Bad Guy Brandon Griffey - Page 25 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #241
Kevin S
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelliebear View Post
Metabolism does not speed up to fight infections as far as I know...
But even if it did, it still supports things that aren't in Brandon's favor, like the snake having eaten according to Xavier but having an empty belly upon examination. o-O
Shelli, 2 things you missed...
first Brandon did state that when the snake arrived it had deficated in the snakes bag.
the second in the pic of the potion dead, there is fecal matter in the cage the snake had released everything once it died.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #242
Bill T
Quote:
Metabolism does not speed up to fight infections as far as I know...
But even if it did, it still supports things that aren't in Brandon's favor, like the snake having eaten according to Xavier but having an empty belly upon examination. o-O
I will report your findings to all the medical journals and infection control Drs that we have been wrong for the past 100 years that when you acquire an infection your body does not go into over drive to produce antibodies and white blood cells to fight the infection.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #243
Bill T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill T View Post
I will report your findings to all the medical journals and infection control Drs that we have been wrong for the past 100 years that when you acquire an infection your body does not go into over drive to produce antibodies and white blood cells to fight the infection.
That was rude of me I apologize this is a good article it makes it easy to understand.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/54...-you-are-sick/

Old 05-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #244
DesertRat73
So, metabolism increases but there is no food to metabolize, further compounding the effects of being over stressed. And when the body has no food to metabolize in this situation, it turns to reserves(if there are any) and then to more critical systems, leading them to failure. Like say renal system failure? Liver and kidneys are always the first to go when the body turns on itself. With the immature systems in the juvenile's body that would compound it even further yes?

Old 05-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #245
Bill T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat73 View Post
So, metabolism increases but there is no food to metabolize, further compounding the effects of being over stressed. And when the body has no food to metabolize in this situation, it turns to reserves(if there are any) and then to more critical systems, leading them to failure. Like say renal system failure? Liver and kidneys are always the first to go when the body turns on itself. With the immature systems in the juvenile's body that would compound it even further yes?
Yes. I would be more concerned with dehydration first that would make it happen the fastest.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #246
DaveyFig
I keep thinking about the attempted feedings and wondering how they were done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakemanbonk View Post
Yes I did attempt to feed it. It didn't eat nothing that was offered (RATS, AFS RATS, MICE) IT DID NOTHING!! but stayed balled up in the back of the tub. The snake crap and died 8 days s
Were the food items frozen/thawed or live?

How long were they left with the snake?

If you attempted feeding (though I would imagine it was not you that did it, but Tom), were they all offered on the same day?

Were the females in with them at the time?

How were the uneaten rodents disposed of?

If you tried one feeder each day without females present, and introduced females on different days, then you added 5 different additional stressors on 5 different days to an animal that was already stressed. If you gave a three day acclimatization period (which still isn't enough) before adding any feeders or breeders to the enclosure, then that accounts for all 8 days in your (or not your) care. If you tried multiple feeders on the same day, you only compounded that day's stress. I would imagine that any failed attempt to feed resulted in thoughts of "he must be in breeding mode" and adding a female!

Also, since I am posting...staying balled up in the back while you continually made adjustments to his living arrangements wasn't a clue that you were scaring the crap out of him?

Old 05-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #247
ShadowAceD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyFig View Post
I keep thinking about the attempted feedings and wondering how they were done.

Were the food items frozen/thawed or live?

How long were they left with the snake?

If you attempted feeding (though I would imagine it was not you that did it, but Tom), were they all offered on the same day?

Were the females in with them at the time?

How were the uneaten rodents disposed of?

If you tried one feeder each day without females present, and introduced females on different days, then you added 5 different additional stressors on 5 different days to an animal that was already stressed. If you gave a three day acclimatization period (which still isn't enough) before adding any feeders or breeders to the enclosure, then that accounts for all 8 days in your (or not your) care. If you tried multiple feeders on the same day, you only compounded that day's stress. I would imagine that any failed attempt to feed resulted in thoughts of "he must be in breeding mode" and adding a female!

