Blocked glottis on snake -any advice urgently welcome - Page 14 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:33 AM   #131
hotlips
Evening 'sun' probably wasn't enough, but who knows? I truly wouldn't use cat food though, there's just way too many ingredients that aren't normal for a snake. I sure hope he shows improvement soon.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:59 PM   #132
Helenthereef
Qualified success

Small update: after months of forcing beaten egg with vitamins and probiotics down his throat (and dealing with simply APPALLINGLY stinky stools ), last night I pushed a small piece of chicken wing into him, and this morning it is still inside him (unlike last time when it was sitting proudly regurgitated on the floor of his tank).

On the eggs he's been maintaining weight, and reasonably active, but not exactly thriving. He's still actively recoiling from food offered, but if I can get his system working on solid foods I'll feel as though we are heading slightly in the right direction instead of just stopping him from suicidal starving.

Still a mystery to me what happened here, and why it has persisted so long, but I'll be very happy if this little piece of chicken makes it all the way through to being a proper stool. Of such things dreams are made.....

Old 07-19-2018, 09:49 PM   #133
bcr229
Fingers crossed he keeps it down.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:54 PM   #134
Helenthereef
Thanks, will update as anything changes.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:13 AM   #135
hotlips
I've been wondering if you've had any change or luck. Fingers crossed here too.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:24 AM   #136
Helenthereef
Well, it's been almost 24 hours now, so hopefully some amount of digestion is going on....

It's cold at night here now (down to 20oC / around 70oF at night, 26 - 28oC/ 80 - 82oF daytime) so my other males are off feed for a few months as as part of their natural cycle. However, Samael still has his hot rock so I hope that will enable digestion, and if it does, who knows? When the others come back on feed maybe he will too.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:17 AM   #137
Helenthereef
He kept the chicken internalised, now for 12 days, including another piece I forced down him 7 days after the first, (for which I am grateful), but no stool yet.

Chances are he's so empty he's digested the lot, but in another day or so I think I'll do the beaten egg thing again, as that usually gets his digestive system working.....

The reptile vitamin and calcium supplements are here now, so I can at least fortify the egg with something approaching what he should be having vs the fairly random amounts of kids' vitamins I've been giving him.

He's drinking and bathing today, and he seems OK. He must have the constitution of an ox to have withstood all this so far! It's now over a year since he ate regularly voluntarily, and 9 months since he first got sick.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:55 AM   #138
richardhind1972
Thanks for the update Helen,glad he’s still ok

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Old 08-03-2018, 11:29 AM   #139
AbsoluteApril
I'm so glad he's been keeping some solid food down finally!

Old 08-05-2018, 08:19 PM   #140
Helenthereef
Thanks both!

Last night I gave him another beaten egg with the Fluker reptile liquid vitamins and calcium supplements, using the new #12 feeding tube and 60 ml syringe from the Bean Farm - a LOT easier than my makeshift 50 ml syringe and oxygen tubing. Less stress for all of us.

I am very surprised at the strength of the vitamin supplement though - I had not been able to find the correct dosages for reptiles when I looked on line, but now I see the contents listed on the reptile supplement bottles I can see they are more than 100 x those in the human baby/toddler vitamin drops I had been using. I think I'll start a thread specifically about that, as I could not find any doseage information when I was searching, and it might be helpful to someone else in future.

So, although of course, eggs have lots of vitamins and nutrients, I may have been severely underdosing him with the baby vitamin supplements. Now I have the proper amounts hopefully he'll start to perk up. Watch this space....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!