Any chevy guys here? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:58 AM   #31
AK907
Meh, at least it's not a Dodge... I hate Dodge with a passion. With the exception of your classic muscle cars, all are crap IMHO.

I'm a Chevy fan. All I own is Chevy, although I had an '87 Toyota 4Runner when I was a teenager. Most gutless vehicle this side of a hybrid, but I NEVER got that sucker stuck. EVER! I miss it. 496,000 miles when I sold it and still running strong. I doubt many Ford's will last that long. I doubt ANY will last that long. Once my Cobalt is paid off I'd like to get a Subaru WRX STi. Even stock they are mean little buggers! When I do get it I will gladly race your Ford.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:46 AM   #32
boanation
Lets bring this back. ow times have changed. We thought 700 and 800hp cars were fast. I have since opened up a dyno shop. No more military for me.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:19 AM   #33
WebSlave
Oh hell, that blue vette has been nothing but headaches. Would you believe it is back in a shop again? Not the two that originally worked on it and royally screwed things up. And then went to a third shop (a Chevy dealership) and they put in a pilot bushing and a clutch not up to par, that is being replaced right now. But getting a pilot bearing put in this time. And a triple disk clutch. Had to go that route to get one that would be streetable and still hold the power.

Been there over 4 months now.

But backing up a bit, when I finally was able to drive my car home after the two shops butchered it, I put it up on my lift and wound up spending the next year or so fixing all the crap that got butchered. Then after that, I had a guy come down from Atlanta to see if he could get a tune done on it. Everything was pretty much custom by then, and the second shop claimed that the car was untunable. Well, maybe they couldn't tune it, but the guy from Atlanta didn't seem to have any problems. But he basically just did a preliminary tune, and pretty much just to reassure me that the car COULD be tuned. After that, I spent about another year figuring out the tuning and getting it to actually behave on the street and run like it should when I wanted it to GO.

During all that, the tech at the Chevy dealership discovered that the Pfadt carbon driveshaft was incorrect, and they sent one that was 7mm too long. Screwed up a LOT of stuff. Well, coupled with the fact that the second shop left a couple of bolts off of the bell housing attaching it to the block. That certainly helped things quite a bit.

I think (hope) that this last stint in a shop will get things straightened out. I guess I should have done the work myself, since I have a full sized lift in my garage, but honestly, removing the drivetrain on a Corvette with a torque tube setup is not something I really felt like tackling. Plus I really didn't know what was making that drivetrain noise that was getting worse and worse all along. I sure as heck didn't want to pull it apart, not see anything obvious, and then have to go into "shotgun fixing" mode by just replacing one thing after another until the noise went away. That would have been a REAL pain in the butt. So I decided to pay someone who really knows what they are doing, instead. Besides, although Connie would have helped me in the garage, I am really getting too old to be messing with those heavy components on top of a transmission lift anyway. Too easy to break one of my creaky old bones that would maybe disable me permanently.

Anyway, the 235 page thread about that entire mess is here if anyone has a lot of free time on their hands -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forum...ad.php?t=44697

And that is for the second custom engine. The first one (Warhawk) finally got rejected when I found a crack in a valve stem area on one of the heads, and after all the other crap, decided that the engine was a piece of crap. I will NEVER buy anything that World Products ever has, or ever will manufacture. The 427 engine built on an RHS block just looked so much better in the quality department.

Pretty much this is a very good display of a situation that could likely convince some people to NOT heavily mod their car. This is probably worst case, but it CAN happen to you too. Unbelievably, this has been going on for about 10 years now since I rolled it into the first shop to start the work on it.

It has been a shadow over my entire retirement. What I wouldn't give for a time machine so I could go back then and kick myself in the ass for ever having that idea.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:19 AM   #34
michiganexotics
WebSlave whats you opinion on the new Corvette mid engine

Old 09-13-2019, 11:47 AM   #35
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganexotics View Post
WebSlave whats you opinion on the new Corvette mid engine
Actually, I like the looks a lot. But since I tend to like wrenching on my own vehicles, when the situation warrants it, my concern is how the heck to you access that engine to work on it? Even with someone else working on it doing warranty work, it looks to me that they would have to be climbing all over the sides of the car to access anything on the engine not accessible from the underside. I don't have all that much faith in dealerships to not assume I wouldn't come away from the experience with scratches all over the sides of the vehicle as a result.

And based on Chevy's history of screw-ups with new model releases, I sure as heck don't want to be the first on my block to get such a radical design change as this C8 model. Heck, they are STILL having problems with the automatic transmissions in the C7s.

The first year in a model change is really always a beta test release that purchasers that just have to have the latest and greatest before anyone else are going to have to deal with.

IMHO, of course.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:14 PM   #36
WebSlave
Back in 2018 I took some video of the C5Z using a drone. The car is sitting on the apron of my garage and I was playing around with one of the programmable features of the drone to orbit a "target of interest".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEZuedYounY

Old 09-13-2019, 12:20 PM   #37
WebSlave
Here is another video I took back in 2013 when I was doing some tuning on the car. I found a really lonely and isolated road in the national forest and while recording data from my laptop, put the car in fourth gear and eased into it until I could run it up into boost so I could collect data from the run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUhun5zl1e8

I only ran it up to something like 6400 rpm. The trees were whizzing by me pretty quickly by then!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!