The pied mussurana, not a Drymarchon but wow! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-24-2006, 08:32 AM   #11
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Where's my Macallan?
I need to solve the shipping issue, you want it to arrive in one piece right? Like live arrival guaranteed ? I haven't forgotten though...

Old 07-24-2006, 10:52 AM   #12
epidemic
Okay guys-

This is the Drymarchon forum, not the Bioruna, Clelia, Pseudoboa, or whatever taxonomist are calling them this week, forum or even the opisthoglyphous forum, so I must object to the propaganda surrounding the species here on the Dry forum, especially since I don't have any! ;0) Of course, this should be remedied in the near future, thanks to DT, though I really need another pair of high maintenance snakes like another hole in my skull.
The photos are great and it’s good to see the Mu’s gaining a larger following stateside. I’m not a big color morph fan, just give me a good textbook specimen, but it’s always interesting to see a top tier predator in the color morph form, as such appear to be quite rare. Again, I prefer the “natural” phenotype and I believe such are rare enough in US collections to warrant awe, though I will admit to enjoy viewing photos of the piebald specimens.

Best of luck with those guys and keep the photos coming,

Jeff

Old 07-24-2006, 01:44 PM   #13
The BoidSmith
Jeff,

We are in agreement there. The "normal" black form is beautiful in it's own right. Regardless, I don't have a problem with those spontaneous mutations that appear in the wild. Albinos, leucistics, melanistic and even pied forms are natural occurrences of many species. A different story altogether is the "super-duper-high contrast-bumblebee" (hetero for something if we want to top it off)

Regards.

Old 07-24-2006, 03:26 PM   #14
epidemic
You're right, Dan,

They are all beautiful in their own right and I have encountered a few color morph specimens in the wild, limited to amelanistic Thamnophis and Heterodon.
I simply hope, since Mu's are far and few between here in the US, those working with them will not start pairing every normal specimen to a piebald specimen. I know most who currently have Mu's won't, but there are those who only see the $$$$ when it comes to such specimens. We have already seen the demise naturally pigmented CB P. m mugitus, CB Elaphe and now CB Python regius and I would hate to see such happen with the Mu's, especially before I have an opportunity to get my hands on some! ;0)
I agree, the “boutique” morph market appears to be getting a bit “out there” these days. On a good note, I have noticed an increase of interest, among youngsters with an affinity for such, in regards to the study of genetics and mathematics, so all isn’t bad!

Best regards,

Jeff

Old 07-25-2006, 06:20 PM   #15
bigjay
you know i agree Jeff, the originals are the best, but i do still like anything that came out of the wild, especially a white snake, those get me everytime. there definitly is the risk of morph-men ( defined as those who seek to make "hypo coral bumblebee yellow snow turquoise patternless pearl swirley back's" out of every species out there) seeing these and bringing in and breeding more of them than there are of normals, mu's are SUPER neat snakes and i too want a pair... or 4.. of them, lol. first things first though i still need a large collection of drys built up

Old 07-28-2006, 01:39 PM   #16
Douglas Taylor
The pied mussuranas are offspring of wild types, but I doubt that a "super" pied, the almost entirely white type, wouldn't have much chance to live.

A more important thing is continuing to bring in new lines so that we have a good genetic foundation to work with. That's really the focus at this point in the game for all of us.

An interesting point about the pie'ds is that they have been available for several years, yet this is the first year that folks here in the USA have got any. I think that the typical mussurana keeper is going to want to work with Blacks first and then maybe add a piebald to the mix once they've had some success with Blacks. Not a bad plan.

Anyway, hopefully we can all get all the dry's and all the mu's and all the stuff we want, just like Jeff

Doug T
:eatpointe

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!