Homemade Boa Display help please - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
Melinda
Homemade Boa Display help please

I'm building a large wooden display enclosure for my Dum's and Boa. I'm using plywood for most of it. I've got almost all the particulars worked out besides what to paint it with for easy cleanup. I think I will line the bottom with vinyl sheet flooring to help with the cleanup and containment of spilled water.

What is best to use? Polyurethane, epoxy, Boat Paint etc.... I'd really like water cleanup and quick drying. I prefer rolling or brushing but may consider spraying if need be.

Any ideas???

Old 08-27-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
Matt2979
Since I don't know what chemicals may linger and cause harm to my animals, I stay away from painting. I prefer to use melamine covered material to build my big enclosures. If you're definitely going to use plywood, I would recommend laminating with counter top material (very much like the melamine). This does tend to be a little lighter AND better withstands any water that might seep through gaps.

I don't know if this is feasible for you and your plans, but I hope it helps!

Old 08-27-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
jeffwyatt81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2979 View Post
Since I don't know what chemicals may linger and cause harm to my animals, I stay away from painting. I prefer to use melamine covered material to build my big enclosures. If you're definitely going to use plywood, I would recommend laminating with counter top material (very much like the melamine). This does tend to be a little lighter AND better withstands any water that might seep through gaps.

I don't know if this is feasible for you and your plans, but I hope it helps!
I agree 100%, melamine though it may be heavier than ply is a very good material to use. I build all my own enclosures and racks from melamine and I house a tegu in one and have for 6+ months and humidity stays between 60-90%, on the higher side most of the time and I have yet to have any problems or swelling at all. I used wood glue when I assembled it and a clear non-toxic latex caulk to seal the inside and clean up is a breeze!

Old 08-28-2010, 06:20 AM   #4
zn394
You could use self leveling bartop epoxy. It's fairly easy to work with and seams can be sealed with clear 100% silicone.

I built a 125 gallon aquarium with BC plywood as the substrate and it worked perfectly. Just make sure you allow the proper cure time on both the epoxy and the silicone. Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!