Chinese coronavirus - Page 48 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors »  Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

Do you want to be able to bump and highlight your classified ads? Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 05-15-2020, 04:24 PM   #471
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
It is going to be interesting to watch from the sidelines. I would like nothing better than to learn this is all contrived and "mountain out of a mole hill" BS, and we really have nothing extraordinary to worry about concerning this CCP Virus. But I am going to let others be the canaries going into the coal mine, thank you very much. There is nothing I need that can't be put off as long as I feel is necessary while in relative isolation.

I've never seen a better case of a reason for implementing a "Hope for the best, but plan for the worst" policy.
I think a lot of people are in this camp.

Old 05-16-2020, 07:08 PM   #472
WebSlave
Quote:
Australian Study: COVID-19 'Exquisitely Adapted' for Human Cells

Saturday, 16 May 2020 06:11 PM

A major new Australian study of COVID-19 has found that it seems specially adapted to infect human cells, casting some doubt on whether it emerged in bats or pangolins when it first erupted in China.

As a consequence, the scientists behind the study say, a “possibility which still cannot be excluded is that SARSCoV-2 was created by a recombination event that occurred inadvertently or consciously in a laboratory handling coronaviruses, with the new virus then accidentally released into the local human population"

The high-performance computer modeling was used by Australian scientists to study the virus's ability to target a variety of 12 exotic and domestic animals in the hope of identifying the original source of the virus.

The goal is to find a vaccine or drug treatment for the highly infectious COVID-19.

Led by scientists at Flinders University, looked at the the virus's ability to bind to human cells and found the SARS-CoV-2 virus targets humans more potently than any of the tested animal species.

"The results clearly show that the COVID-19 virus is exquisitely adapted to infect humans," says Flinders University Professor Nikolai Petrovsky, lead author of a new paper just published online in arXiv, a leading US preprint server for researchers.

"The virus's ability to bind protein on human cells was far greater than its ability to bind the same protein in bats, which argues against bats being a direct source of the human virus."

The study cast doubt on the idea that it emerged with pangolins, an ant-eater very popular with some Chinese cooks.

"While it has been suggested by some Chinese scientists that the COVID-19 virus might have been transmitted to humans from pangolins, currently available data does not support this idea," Professor Petrovsky says.

But how COVID-19 so quickly became lethal to humans remains a mystery.

The research points to a number of reasons why the virus became so well adapted to humans, such as convergent evolution after exposure to human cells, rare mutations that mix two species genes, and exposure to human cells very early in the pandemic.

The article, 'In silico comparison of spike protein-ACE2 binding affinities across species; significance for the possible origin of the SARS-CoV-2 virus' (2020) has been published on the arXiv pre-press server.

© 2020 Newsmax. All rights reserved.
Source: https://www.newsmax.com/scitech/covi.../16/id/967713/

Old 05-20-2020, 02:17 AM   #473
WebSlave
Well, maybe SOMEONE can come up with an effective treatment for this. Seems like enough people are working on a solution.

Quote:
California biopharmaceutical company claims coronavirus antibody breakthrough

By Perry Chiaramonte | Fox News
Published 4 days ago

EXCLUSIVE — A California-based biopharmaceutical company claims to have discovered an antibody that could shield the human body from the coronavirus and flush it out of a person’s system within four days, Fox News has exclusively learned.

Later Friday, Sorrento Therapeutics will announce their discovery of the STI-1499 antibody, which the San Diego company said can provide "100% inhibition" of COVID-19, adding that a treatment could be available months before a vaccine hits the market.

"We want to emphasize there is a cure. There is a solution that works 100 percent," Dr. Henry Ji, founder and CEO of Sorrento Therapeutics, told Fox News. "If we have the neutralizing antibody in your body, you don't need the social distancing. You can open up a society without fear."

The health care and pharmaceutical industries have been scrambling to develop viable vaccines and antibody treatments as the number of COVID-19-related deaths is expected to hit 100,000 by June 1.

Many medical researchers are scrambling to find antibodies, optimistic that they could provide a remedy or preventative care in less time than it would take to develop a vaccine. Antibody treatments have been used for the past 100 years as a means to stave off infections, but their effectiveness has had mixed results. Finding a successful antibody or convalescent plasma treatment for COVID-19 could present challenges.

"Doctors are taking blood plasma from patients who have recovered from COVID-19 and infusing it into those who are critically ill. The plasma is laden with antibodies, and the approach shows some promise," former Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Scott Gottlieb wrote in a recent Wall Street Journal op-ed. "The constraint: There isn’t enough plasma from recovered patients to go around."

