pair soon, wanted to "reach-out" to this group.

Thanks, Ken (210-393-1524)

Old 10-13-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
Donald C
I would recommend reaching out to the seller as to the country of origin of the animals. From there, you can lookup temperature ranges throughout the year, humidity levels, and rainfall levels. You can take an average of the values and use that as a baseline starting point.

Watch their behavior carefully. If they spend all their time on the cool side, the temps are too high, so drop the temps ~5 degrees on both ends and watch. Rinse and repeat until they appear comfortable with the environmental conditions.

From what I can find, these are terrestrial snakes that like hiding underground, so give them a nice deep layer of bedding in the final cage setup. I would recommend using paper at the start simply so that you can spot any abnormalities in fecal and urate deposits.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:06 AM   #3
Ken Diehl
Thanks Donald....I have made a number of communications with not only the importer, but residents in Africa. I will do a fecal float on them, both have fed 3 times since being in the states 3 weeks. Really excited about his project and thank you for responding....Ken

Old 10-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #4
Donald C
I wish you the best with them. I'll admit that the temptation was there when I saw the ad.

When you get them fully established, setup, and comfortable, it would be really neat to see a detailed care sheet on them. My rather cursory search on them did return a fairly low information yield.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:30 AM   #5
Ken Diehl
Hey Donald, I have already prepared a Background paper on the species and will include more info. as my experience with them pass. But, just like every living creature project, I just hope they thrive....and not pass away on me.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #6
Ken Diehl
Here is my Pair!...:)

Name:  Female upon arrival 10-17-2017.jpg
Views: 2005
Size:  315.9 KB
Name:  Male upon arrival 10-17-2017.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  323.6 KB

Old 10-25-2017, 11:57 AM   #7
Donald C
Gorgeous!

Old 04-27-2018, 10:34 PM   #8
kingpinreptiles
Ken.. how are those doing?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!