heating Melamine cages - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:12 PM   #1
Duramaxdually
heating Melamine cages

I will soon be building larger enclosures for my female retics
I will be building 96in x 30in x 18-24 in. Was wondering sbo it option for heating I love radiant heat panels but I find the rhp tend to heat the entire cage and my.retics like a cooler side in the low 70s which makes it really.difficult with heat panel. What are some other options if worse comes to worse I WI use heat panels but just checking other options

Old 10-28-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
bcr229
I have Boamaster 96"x30"x18" melamine enclosures with RHP's and the retics that live in them don't seem to have a problem. In fact, they're usually basking under the panel, it's rare that they're on the cool side, and that's with my room temperature in the mid-70's.

I set the thermostat so that the floor under the panel only registers 86-87*F on my heat gun, as when the adult retic is under the panel the top of the snake registers around 90*F. The cool side of the enclosure is a few degrees over the room ambient.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:02 PM   #3
Duramaxdually
Thanks. I really like rhp but I have always used them for gtp only. I recently installed one for my calico retic and she seems to like it so far. Thanks

Old 11-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #4
Star lord
I've used heat rope in a melamine cage for probably 10+ years. Works fine for me.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:52 AM   #5
Josh75
You might want to raise your room temps or the panel heat if your retics are always under the panel and rarely on the cool end. They are telling you something!

Just sayin

Take care

Old 01-06-2016, 09:37 AM   #6
bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh75 View Post
You might want to raise your room temps or the panel heat if your retics are always under the panel and rarely on the cool end. They are telling you something!

Just sayin

Take care
This^ it's good to think about the reality of what your animals are doing so you're in tune with how they are feeling. If they are constantly on the heat, they don't feel warm enough in general. Get it to where they are on and off half the time and you've found your sweet spot IMO.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!