Spanish Ribbed Newt refusing food? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 06-17-2018, 12:02 PM   #1
dyslexictadpole
Spanish Ribbed Newt refusing food?

I've had my leucistic spanish ribbed newt for around 6 months with no issues, however, he has begun refusing his food of pellets over the last few weeks. He used to eat with gusto, and come directly to the spot where I fed him every time he heard food hit the water. Now he seems more interested in hanging out behind the sponge filter. Any suggestions on how to get his appetite back?

Old 06-17-2018, 01:06 PM   #2
James L
I've haven't kept these in some years but my suggestion would be first, try another type of food like half inch crickets. Freshly killed. Should be able to locate by smell and hopefully the smell of a fresh dead bug will get his attention. If that doesn't work maybe move his tank to the coolest place in your home. Newts are very temperature sensitive.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:33 AM   #3
GHC Exotics
Was this ever resolved? If not... try doing a deep clean on the enclosure or tub... and adding a few indian almond leafs in it. Every now and then that helps alot... especially if you drop the temps in the water a good bit... gets them feeling frisky again!

Old 09-27-2018, 03:50 PM   #4
elena
Does he have appropriate hides? If he's always behind the the filter, he may not feel secure enough to feed.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:54 AM   #5
TheGoatFairy
Try various food sources aside from pellets. Bloodworms, blackworms, cut-up nightcrawlers, brine shrimp, etc.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
elena
The ribbed newts I've worked with were mostly fed bloodworms or tubifex.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!