Hot origination to Cold destination - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:50 PM   #1
coyote
Hot origination to Cold destination

Is this a dilemma?

When shipping from a place with warm to hot weather to a destination with cold weather do you include a heat pack.

On more than one occasion I have been shipped animals IN WINTER, or when my weather was very cold, with no heat pack. In every instance the animals originated from a place where the temperature was very warm or hot.

I even specified that heat packs had to be used and provided my temperatures as the reason why.

Invariably the reason given for not including heat packs is because it was hot where the animals came from.

How can this situation be handled properly?

Old 11-09-2005, 10:28 PM   #2
hhmoore
When it is hot at the point of origin, there is some (legitimate) concern with heat packs. The reason being that many of the larger business begin packing shipments fairly early in the day, so they can all be ready to go for the afternoon pickup. The heat packs take a few hours to get to max temps and really heat up the box, but if temps are in the 80's and the box is sitting there sealed all afternoon.... One of the dealers that I buy from regularly sets up the boxes as the day goes on, but leaves the ones bound for cold destinations open til later in the day. then, shortly before the pickup, he will activate the heat packs and seal the boxes. I haven't received a package in cold weather without heatpacks in years.
(I still struggle with the cold origin to hot destination shipments though...they just make me nervous)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!