An Awful Adoption Experience - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #21
ShadowAceD
If a rescue ever deems I am unable to properly care for an animal or be the perfect home for a given dog, I'm sorry, but they are grossly mistaken and I know the same that has happened to many people.

I've spent thousands of dollars on a dog I adopted for 75.00 from a kill shelter because he has a medical condition that is going to drastically shorten his life. I can only increase his years by a few, but I do it readily.

I spent hundreds more on a dog I adopted that had severe mental issues and ultimately had to be put down after I tried everything possible to help him. I had him for less than two years and because of that? I was denied another dog from a rescue along the Gulf Coast. No matter how I explained it to them and no matter the vet. records, they deemed I was not a fit future pet parent with one of their animals. This was three years ago and that dog is STILL not adopted because he was an older dog and is now nearing the end of his life span.

I kept a stray dog that knows tricks, is completely house broken, submissive and sweet that showed up at my house because she is heartworm positive and NO rescue between Florida and Louisiana would take her. Nor would they help me get her treated by their vet. for the cost they pay for heartworm treatment. Understand, in the state of Florida, where I found this dog, rescues cannot take in strays, only owner surrenders. So I had to make this dog mine. I had to go and pay for her shots and a wellness check BEFORE I could be told no one would take her.

I kept and paid for the shots, spay and training of an American Bulldog cross that I found at a dumpster as a five week old for six months before I homed her with my in-laws, knowing when I found the dog, I was not going to be able to keep her.

I have pulled stray dogs off the street during the winter and put them into my garage or laundry room with water, food and blankets so they could be warm and comfortable before I brought them to a shelter to be reclaimed by their owners or to find new ones.

I have volunteered at shelters for years to sit and play with dogs or walk them and give them a little bit of peace and love before the inevitable was to happen to them.

But no, I am not fit to adopt from some of these "rescues".

I did all of these things selflessly and will continue to do them. But do rescues ask about that? No.

Do rescues ask me for photos of my dog that was skin pulled over bones when I first adopted him and near death compared to now? No.

Do they even really ask about the animals I currently own besides what breeds and ages? No.

I have been turned down JUST because I had another male dog who was NUETERED and submissive while trying to adopt another dog that was submissive as well.

Rescues make too many assumptions. They decline people who are perfectly capable and willing to care for the animals they are trying to adopt based on stupid mistakes or simple bias in the application process.

I know you work for rescues and I respect that, but the system is largely screwed up and it is getting worse by the year. As stated before, I would sooner pull a dog from a kill shelter at this point then deal with the crap I've had to put up with for rescues again. Those animals will not be euthanized, so they can sit and wait until someone puts in the absolute perfect application while sneezing rainbows and butterflies.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #22
ShadowAceD
I am not attacking you, by the way. This is just how I've come to feel about rescues and little is probably going to change it.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #23
SilverRaichu
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadenglock View Post
As a person who works in a rescue, i do disagree with some of these requirements for adoption ive read. However, be aware adopters, that as a rescue, it is their responsibility to ensure these animals are going to good homes, therefore they will not trust anyone until they have proof that they will take good care of potential adopted animals. Some of the requirements i do agree with when asking a potential adopter would be.
1. the food you will feed them
2. previous animals owned
3. veterinarian records of the previous animals owned.
4. where you live and if you rent or own your own property.
5. Home inspection (this depends on the species of animal being adopted).
6. If the animal is a small mammal or reptile, what their enclosure will be.
7. Personal information about you (I.E. phone number, address, etc....)
8. Why you want to adopt this animal.
Rescue's original intentions are all good, but how can you justify people like us who dedicate thier lives to their pets being denied adoption from rescues for reasons like "feeding blue buffalo" (which btw is an awesome food and i cant find any reason why anyone shouldnt feed it to their pets), "not neutering at the 'standard' age" etc?

