For Sale 13 Inch FEMALE LEOPARD TORTOISE - Egg Layer Size - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Other For Sale/Wanteds Classifieds > Turtles/Tortoises

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #21
Texastravis
The tail is why I said that it is a she. Your right about tail size on males, they are quite large because this is where the male organ develops. There is a small chance that this 9" tortoise's male organs have not yet been developed, especially since he was malnutritioned at a younger age. He could have grown so fast while still being to young to develop his penis. 2 of my "probable" females had female tails at 7.8" and 8.2" and both over the course of a couple months developed their penis.

Either way it doesnt matter. Tortoise breeders understand that when buying a non proven female there is always a good chance of being/becoming male or being infertile. Hence the large difference in price between proven and nonproven.

you wont have too much of a problem selling he/she but it is a lot harder selling tortoises that were previously malnutritioned, especially sunk in shells. Not for fear of health problems but rather her so called uglyness.

I have been considering purchasing this tortoise since I do plan on attending the breeder's expo. I have some other tortoises I am working on right now though. I will get back to you eventually.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #22
Jason Abels
Grateful for everyones help and point of view. Travis, this animal is 13.5 inches, not 9 inches :-) Either way, he/she seems to be a mystery.

I sent off a few pictures detailing this animals flat plastron, V shaped anal scutes and short stubby tail to a very well known and internationally respected Leopard tortoise expert and author for his analysis. He agrees that this is a confusing case. He said he can not be 100% either way, but based solely on the anal scutes that is a male. That being said, he agrees the tail and plastron features look female. As a result, I am now offering this 13.5 INCH LEOPARD TORTOISE OF UNKNOWN GENDER for $900 to the 1st person that wants her which I think is more then fair.

Jason
  Contact User Check User
Old 07-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #23
Texastravis
oops, your engineering scale/ruler through me off. I was thinking she was around 25 cm from pic but wrong type of ruler! hmm 13"....should def have a penis by now!

Old 07-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #24
Jason Abels
I totally agree, Travis.
  Contact User Check User
Old 08-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #25
Jason Abels
Bump! :-)
  Contact User Check User
Old 08-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #26
Jason Abels
Still Available $900
  Contact User Check User
Old 08-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #27
Jason Abels
Bump! $900
  Contact User Check User
Old 08-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #28
Jason Abels
Still have this, heavy, large probable female Adult Leopard Tortoise avalable for $900. She eats grass like a Sulcata
  Contact User Check User
Old 08-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #29
Jason Abels
I had this tortoise sold but the bonehead never sent me the money so it is available again to add to your breeding project.
  Contact User Check User

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!