Carolina Specialty Pets = BAD GUY - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-21-2005, 06:29 PM   #1
mindcrash
Warning! Carolina Specialty Pets = BAD GUY

The purpose of this post is to describe the experience that I have had in dealing with Carolina Specialty Pets.

On 01/22/05 I received from this company a pair of Uroplatus phantasticus for $250, shipping included. When I opened the box I immediately smelled something foul and feared the worst, and the worst is what I got, as the animals were DOA. They were packed well other than the fact that they put in 3 heat packs, which is what I assume killed the geckos, seeing as how they are a temperate species. Immediately I called Carolina Specialty Pets @ (828)698-9302 and was told to email them pictures (which I had already done) and leave my phone number so that Joe (apparently the guy who runs the show) could call me back. On a parting note, the woman I was spoke with promised that they would "make good" on this.

Instead of calling, Joe emailed me saying that he was going to file a claim with UPS for the cost of these geckos. He also stated that in order for this claim to proceed he would have to file it stating that the damaged goods were rare orchids and they died because of damage done to the box.

In response to this email I stated that I didn't see how their claim with UPS concerned me as I should be getting my refund regardless of their dealings with UPS.

Their response to this, this time by a woman (whose name escapes me), stated that I would indeed get my refund of $250 but they need me to help them with UPS. The tone of the email suggested that unless I help them with their fraudulent claim with UPS then I wouldn't be receiving my refund. Again, this wasn't said, but I felt that it was implied. Fearing no other way to receive my refund, I agreed to help them in their dealings with UPS, but had misgivings from the beginning. I was instructed to damage the box as UPS would be arranging a time with me to pick it up to verify the claim.

All of these emails took place in the first two weeks after I received the dead animals. I have received 2-3 emails from them since then regarding the claim with UPS, but nothing in the past 3 weeks. The last time I attempted to correspond with them was on 02/12/05 in which I demanded my refund.

Here are some pictures of the dead animals:

Unfortunately, I don't believe that I have any recourse in this matter. At this point I am out $250. As I understand it, neither Paypal nor my credit card company will issue a chargeback as I have not sent the animals back, nor can I since I no longer have the dead geckos, I threw them out after about a week, thinking that I would receive my refund. Why wouldn't I think that, if that's what I was promised?

Thank you for reading,

Aaron Rames

Old 02-21-2005, 08:08 PM   #2
Wilomn
Get on the phone with your credit card company now and tell them you did not recieve what you paid for.

Then get on the phone with ups and tell them what these guys did.

You should have done this IMMEDIATELY.

If anyone asks you to lie for them something is VERY wrong. If you went along with it you are partly to blame for your situation BUT you should STILL get a refund.

Old 02-21-2005, 08:36 PM   #3
brucestephenson
I would definitely back out of the claim with UPS and chalk the whole deal up to experience.

Old 02-21-2005, 08:43 PM   #4
Wilomn
Actually I don't think chalking it up to experiance is the right thing to do. Like anyone asked me, but if you let them get away with this they will do it to someone else.

WE, as a community, have to do what we can to squash the parasites in this business. Even if it costs some of us some money, you shouldn't just let something like this go.

Post the rest of the contact info for them. Let everyone know what kind of people they are.

If you're real lucky, they'll see the way they're thought of and give you the refund you deserve. In fact, if they don't know about this thread you should let them know.

Old 02-21-2005, 08:47 PM   #5
brucestephenson
I agree with you Wes. But the UPS thing has me worried for the victim. Of course, putting the deal up here on the BOI has pretty much trashed Carolina.

Old 02-21-2005, 08:53 PM   #6
Wilomn
UPS won't cover loss on animals. So that point/avenue is moot.

PUBLICITY, a bad guys worst nightmare.

Old 02-21-2005, 09:38 PM   #7
mindcrash
I agree, I should not have gone along with the fraudulent claim for one second. I should have stuck to my guns and listened to my gut. However, I have never done anything to advance this fraud with UPS, so though I may have agreed to it initially, I never followed through.

Here is their contact information:

Carolina Specialty Pets
385 Sugarloaf Road, Unit C
Hendersonville, NC 28739
Phone: (828)698-9302
Fax: (828)698-9303
specialtypets@yahoo.com
http://www.carolinaspecialtypets.com

I will send them an email notifying them of this thread, perhaps that will give me some satisfaction, but I doubt it.

Thank you for the suggestions,

Aaron Rames

Old 02-21-2005, 09:49 PM   #8
Wilomn
I am glad to hear you did not go along with it.

Just contact your credit card company and you may get your money back.

Good luck.

Old 02-21-2005, 09:58 PM   #9
ms_terese
Here is what appears on their website:
Quote:
Shipping Rates FedEx Standard Overnight (by 3:00pm) Starts at $20.00 for smaller packages
FedEx Priority Overnight (by 10:00pm) Starts at $25.00 for smaller packages
UPS Overnight Starts at $25.00 for smaller packages
Airborne Express Overnight Starts at $35.00 for smaller packages
USPS Priority Starts at $10.00 (no live arrival guarantee, I will only ship certain species of invertebrates via USPS

[BOLD]All animals are guaranteed to arrive alive and in good health unless otherwise stated.[/BOLD]
A clear color photograph will be needed to provide proof of any DOA.
Wholesale purchases are a minimum of $100.00
For any questions on shipping or anything else please contact us for personalized service.
First of all, does anyone else think it's odd that the animals are guaranteed to arrive alive and in good health "unless otherwise stated"? Has anyone ever offered to purchase a dead or unhealthy animal? How odd....

Anyway, they guaranteed live arrival. Charge it back with your credit card company. The credit card company will give you paperwork to fill out if they protest it. Make sure you print a copy of the live arrival guarantee (before it gets taken down) to accompany your affidavit. Also print out any emails that were exchanged to send along as well. Document, document, document.

Do NOT let them get away with this. Poor shipping is a forgivable error, but not making it right with the customer and attempting to defraud the carrier are not errors, they are glaring markers of unethical behavior.

Really, now, between these yahoos and the venomous-via-overnight shippers, are any of us going to be surprised when there are no longer any viable means of transporting animals?

Old 02-21-2005, 10:15 PM   #10
cthulhu77
It would be interesting to hear their side of the story...I have never heard of asking a client to lie for you !!! That is truly despicable...
greg

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!