1. the food you will feed them< NO I dont agree with this. If they want to know what we feed is one thing, but if they are asking this on an application, then there is clearly a chance that if they dont agree with what you plan to feed they'll deny you.
I work at petsmart, only for 2 1/2 years, i knew nothing about pet nutrition, my dogs ate grocery store dogs foods, alpo/pedigree/store brand etc, my dog lived to be 16 and didnt get sick until her last year and my current dog still eats pedigree as well as pro-plan and even nutro depending on my budget and my cats eat friskees cat food. My pets are more healthier then half the people who shop for the healthy food at my store, they come in saying "my cat needs this" "my dog cant eat that" "theyre allergic to whatever" not against holistic food, its just not in my budget, but my point is a dog could live healthy on less quality food, its no reason to deny a pet a home because of it.

If you can somehow justify that a rescue tells me i can adopt one of their dogs and never contacts me and ignores my efforts to contact me
then PLEASE be my guest, I'd like to hear it from someone who is in rescue

I support ShadowAceD's post

Old 11-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #24
Lucille
Excellent post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAceD View Post
sit and wait
And there's the catch. When a rescue becomes a bureaucracy, adopting by checklist instead of by personally checking out the adopter, it is the critter who suffers through the delays while the perfect home is sought. Just as in an orphanage for humans, the foster care may be adequate, but both kids and dogs want their own forever family to love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAceD View Post

Rescues make too many assumptions. They decline people who are perfectly capable and willing to care for the animals they are trying to adopt based on stupid mistakes or simple bias in the application process.
Exactly. There are some rescues which are excellent, but no one can argue that there are too many that are all procedure and no substance.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #25
SilverRaichu
I also forgot to mention taht some of these rescues are asking things that have nothing to do with caring for a pet, like asking for a drivers license, so if I dont drive Im unsuitable to care for a pet? How about my local shelter wants my ssn#? Why would something like that be necessary?

I dont mean anything against you personally, Im still mad about what that rescue did and to this day I'm still getting no word, no closure. This is seriously irritating me, I agree with ShadowAceD, the system is severely corrupted and as long as it continues to get worse, then the whole "dont shop, adopt" cause will go to the ground.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #26
ShadowAceD
The ACO who adopted Bruce to me cried when she saw this, but no rescue has ever asked me for it or even about hoow much effort I've put into him.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #27
SilverRaichu
He looks awesome, ShadowAceD, so happy too!

I work at petsmart as I said and I work in the fish/repties/small animals/birds, and I deal with all kinds of people an trust me, you dont need to make someone fill out no 10 page paper work to see whos fit to have pets and who isnt, having a good 30-40 minute conversation with someone tells you enough.
If adoption was more 1 on 1/personal, I think the system would be much better.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #28
Shadera
Don't get me started on petsmart. They're headed down that road with their adoption forms for small animals. I know they mean well and I know it's company policy employees may or may not agree with, but I'm sure there are people out there that are insulted/horrified when the employee turns around and looks you straight in the face and asks, "is this food for another animal?" Yep, did happen, when I purchased a mouse a couple months ago. No, he was not and is not food, fwiw.

Back to rescues. Most recent reasons for being told to take a hike: I live too far away, after I sent an email asking up front if they'd consider adopting as far as where I live, and their answer was, "fill out the application". Stupid me for thinking that meant sure thing. Why do we waste each others' time?

Next reason is that I live too close to a road, and my fence isn't the right fence. They want six foot chain link. Around all the acreage too apparently.

I give. There are plenty of other places to find a pooch.

Here's an idea, rescues - since you demand that we live within farting distance to adopt, why not ditch the informal, ugly questionnaires, and schedule an hour or so for us to come in, and we just sit down and TALK. I dunno, maybe bring in a pet of ours or two, so you can see with your own eyes what our level of care looks like. No job interview type stuff, either. Just a free-flowing conversation back and forth that lets you get to know us, and us to know you. You'd be amazed at what gut feeling will tell you about someone at the end of a short conversation like that.

