BRB refuses dinner?!?! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-15-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
geckogrl6
BRB refuses dinner?!?!

Title says it all- refused one of 2 hoppers tonight. I think he may be shedding very soon, could this be the cause? I thought boas generally don't refuse meals for just about any reason. I'm not freaking out about it yet, I did just move him up to hoppers at his last meal 8 days ago, when he took 2 no ifs, ands, or buts. These hoppers are a little bigger than the previous two, but he is clearly not interested, didn't seem to be "sizing it up", and I'd still expect him to kill it first, and then figure out it was too big to go down. Though I doubt it is, I think he's refusing to eat today, either he's not hungry, or shedding. He was running a little dry last night, so I gave his bedding a moisture boost this morning, and I'd expect a shed overnight. But I'd think he'd be hungry after a week?

And for those who've been following my BP posts- she is doing well, taking adult mice on a set weekly schedule- took 2 last night!

Old 12-16-2007, 04:06 AM   #2
hhmoore
Many snakes, various boas included, will not feed during a shed...it is an individual thing for those that do or don't. You say you think he may be shedding soon, then that you are expecting a shed overnight - have you witnessed color change/opacity? BRB's, in my experience, are pretty easy to tell when they are nearing a shed. If he is that close to a shed, hungry or not, that is likely the reason he isn't eating.
(it never hurts to double check the basics, though - make sure the temps and humidity are correct)

Old 12-16-2007, 05:47 AM   #3
crotalusadamanteus
You said he "refused one of two hoppers". Am I reading more into this, or did he actually eat one? If he ate one, no problem. He did eat, just not his normal two items.

If he did refuse both, than it's probably like Harald said. But, being fed weekly, missing one meal is not really a cause for concern IMO. None of my snakes get fed that frequently, except for neonates their first 6 months, and they're all doing fine.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:03 PM   #4
geckogrl6
I think you are reading that wrong- he ate none, not one of two, I just bought 2 since he was on 2 fuzz/week and now is suppossed be eating 2 hoppers/week. I have found it hard to tell when the BRB is in shed. It has been awhile since his last one, but he was noticably bigger after his last meal, so I figured he was due for one. Also, another herper took a look at him about a week ago, and said then that he looked like he would shed soon. I didn't see it, but I never do with the BRB. He is otherwise healthy, active, etc, and temps and all are good. He was a little dry, in that the humidity in the enclosure had dropped to about 60 for a day or two, but its now back up to the 70s range. Did not shed last night as I was expecting, but I will wait some more. Oh, and he is under 6 months old- not sure by how much, but I got him in Sept as a neonate. Does 2 hoppers a week sound about right for that?

Old 12-16-2007, 12:50 PM   #5
Dennis Hultman
My experiences only.

BRB’s are a little different than other boas in the fact that will readily feed right through shed without hesitation. None of mine refuse during shed.
The humidity being down so low would contribute to not feeding. I know most care sheets say 70%. 70% should be considered a minimum. Especially neonates-yearlings. My yearlings and under are kept a lot higher.
60% is unacceptable.

The humidity being low, moving him to a new home and being in shed combined is more than likely your cause. Missing one week of feeding isn't going to kill him but letting the humidity drop to low will.

As we discussed in the other couple of threads about keeping them in aquariums this is the biggest problem.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=106314
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=106436

Old 12-16-2007, 01:40 PM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
Nah, it sounds OK. I was just saying, I think weekly feedings is a bit often for Boas (and other species) once they get to a certain age. OK to start them out like that, giving a better start on life. But after a while, I believe weekly feeding to do more harm than good for a number of reasons. Main one being longevity.

Yer guy's still young, soo....

Old 12-16-2007, 02:55 PM   #7
geckogrl6
Thanks guys- I always get great advice here. Almost makes me wish I big enough to keep those BIG guys like the rest of the boaphiles lol. In any case, my experience is also that my BRB will eat regardless of shed, as I seem to remeber him feeding w/o issue right before his last shed (same night). I'm leaning toward the day or two at 60% humidity is what initially caused him to refuse a meal last night, perhaps coupled with the slightly larger meal last week. I will offer the remaining hopper tonight, now that his humidity is back to where it should be. I had been keeping him in the 70s, with fluctuations between 60 -80s, but based on Dennis' advice, I will aim for a median closer to 75-80. The dip to the 60s was entirely my fault, I add water to the bedding every time it drops to 60%, but skipped an extra day the last time. I will be more careful, and start bumping up the humidity when it drops to 70 from now on, not 60. I understand that fish tanks are not optimal enclosures for these guys, and will get more suitable housing when he outgrows his current 20long. For now tho, aside from my recent slip up, my saran wrap is doing a great job keeping the humidity in.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:38 PM   #8
reddog4063
My experience of eating while shedding: I heated up a mouse and took it to the cage, then moved her log to find her eyes clouded. I figured I would offer up the mouse treat since it was already prepped, she took it no problem. One week won't kill your BRB, wait till after shed and try again maybe?

Old 12-21-2007, 09:02 PM   #9
Sunshines2day!
I keep lots of BRB's

Mine generally will eat while in shed. If your baby rainbow isn't eating something is not right with the husbandry. They are different from other boas and need higher humidity than what you have. Try to get it up to 90% about 90% of the time. The easiest way I know of is to limit ventilation and provide sphagnum moss and/or cypress mulch along with a water big enough to soak in. Don't go above 82 ever. I start brand new babies on hoppers and they do well with them. I suggest to check your temps and humidity and adjust as needs be and wait 4 to 5 days and try 1 hopper. Plastic containers placed inside a larger encloser work very well. Hope something helps. Enjoy your Brazilian Rainbow.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:54 PM   #10
geckogrl6
Well he was grayed out 2 days ago, definately in shed. Refuses the mouse again last night, tho he's cleared now. I have closed off more of the top to try to keep humidity in even more, it's looking like I will need a different tank sooner rather than later. Now that my heat is going, it's not as easy to keep humidity in as it was during warmer weather. I will go back and double check temps again tonight, though they were good when I set up the tank only a couple weeks ago. I also added a second water dish, really a plastic container with a small hole in the top for him to climb in and out. Still waiting on the shed to happen.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!