Heat tape in snake rack melted tub? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:23 AM   #1
Nickavr26
Heat tape in snake rack melted tub?

Hi a month ago about I ordered and revived a 4 tub rack from a reputable company with a VE-200D thermostat. Everything was going great had the thermostat set at 85 and it’s been stable and great since I set it up. But today after I came home from work I noticed when I opened a tub it felt really hot so I checked the thermostat and the probe was on the cold side and it was 95!! I instantly unplugged it and took the snakes out luckily there all fine but when I was taking them out I noticed about a sliver dollar if by larger hole in the top tub where the heat tape is under. I emailed the company I got it form instantly because I’ve never had this happen before. What happened and what can I do ? Is it safe to still use that thermostat and rack ? Currently I turned my house up to 80 degrees so my snakes won’t get cold since the racks un plugged but I have no idea what to do!

Old 05-17-2018, 09:46 AM   #2
bcr229
Had the probe been moved? In a rack it's supposed to be secured between the heat tape and the rack itself. How did it end up on the cold side?

Old 05-17-2018, 09:49 AM   #3
Nickavr26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Had the probe been moved? In a rack it's supposed to be secured between the heat tape and the rack itself. How did it end up on the cold side?
It must have slid back when I was pulling the tub out to give them water and I didn’t notice until I came home and it was insanely hot.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #4
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickavr26 View Post
It must have slid back when I was pulling the tub out to give them water and I didn’t notice until I came home and it was insanely hot.
Well of course the heat tape is going to run hot when the thermostat probe is moved away from the heat source.

Usually the tubs are wider at the top than the bottom so you can find a place off to one side to insert the thermostat probe between the heat tape and the rack floor where the tub won't impact it when you slide the tub in and out of the rack. You can also use a piece of tape to secure the cord so that the probe can't move off of the heat tape.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:51 AM   #5
Nickavr26
[quote=bcr229;2075953]Well of course the heat tape is going to run hot when the thermostat probe is moved away from the heat source.

Usually the tubs are wider at the top than the bottom so you can find a place off to one side to insert the thermostat probe between the heat tape and the rack floor where the tub won't impact it when you slide the tub in and out of the rack. You can also use a piece of tape to secure the cord so that the probe can't move off of the heat tape.[/
I always have it secured under the tub onto the heat tape. What must of happened was when I was giving the snake water with the probe under the tub I pulled it forward and accidentally moved the probe which somehow became out of place. I’m defintelt going to tape it down so I never have to worry about this happening again. I obviously have to get a new tub but with the probe taped down do you think I can continue using the same rack with the heat tape the melted the tub?

Old 05-17-2018, 12:39 PM   #6
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickavr26 View Post
I obviously have to get a new tub but with the probe taped down do you think I can continue using the same rack with the heat tape the melted the tub?
No way to tell without visually inspecting the heat tape for damage.

Old 08-03-2019, 01:30 AM   #7
Serpent Designs
happened to me recently in a rack. I think my snakes got a little too heavy and bowed the tubs bottom side causing it to completely rest on the pad with the weight.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!