Need help w/habititat for red ear sliders - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
Paloma
Need help w/habititat for red ear sliders

I inherited two 7-inch red ear sliders (one female nand one male). Never had any. Am wondering how to make habitat for them that won't cost a fortune. I don't have anything. For the moment they are in a 40-gal aquarium but I know that isn't nearly big enough. I live in SW Virginia. Was hoping to keep them in a child's wading pool on a screened-in porch but learned that they need a heater. Considering how dirty they have gotten the 40-gallon tank in one day I guess they need some kind of filtration system. I can't go buy a 200-gallon tank. Any suggestions?

Old 05-08-2018, 08:44 PM   #2
nickolasanastasiou
Moved this from the classifieds to the discussion forums.

Stock tanks may provide you with affordable housing options. You can build a frame or skirt to hide the "ugliness" of the tank and decorate to your liking. Water changes may be better for you than filtration, but it depends on how you manage things and what you find practical. Heavy duty filtration is needed if frequent water changes are not feasible. There are some DIY plans out there for cheaper gravity and pump designs that work well, but I have not looked in ages. Use plants (protected from the turtles) to assist with filtration as well. Pothos, water hyacinth, and mangroves are among commonly used plants. Google all of this if no one provides anything more (and then use Google anyway). I rarely discuss care because it is a topic that burns me out, but these mentions should be able to get you started. Good luck!

Old 05-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #3
Paloma
Thanks. I appreciate the prompt reply.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!