It's not related to dogs, but I did ferret rescue back in the early 90's. Back then, adoption pretty much consisted of hey if your herd are vaccinated and all that, bring 'em on over and we'll see who they get along with and that's who you can take home that day. Things have changed, and not for the better.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #29
SilverRaichu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
Don't get me started on petsmart. They're headed down that road with their adoption forms for small animals. I know they mean well and I know it's company policy employees may or may not agree with, but I'm sure there are people out there that are insulted/horrified when the employee turns around and looks you straight in the face and asks, "is this food for another animal?" Yep, did happen, when I purchased a mouse a couple months ago. No, he was not and is not food, fwiw.
Not really talking in Petsmart's defense, but when the adoptions become available we do get a lot of people asking if they can take them to feed snakes because theyre having trouble finding stores that sell live. Even mice for sale people ask if they can buy it for food. We even had a guy once buy a mouse and buy cage, food, and he came back the next day and returned everything but the mouse. he said the mouse died but he didnt want to return it. So not sure what really happened to the mouse but its the reason we have to ask. Not sure about other petsmarts but we dont even ask most people unless they seem suspicious or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
Back to rescues. Most recent reasons for being told to take a hike: I live too far away, after I sent an email asking up front if they'd consider adopting as far as where I live, and their answer was, "fill out the application". Stupid me for thinking that meant sure thing. Why do we waste each others' time?

Next reason is that I live too close to a road, and my fence isn't the right fence. They want six foot chain link. Around all the acreage too apparently.

I give. There are plenty of other places to find a pooch.

Here's an idea, rescues - since you demand that we live within farting distance to adopt, why not ditch the informal, ugly questionnaires, and schedule an hour or so for us to come in, and we just sit down and TALK. I dunno, maybe bring in a pet of ours or two, so you can see with your own eyes what our level of care looks like. No job interview type stuff, either. Just a free-flowing conversation back and forth that lets you get to know us, and us to know you. You'd be amazed at what gut feeling will tell you about someone at the end of a short conversation like that.

It's not related to dogs, but I did ferret rescue back in the early 90's. Back then, adoption pretty much consisted of hey if your herd are vaccinated and all that, bring 'em on over and we'll see who they get along with and that's who you can take home that day. Things have changed, and not for the better.
This exactly what it should be.
But for some reason people feel lots of paperworks tells a lot of about people

Old 11-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #30
Shadera
I apologize for the back-to-back posts, but I'm feeling surly now.

We bought this place a couple months ago. We don't intend to start adding our farm animals until next year, so the land is lying, unused. It's great pasture, nice and healthy and well irrigated compared to a lot of what I see livestock grazing around here. We thought hey, we should call up a horse rescue, and volunteer the use of our land and barn for the winter/spring. All we'd ask in return is that they send out a couple volunteers to help us fix the roof on the barn so it doesn't leak. I can't quite do it myself and Shawn is handicapped. Montana has a horse in every yard, and much like many dog rescues across the nation, horse rescues are always overflowing and desperate.

So we finally find a rescue nearby, and hubby talks to them on the phone. They say it's fantastic of us to offer, and getting someone out here to get the barn roof fixed is no problem. The lady is practically crying with joy. She wants to know if she can swing by in the next few days to have a look at the fencing and meet us. At that time, we'd just bought the house, and I was driving an hour each way every day to go paint and other small jobs. I said sure, just give me a call. I was down at the house daily for the next two weeks, and nothing. Not so much as a phone call. Found out from the next door neighbor that she'd been by her place so they could go out to dinner, though.

So we decide to forget about them. I'm not chasing anyone anymore.

Two weeks later, I get a phone call from a different lady at that rescue. They're desperate for a place to put these two young horses who need to be moved, yesterday. Sure I say, as soon as someone comes out here as promised to look at the fence, and the barn. I've been around the property line once, and can't remember offhand if there's any barbed wire in there. She says the fence is the bigger issue, and she's not sure they can come up with people to help fix the leaky barn roof anyways. I'm getting frustrated but I'm still trying to be a decent human being. Whatever, I say, come check the fence yourself, make sure it meets your standards. She agrees she'll come that evening. We wait around for them. No one shows, and no phone call. I get a call three days later, she wants to come by that afternoon. Sure, we say, and wait around some more. Again, no show and no call.

At this point, we've completely written them off. They had horses they were so relieved they'd be able to help with our "donation", and they couldn't be bothered to get off their butts and go see what was being offered. Now tell me, whose best interests were forefront in mind with those folks?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!