Also, since I am posting...staying balled up in the back while you continually made adjustments to his living arrangements wasn't a clue that you were scaring the crap out of him?

Old 05-09-2012, 01:34 AM   #248
shelliebear
Oops, thanks--you're right, I absolutely did miss those posts. :/ My bad, I apologize.
Also, I would never trust a website that is simply a .com...Anybody can write it. That author is a freelance author whose prime accomplishment is being published on Overstock.com. Even I could get that published. She has a master's degree in biomedical science...They are focused on diagnosing and treating patients, not doing the research required to discover illnesses or treatments in the first place....
Besides, reread that article, bro. It doesn't say being sick directly increases metabolism: it MAY contribute to it. Even a slow metabolism can be a sign of an illness as well as a fast one. Therefore a faster metabolism gives us no more clinical evidence as to the problem as would a normal one, other than SOMETHING was wrong with the snake. STRESS IS LISTED AS A CAUSE IN THAT ARTICLE.
It does not cause the metabolism to speed up, it CONTRIBUTES to it speeding up...and conversely, slowing down.
Stop being rude, and please, really try to word things better. You're making a mockery of yourself...
I never said I was an expert, FOR THE SECOND TIME. I said, "as far as I know..."
So reporting this to doctors is unnecessary, however I would recommend a mental health check for yourself. -_-

Old 05-09-2012, 06:13 AM   #249
Bill T
Quote:
Oops, thanks--you're right, I absolutely did miss those posts. :/ My bad, I apologize.
Also, I would never trust a website that is simply a .com...Anybody can write it. That author is a freelance author whose prime accomplishment is being published on Overstock.com. Even I could get that published. She has a master's degree in biomedical science...They are focused on diagnosing and treating patients, not doing the research required to discover illnesses or treatments in the first place....
Besides, reread that article, bro. It doesn't say being sick directly increases metabolism: it MAY contribute to it. Even a slow metabolism can be a sign of an illness as well as a fast one. Therefore a faster metabolism gives us no more clinical evidence as to the problem as would a normal one, other than SOMETHING was wrong with the snake. STRESS IS LISTED AS A CAUSE IN THAT ARTICLE.
It does not cause the metabolism to speed up, it CONTRIBUTES to it speeding up...and conversely, slowing down.
Stop being rude, and please, really try to word things better. You're making a mockery of yourself...
I never said I was an expert, FOR THE SECOND TIME. I said, "as far as I know..."
So reporting this to doctors is unnecessary, however I would recommend a mental health check for yourself. -_-
First I'm not your Bro and you were just flat out wrong. I don't need to read it I went to school for it. I tried to find something easy for everyone to understand but I guess it was to much for you.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #250
hhmoore
Quote:
Yes it does it speeds up to fight the infection.
Quote:
Keep in mind that we are talking about snakes...not people, or small mammals. Being ectotherms, snakes' metabolisms are more dependent on outside influence (temperature). That is why the common recommendation at any sign of illness is to increase the temperature.
An "outwardly healthy" snake can die within a short period of time - I don't think anybody can really dispute that. We are not really in a position to state that the snake was in poor health when Xavier shipped it...besides, if it appeared unhealthy, I would think the buyer would have done 2 things: made the seller aware, and kept it away from his other snakes. He did neither.
Moving on, a "breeding male" that lies curled up at the back of the tub when in the presence of viable females is no longer in breeding mode. While it is not necessarily surprising that a newly arrived male did not eat when he was being put in with females, when combined with his lack of interest in breeding, common sense would dictate a little private time for him - that didn't seem to happen. Factor in the somewhat rapid fire feeding attempts that must have taken place in order for the snake to have refused multiple multiple prey items within a week and a half, and the buyer has made some glaring mistakes that could be avoided by most newbies after their first session of BP 101. Were those mistakes the cause of death. I can't say based on the information I've seen....but it wouldn't be much of a stretch to consider them contributory.

Bill and Rachelle - I suggest that you agree to disagree, and step to neutral corners. The petty barbs are certainly not beneficial to this thread, and the back and forth is tending toward disruptive.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!