NDOW Straight up lies - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #1
Stephenson8011
NDOW Straight up lies

Nevada Department of Wildlife straight up lied to me!!!!

I left a message for them last week wanting to inquire about the importation of an albino form of a native venomous species. NAC 503.140 specifically states that no permits are required to import or possess any albino form of any native species of reptiles. Just to do my due diligence I called them anyway to double check. There was no hesitation on the phone, they gave me a resounding NO. I quoted the laws to the representative and all he would say is that “They don’t allow it”.

Luckily for me, down in Las Vegas is Exotic Pets Las Vegas. The owner is a super cool guy who sometimes sells Albino Atrox so I called and spoke with him. Come to find out he was the one who sat down with NDOW and wrote the law back in the day. He fully explained to me why and how the law came into effect and why albino native are legal. It all started in order to sell Albino California King Snakes, but it was left so broad that all native venomous fell under it.

It kills me that sometimes these laws are so clear in black and white but any person in authority can just give you the opposite answer. But I’m not surprised since even the Supreme Court said it’s legal for cops to lie to citizens.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:49 AM   #2
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenson8011 View Post
Nevada Department of Wildlife straight up lied to me!!!!

I left a message for them last week wanting to inquire about the importation of an albino form of a native venomous species. NAC 503.140 specifically states that no permits are required to import or possess any albino form of any native species of reptiles. Just to do my due diligence I called them anyway to double check. There was no hesitation on the phone, they gave me a resounding NO. I quoted the laws to the representative and all he would say is that “They don’t allow it”.

Luckily for me, down in Las Vegas is Exotic Pets Las Vegas. The owner is a super cool guy who sometimes sells Albino Atrox so I called and spoke with him. Come to find out he was the one who sat down with NDOW and wrote the law back in the day. He fully explained to me why and how the law came into effect and why albino native are legal. It all started in order to sell Albino California King Snakes, but it was left so broad that all native venomous fell under it.

It kills me that sometimes these laws are so clear in black and white but any person in authority can just give you the opposite answer. But I’m not surprised since even the Supreme Court said it’s legal for cops to lie to citizens.
When you read a law, it is important to read the entire statute, as it may include language that pertains to the subsection you are interested in. For instance, NAC 503.140 begins by saying 'Except as otherwise provided in subsection 4' and some other sections. Here is subsection 4:
4.  This section does not authorize the sale, possession, transportation, importation or exportation of animals in violation of any applicable federal or state law, county or city ordinance, or any regulation adopted pursuant thereto.

You live in Reno, and Reno is in Washoe County. Just last month, in April, Washoe County has activated new statutory language applying to hots and requiring a permit for possession in ordinance #1609. Unlike NAC 503.140, no exception is made for possession without permit of albino forms of native reptiles.

https://www.washoecounty.us/animal/f...tic_permit.pdf

Old 05-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #3
Stephenson8011
Yeah I read about the new Washoe County ordinance. I actually live outside of Reno in Carson county so I’m good. Reno is just the closest city.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #4
Stephenson8011
I should specify that I told NDOW that I live in Carson county as well

Old 05-31-2018, 09:44 PM   #5
RCampbell
Nevada Administrative Code (NAC) are not the only laws regulating native wildlife in Nevada. Nevada Revised Satutes (NRS) also have extensive coverage.
Make sure that Carson City doesn't have municipal codes prohibiting possession as well (While the State Capitol...Carson City is an Independent City and not technically a County, Ormsby County was sunk and consolidated into Carson City in 1969).

Old 05-31-2018, 10:23 PM   #6
Stephenson8011
I am well aware that I need to look at county and city laws as well thank you

Old 06-07-2018, 07:45 PM   #7
hotlips
I'm not trying to take sides here, but just remember that the guy SELLING something has a vested interest in doing just that...NOT for making sure that you don't run afoul of local laws. People on all sides can be misinformed or deliberately lying...so be sure of your own research before buying.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:45 AM   #8
blueboost68
Ken is a great guy and hard to beat on his knowledge of reptiles he has been there and done that I can assure you .

Old 04-20-2019, 10:51 AM   #9
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboost68 View Post
Ken is a great guy and hard to beat on his knowledge of reptiles he has been there and done that I can assure you .
To whom are you referring? There doesn't seem to be a Ken on the thread?

Old 04-20-2019, 11:03 AM   #10
Stephenson8011
He’s talking about the owner of Exotic Pets Las Vegas. Ken Foose, he literally wrote the venomous ownership laws in the state of Nevada.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!