Specialty Insurance for their Collections?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
MorphCapital
Specialty Insurance for their Collections??

Has anyone heard of some type of specialty insurance that will cover reptile collections? (theft, fire, etc..)

Thanks

Old 06-19-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
shrap
No one that I know of. And since I keep my collection in my home, my insurance company dropped me when I inquired about it. Well, they gave me a choice. Lose the snakes or lose your home owners insurance.

I was stunned and pissed. Needless to say I told the guy he could kiss my backside and I took my business elsewhere.

With that said, I did not tell my new insurance company about my reptiles. When they came to check out my house the agent just poked his nose in the herp room and never said or asked a thing about it and moved right on to the next room.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
MorphCapital
Thanks for the info.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:49 PM   #4
bullfrog100000
[quote=shrap]No one that I know of. And since I keep my collection in my home, my insurance company dropped me when I inquired about it. Well, they gave me a choice. Lose the snakes or lose your home owners insurance.
QUOTE]

Wow... is that sort of the theory that the snakes might bite someone sort of along the lines of not insuring people with "pit bull" dogs?

Here's a question though... would your homeowners cover your animals... which is likely Thousands of dollars... and the equipment if you didn't disclose it to them?

I think that sucks your insurance co. told you that... which company btw?

Old 06-19-2007, 08:12 PM   #5
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrog100000
Wow... is that sort of the theory that the snakes might bite someone sort of along the lines of not insuring people with "pit bull" dogs?
That is exactly their line of thinking on the matter.

Quote:
Here's a question though... would your homeowners cover your animals... which is likely Thousands of dollars... and the equipment if you didn't disclose it to them?
Either way my snakes and equipment are not covered. Disclose it and they refuse to insure me at all, dont disclose it and they are not insured. What can you do?

The reason I originally brought it up to my insurance company was when my house was broke into a couple years ago. They covered all the electronics and other household items that were taken, but when I asked about my snakes that were stolen (2 pieds, 2 albinos and 2 het albinos) is when I was informed that they would not be able to continue my insurance policy at all if I continued to maintain "dangerous animals" in my residence.

Quote:
I think that sucks your insurance co. told you that... which company btw?
American Family.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:37 AM   #6
bullfrog100000
There was letter to the editor about this very thing in Aug 07 Reptiles magazine. Someone... Joe somebody... had to get his snakes insured by Lloyds of London I think. I'll try to find the exact page etc.

Great... I have Am. Fam... but no expensive snake collection yet.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:57 AM   #7
Kaiyudsai
I had to purchase a 500000 dollar rider on my homeowner's unsurance for liability to comply with local regulations because I have some retics... but it's only liability

Old 01-19-2009, 08:25 AM   #8
snakewrangler
Sorry to post on an ancient thread, but something happened to me very recently that I'd like to share regarding insurance.

Like Sammy, I was dropped by my insurance company for owning snakes. I rented a property for several years, and when it flooded during a storm, I counted on my renters' insurance to replace my personal belongings. The company paid for a bed, a desk, bookshelves, and some other things such as sheets and towels. However, it did come up during this process that I had multiple snakes on the premises, and I was told that I would be able to finish out the billing cycle. After that, I was not eligible for renters' insurance any longer.

When I purchased my home, I insured it through another company without a problem. I called the old company to update my billing information (I still had auto insurance through them) and they inquired on whether or not I would like to purchase homeowner's insurance for my new house. I told the guy on the phone to take a close look on the account and reminded him of what had happened earlier that year. He did say that there was a note on the account stating that I was ineligible, so he did the next best thing:

He offered me a life insurance policy...for when I was killed by my python.

This guy was not joking. He was serious. He told me that if I kept boas and pythons, it was inevitable.

I have since dropped the auto insurance too.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #9
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrog100000 View Post

It can actually be easier to defend a pit bull bite over a snake bite: a pit bull is a 'domestic animal' and a snake is a 'wild animal'.
Harm caused by wild animals are strict liability cases.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #10
AbsoluteApril
I used to work in the insurance industry and Lloyds does offer speciaily insurance for animal collections. Here's an old post I made on another forum with some info: please note the pricing I listed is just an example and the post was made a few years ago so I'm sure it's gone up.

For example… to insure a collection of ball pythons in the amount of $300,000 for Mortality and Theft coverage, with an annual aggregate deductible of $10,000, the yearly premium would be approximately $11,500. Of course lower deductibles increase the annual premium cost and higher deductibles lower it. A 1% deductible (in this example, that would be a $30,000 deductible) the yearly premium drops to approximately $5,000.

Again, please note, the example above is just that… an example. Lloyds evaluates each collection on a case by case basis. The application for the insurance is very thorough, asking for the type, age/hatch date, breeder, markings, etc. It also asks for detailed information about their security, caging and health. All of those factors as well as some additional considerations are what determine the actual price. I just thought it would be nice to provide an example of a quote. Obviously this is something made for people with large collections and in general is not cost effective for someone with only a few snakes.
-April

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!