Bad Guy Off The Ark Exotics - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
shedyourfears
Off The Ark Exotics

I recently purchased a female emerald tree boa from Off The Ark Exotics (Virginia).

I emailed back and forth with Vinny Ferraiolo about the snake for about a week and talked to him on the phone multiple times.

She is supposed to be CBB 06, but appears quite small considering my 06 male is about 3 times her size.

She was also supposed to be hand tame... she is not as aggressive as most emeralds, but she certainly isn't hand time either.

The most disturbing part is that she arrived at my door with some pretty nasty scale rot on her ventral scales, mites, and what appears to be a respiratory infection (mouth gaping).

Never once were any of these symptoms mentioned via email or phone conversation. Their website says they have a 100% health guarantee, but apparently, none of these things were covered.

They refused to do anything about the problems.

-Jessica McDuff

Old 08-21-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
Utta
Post emails, pictures etc and make them aware of this thread.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
Cp3_Pythons
Ive delt with Vinny on several occasions and the transactions always went smoothly Im actually shocked about this thread but Yes as Tyler stated post the emails and pics of the Emerald tree boa in question as well as letting Vinny know about this thread..

Old 08-21-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
vferra7777
Male or Female

Hello Jessica. You also said your expert friend probed her to 5 scales and you were very upset because your expert friend told you 5 scales is a MALE. You called me very upset over me sending you a MALE instead of a female. IS THIS TRUE???? I asked you to recheck that because I figured your expert friend just made a mistake. If your expert friend got that wrong what other "expert" advice has he been giving you.

You told me the scale problem shed out and the mites were gone and she was eating fine on a two week cycle. This is the first time I have heard of the RI problem. How are you keeping her? What size tank, temps, water etc.

Please tell the entire story. What else has this expert friend of yours been telling you? Sounds like she's cool and dry to me. I would double check temps, give her a bedding that holds moisture and get those temps to where they should be based on a thermometer that is affixed to the area UNDER your heat source. Do not use white light as a heat source.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
shedyourfears
I was surprised as well considering he was so friendly and helpful over the phone.

Here is the email correspondance after recieving the animal.

The animal is healthy. The only problems on her external area. Those are very easily treated. That spray makes life easier and the scale rot just sheds out next time. Keep her dry with a large water bowl. Spray the area - the animal and the water bowl. Wait 1/2 hour put both back in and the mite problem is stopped.

I sprayed today. I wish it was not so common but when dealing with hundreds of animals a week, it is bound tyo happen. We check and spray etc but it still happens.

The Ferraiolos
Off The Ark 804.717.2282
www.offthearkexoticpets.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: ferraiolo6@yahoo.com
Sent: Mon, July 5, 2010 8:54:43 PM
Subject: RE: ETB issue

I have tried to feed her, she refused.

I understand that these things happen in the trade, but when paying $400 for an animal, that animal should be healthy before it is shipped.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 08:35:02 -0700
Subject: Re: ETB issue
To: shed_your_fears@hotmail.com

I really am sorry, but this stuff does happen in the trade. We trade and buy all sorts of animals and treat everything but it still does happen. After next shed, she will be fine. Have you tried to feed her?

The Ferraiolos
Off The Ark 804.717.2282

Sent: Mon, July 5, 2010 10:21:00 AM
Subject: RE: ETB issue

Despite quarantining her, I will still be treating all of my other animals.
But I will not be doing business with your company again.
And I will make sure that others know what kind of experience I have had.

-Jessica

Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 19:41:41 -0700
Subject: Re: ETB issue
To: shed_your_fears@hotmail.com

I am sorry. I did not know she had mites. It does happen in the business that is why quarantine is a must. Scale rot was from her cage under the chameleon tank. Her perch was wet. If you get some equate lice SPRAY and spray her cage - her and the water bowl the mnites will be gone.

I really am sorry and did not know about the mites. I have treated my animals in that location.

The Ferraiolos
Off The Ark 804.717.2282

Sent: Sun, July 4, 2010 9:15:21 PM
Subject: ETB issue

I was observing the female ETB I just got from you...

I was slightly agitated by the fact that she has scale rot and I was not informed of this before purchasing her,
but now I am EXTREMELY unhappy to discover that she also has mites.

If I had known either of these facts, I would not have spent $400 on her.

I figured I should contact you right away.... I hope that you will try to rectify this situation in some way.

Thank you,
Jessica

Old 08-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
shedyourfears
I have her in a 2ft X 16" x 16" Vision cage with an undertank heater fixed to the bottom and one on the back of the enclosure. Her temperature is 84 degrees, with 2 fixed perches. one diagnal and one horizontal. I have a large water source, coco soft bedding and a small plant. I mist her 3 times per day. I use a plain white light during the day to simulate day & night cycles.

I double checked with an emerald breeder and she is a female, I apologize for that. I never said the man was an expert, I just said that I thought he would know, but he admitted that he was wrong.

I never said the scale rot problem had shed out. She has not shed since I got her. She has eaten twice and defecated.

I use a temp gun to check temps as well as a digital thermometer with a probe.

I've never asked husbandry advice from my "expert" friend, as I do my own research in that area.... I just don't feel comfortable probing animals yet, especially delicate arboreal species.

I have had my male ETB for 2 years and never had a problem. I keep him in a very similar set up, the only difference being that his Vision cage is larger because he is about 3 times her size.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
shedyourfears
Here are some pics of her scale rot.

It's starting to look slightly better.... but it runs nearly the entire length of her body.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
shedyourfears
Here are pictures of her "mouth gape."

She has not been making any noises or producing any discharge... just this behavior.

(She is in a bizarre position because I had to disturb her to take pictures of her scale rot)
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2010, 08:44 PM   #9
vferra7777
Thanx for being honest

So many times people come here and tell just part of the story. That is why I HATE THIS SITE. A friend told me about your post.

This expert was supposed to be the owner or the manager of the pet store you work at?

i would not use white light as a heat source. I prefer to keep the heat source red or purple and use the ambient light in the room for the visible spectrum.

No discharge/noise etc?

That face looks a tooth maybe dislodged or damaged in some way or just a normal figuration she uses.

You said you use the white light during the day, what do you use at night to heat her?

Are the mites gone? Did you treat the animal and cage twice?

I see the pics, looks like a mild case that should shed out first shed. She hasn't shed for you yet?

Be patient. If she is eating and reasonable to handle you are ahead of the curve.

I would definitely get rid of the white light, find the proper wattage red or purple light and double check everything after that.

I DO NOT LIKE NOR RECOMMEND WHITE LIGHT AS A HEAT SOURCE FOR THESE ANIMALS.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:08 PM   #10
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by vferra7777 View Post
So many times people come here and tell just part of the story. That is why I HATE THIS SITE.
And you are here to complete your part of the story. More and more, those participating in a thread here are careful to ask if the 'bad guy' was notified of the complaint, are careful to ask for proof or emails, and if your read a lot of threads you will see that some complaints (I am not at all speaking of this one) are dismissed as retributive, charges by a bad buyer, ec.

The very nature of the BOI encourages a complete account from both sides.

The very nature of the BOI allows prospective purchasers to count up the good/bad threads posted about a particular vendor and make up their own minds.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!