Insulating Cages - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:08 PM   #1
LittleGrayTiger
Insulating Cages

So number one; if cage building from scratch I'm lazy and buy one. This time the math is in my favor AND I get to recycle some furniture.

I'm working with a solid wood framing+doors ex TV center/armoire. I'm curious if it's reasonable to line the outer walls (sides, back) with some amount of sheet foam for insulation? The reason I'm asking is the power is out. Again. It easily happens once a month at least and sometimes twice. It seems to just be the area we live in. I know I need a backup for my snakes' heating if the power isn't coming back on soon. Usually it does come back on in several hours. My thought was maybe I could foam insulate to keep the temperature from dropping AS fast in this cage build, a little like a reverse fridge. So the temperature will equalize, but do it much slower. That way if the power fails while I'm out the snakes will be comfortable for a little longer.

Of course the doors are wood and glass, so they could make the foaming exercise pointless.

Thoughts?

Reptiles in question are pets:!ball pythons and one unusually small male B. imperator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-24-2016, 06:34 PM   #2
Randall Turner
I usually insulate my enclosures, regardless of the material they are constructed from. Whether it helps much or not, any added benefit is a positive when it comes to keeping the animals healthy.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!