Some medical experts believe that while antibody research shows promise, there are concerns for how long the effects may last in fighting the virus in an infected patient.

“Antibodies, in general, have been very effective at bringing virus [levels] down if you’ve had a high burden of infection,” Phyllis Kanki, a professor of immunology and infectious diseases at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, said in a recent interview. “There are limitations to how much you can give and for how long.”

Officials for Sorrento Therapeutics believe they have found the key to a successful treatment.

Through their studies, Sorrento screened and tested billions of antibodies they have collected over the past decade. They say this made it possible to identify hundreds of potential antibody candidates that could successfully bind themselves to the spike proteins of the coronavirus. They found that a dozen of these antibodies demonstrated the ability to block the spike proteins from attaching itself to the human enzyme ACE2, which is the receptor a virus normally uses to enter human cells.

Through further testing, the researchers at Sorrento found that there was one particular antibody that showed to be 100 percent effective in blocking COVID-19 from infecting health cells — STI-1499.

"When the antibody prevents a virus from entering a human cell, the virus cannot survive," Dr. Ji said. "If they cannot get into the cell, they cannot replicate. So it means that if we prevent the virus from getting the cell, the virus eventually dies out. The body clears out that virus."

"This puts its arms around the virus. It wraps around the virus and moves them out of the body."

Dr. Ji pointed out that the antibody can be used as preventative therapy since there are no side effects, and that it can be more effective than any vaccine that may be developed.

"This is the best solution," he said. "The point of making a vaccine is to generalize a neutralizing antibody. So, if you already have one, you don't need to the body to generate one from a vaccine. You've already provided it. You're cutting out the middleman."

It was recently announced Sorrento had partnered with New York-based health care system Mount Sinai to develop an antibody cocktail. Dubbed Covi-Shield, the cocktail will be comprised of three different antibodies and, pending FDA approval, will be used as a prophylactic treatment for people returning to work and those who have been exposed to COVID-19.

Sorrento officials said that STI-1499 will likely be the first antibody in the cocktail. They are also looking to develop the antibody as a stand-alone therapy due to its high potency, according to a statement provided to Fox News.

They said that they can provide up to 200,000 doses per month and are looking to produce tens of millions more to meet projected demands.

Dr. Mark Brunswick, senior vice president of Sorrento, said that developing antibody treatments may be more effective in quickly combating the coronavirus. While a vaccine treatment can take up to 18 months, effective anti-body treatment can become available in much less time and with a much higher success rate. He points out, however, that a quick approval from the Food and Drug Administration would be needed to make the antibody treatment available within months.

"As soon as it is infused, that patient is now immune to the disease," Dr. Brunswick said to Fox News. "For the length of time, the antibody is in that system. So, if we were approved [by the FDA] today, everyone who gets that antibody can go back to work and have no fear of catching COVID-19."
Source: https://www.foxnews.com/science/covi...y-breakthrough

Old 05-20-2020, 06:41 PM   #474
WebSlave
"I'll take Conflicting Reports on the Coronavirus for $1000, Alex."

CDC now says coronavirus 'does not spread easily' via contaminated surfaces

Windy Weather Sends Coronavirus Farther Than 6 Feet

Old 05-21-2020, 09:36 AM   #475
E.Shell
Two things in moderating this conflict:

1) Evaluate who benefits by either path; who benefits from staying shut down until "things improve" (some say 'indefinitely'), and who benefits by opening things back up "because of the reduction in new cases and recent medical advancements" (some say 'right now').

2) Follow the money.

Old 05-21-2020, 03:48 PM   #476
WebSlave
When the end of the world comes along, you can bet people will be standing at corners selling T-shirts and mugs.

Old 05-21-2020, 04:06 PM   #477
Lucille
I am not venturing out much, but even though my sweet postman drops junk mail into the recycle bin for me, after a month or so I had to go to the mailroom to collect the non junk mail. I was shocked, from the path to the mailroom one can see one of the pools, and it was full of adults and kids playing. What are they thinking?

Old 05-21-2020, 04:58 PM   #478
jennifox
Oh, this coronavirus situation is really scary.
We bought a puppy before the pandemic and walking it was a challenge for a while. Fortunately, we are now moving more calmly through the streets. However, I was also afraid that my Chuckie would be infected with the virus. However, I read many articles on this topic and realized that everything is ok.

Old 05-21-2020, 05:39 PM   #479
Lucille
Not clicking your link, why can't you just explain your point?

Old 05-21-2020, 05:42 PM   #480
jennifox
wow, cause it was too long for me to rewrite the information which is already written.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!