FlexWatt & Thermostats - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:53 PM   #11
liquidleaf
I should say - the cheapest ($25) is made by Pro Exotics. You can buy a more expensive Raytek one for between $65 and $85 at auto parts stores (people use them to check engine temperatures). The $25 one does not have a laser target like the more expensive ones do, and you have to put it within an inch or so of the spot you want to check. I like it though.

Old 10-31-2006, 04:14 PM   #12
Griz
Interesting Lauren. I paid $25 for mine from eBay and it has the laser on it. I have tested temps at 1 inch and at closer to 18 inches without any real variation. I believe my is a PE-2.

Griz

Old 11-01-2006, 12:20 PM   #13
Chris Steele
Way to make Lauren feel bad Griz! Haha, im just kidding. I didn't understand what you are saying there, you can measure temp at 18"?

Also, wouldn't the air in the cage be a different temp from the walls or floor? Isn't the air temp just as important as the floor??

To help me understand, what temp should the air be in a cornsnake cage (not the hotspot)? the floor? snake body temp?

Old 11-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #14
MGReptiles
Thanks Bob!! Chris if you have the basic wiring skills and I am sure you do you can put together a ranco or johnsons with ease. This will also let you pik and choose which components you want, like a fancy surge protector or 500' power cord..lol Shoot me an email if ys need any help,
-Matt

Old 11-08-2006, 12:28 PM   #15
Chris Steele
About those infrared guns: how, since some of you guys don't use thermometers because of these guns, do you measure humidity?

Old 11-08-2006, 12:31 PM   #16
MGReptiles
You can get a humidity gauge seperate or you can use one with a thmrometer just as a backup.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:58 PM   #17
Chris Steele
Are there any brands that you prefer, brands you feel better putting your trust in?

Old 11-08-2006, 07:24 PM   #18
MGReptiles
I like the flukers digital, they seem to be pretty accurate and have a good size display..
http://www.mgreptiles.com/FLUKERTHERMO.html

Old 11-08-2006, 08:13 PM   #19
floridaboy85
I like the Acurite Brand mentioned earlier. They offer a unit that gives you two air temps and the humidity all at the same time in the same unit for around $12. Best thing it is is local and you don't have to pay for or wait for shipping. (They are pretty tough too, I've had them fall(get drug into) water bowls and they still work great.) And that is not in the place of a thermostat that is supplemental to a thermostat.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:29 AM   #20
liquidleaf
Aww, Griz! I'm jealous. But mine's a PE-1, bought new at a reptile show, so full retail price. I'm sure eBay does have better deals (that's usually the way I buy things) - but had to get SOMETHING at that show since I had a couple of new "friends" to monitor on the way home. No fancy lazzzzers for me yet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!