Het for Albino Regurge: - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-30-2006, 04:55 PM   #1
Art Klass
Het for Albino Regurge:

I have two hypo het for albino boas. I have heard that the albino gene can cause younger snakes to be prone to regurgitation. The first hypo I bought did in fact regurge several meals when young and then stopped without any other problem. I have recently purchased another young hypo which seems to not be able to fully digest the mouses fur and regurges it. I am not very concerned about its' regurge as it seems to be digesting everything but the fur.

Have any of you ever heard of such a thing or experienced this yourself?

Old 01-30-2006, 07:21 PM   #2
Casey Hulse
How old is the boa? Has it always regurged?

I always feed small (pink rats) to boas for the for 8-10 meals, it helps them build a good load of bacteria in there belly to aid digestion. If your boa is regurging it is a good idea to hold back feeding for about 10 days, then offer a few small meals. I have not considered regurging hair as normal behavior. Good luck.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:40 PM   #3
Junkyard
I have not heard of this in hypos, mine have not done this. If I have any regurging snakes I treat them with NutriBac, works great. If hair seems to be a constant problem than you may want to look into breeding hairless rats for food.

Old 01-31-2006, 02:31 AM   #4
hhmoore
I hadn't heard that the albino gene was a cause for (or led to) regurgitation. I have several albinos, and hypos het for albino, and none has ever regurged while in my care. I also started all of them on rat pinks, then progressed to mice when size appropriate. As has already been mentioned, you should really give them a break if they have been regurgitating...even if you think it is only fur (which, by the way, is not "normal" for boas as it is for whitelips). Give them about 2 weeks, make sure the temperatures are correct, then try a smaller than normal prey item. If regurgitation occurs, try the nutribac.

Old 01-31-2006, 06:12 AM   #5
Art Klass
Thanks for the helpful information. I re-read my original post and it does sound as if I think the regurge is normal or no big deal. Just wanted to let you know that is not the case. I was curious as to whether the albino gene was a possible link. Somebody once told me that it was and it didn't sound right to me. Thanks for your posts. Art

Old 01-31-2006, 09:13 AM   #6
hhmoore
While it is not strictly related to this thread, I want to clarify my comment about the whitelips - they are known to cough up hairballs (to coin the popular phrase), known as casts. Any other regurgitation should be considered abnormal.

Old 01-31-2006, 09:23 PM   #7
Whitewater Reptiles
Art,
I believe the regurge thing to be related to these three things other than a health related issue.
A) Too cool temps
B) Too big of a food item
C) Feeding too often
Hope this helps, Mike Derks

Old 01-31-2006, 11:28 PM   #8
Art Klass
Thanks Mike. I appreciate the post.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!