Hay all my name is Vinny i have studied herpetology for almost 15 years mostly snakes - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 02-25-2006, 08:10 PM   #71
ladyserpent7
oh realllly whyd you pass on the purchase hmmmmmmmmmmm?..i thought you wanted to get eaten..hehe im just jk w/ you

Old 02-25-2006, 09:05 PM   #72
Fangthane
I want one that COULD eat me..not one that actively wants to. Aggressive isn't even the word..that little guy was straight up hostile.

Old 02-25-2006, 10:06 PM   #73
ladyserpent7
haha..aww...poor baby..wow..you guys make it seem like its so easy dealing with an anaconda "can i hold it.....sure." its like youre dealing with garter snakes....wait strike that...theyre probably the most aggressive..haha...i hope one day i get the courage to deal with one...ive dealt with burmese pythons before...i had taken a pic with one and i remember that it was me and two other exfriends..and i was at the end...so it body was completely wrapped around my waste...and i could feel it squeeze a little bit...it was a 16 footer...it was so awesome....(and the obssession grows) haha...i wish i could post a pic..but it was taken at the retptile show and they didnt give me negatives, so i cant put it in my computer..well i do have a scanner and i heard you can do it through that, but dont know how..lol...but i think you guys are really brave for handling those creatures on a daily basis...

Old 02-25-2006, 10:47 PM   #74
Fangthane
Crikey!! There's the dreaded garter snake..most dangerous beast known to man. Look out mate it's coming right for us!! Honestly it's been extremely easy handling MY anacondas..apparently everyone else's aren't so nice. The one I have now is basically like a really big and fat cornsnake as far as temperment goes. No way I'd let an ignorant like that one that bit me anywhere near my baby even just to breed. She might pick up bad habits and have a go at me. She's getting big enough to do some damage.

Old 02-26-2006, 03:49 AM   #75
hhmoore
Maybe I'm missing something in the pics, but I don't see anything that makes the yellow look like a hybrid.
One of my male yellows is a biter...but I really haven't put any effort into stopping that. It's on my list of things to do, lol

Old 02-26-2006, 03:53 AM   #76
ladyserpent7
so what exactly DO you do to "train" them not to bite...regarding condas alone..is it like other snakes...you handle them more...or what?

Old 02-26-2006, 06:46 AM   #77
crotalusadamanteus
Bingo! That's about all you can do. I'll tell you.........ANY snake can be tamed through handling. It requires patience, and you can't give up.
Of cource, now Harald will come along and make Me eat My words because He knows a trick that I don't. HA HA HA

I think you got the wrong impression of condas though. I have been tagged By more retics than any other snake, and never by a conda. But a lot of species will bite as a neonates and yearlings. They have nothing but instinct to guide them. They learn NOT to bite in time.

Harald, it's GREEN, not Yellow. That's why I was thinking hybrid. Is it normal for a yellows to be green? Some anomoly in the phenotype perhaps?

Rick

Old 02-26-2006, 07:46 AM   #78
Vinny D
well congrats Dan on your first hot a canebreak is a good choice but even though he isnt rattling or striking doesnt mean he wont bite lol i have learned that call me today when u wake up and ill come over and show you the basics ur a very smart guy so u know it will be no problem and i want a pic of him/her and i would have passed on that green too lol ttyl..

Old 02-26-2006, 07:55 AM   #79
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyserpent7
so what exactly DO you do to "train" them not to bite...regarding condas alone..is it like other snakes...you handle them more...or what?
take'm out & let'em bite ya til they get tired, lol
of course, I'm only half joking...it's just like with birds - if they know you are afraid of getting bitten, you're done for. If getting bitten doesn't drive you away or otherwise compel you to leave them alone, it isn't always worth the effort. Get past that, and get them to accept that you aren't a threat, and you're on your way. Of course, sometimes they just like to bite people...when you get one of those, I've found that using some conditioning tricks works wonders: You know how you deter dogs from digging all over the place, right? Give them a place that it is ok to dig. To deter them from chewing the furniture...give them something else to chew on. If you don't want a 'conda to bite you, sacrifice somebody else's arm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
ANY snake can be tamed through handling. It requires patience, and you can't give up.
I don't know about that one, Rick...I think there are some that would like the opportunity to prove you wrong, lol. If you start while they are young enough, you've got a decent shot.

Quote:
I think you got the wrong impression of condas though. I have been tagged By more retics than any other snake, and never by a conda.
Some 'condas are fantastic, calm animals (3 of my 4)...but that is not always the case. I have worked with some pretty vicious ones - gotten them sorta handleable, but not really anything I trusted a whole lot. Being able to "read" the snake is must.

Quote:
Harald, it's GREEN, not Yellow. That's why I was thinking hybrid. Is it normal for a yellows to be green? Some anomoly in the phenotype perhaps?
There is, of course, some variation in the quality of the yellow you will find; but, as I said, I didn't seen anything in those pics that would make me think it was a hybrid. Greens are really olive green (again, with some variance), and most of the hybrids I have seen tend toward a somewhat lighter version of that coloration....except their head and upper neck, where they seem to look more like yellows. The patterning seems to be a mixture of both species: the large isolated spots of the green, and the combined spots of the yellows. I'll admit that I haven't seen a huge number of yellowXgreen hybrids in person - probably about 15 - but each time I found myself doing a double take because it didn't look right (they weren't always "labeled" as hybrids).

Old 02-26-2006, 08:14 AM   #80
Vinny D
like i have said many of times it dosent matter the species of the snake like take a retic for example they are known to be super agressive species but i have had retics that i trusted more than my dog lol every snake or animal has it's own personality rember they are way more afraid of us than we are of them anacondas esp wild collected ones do tend to be super agressive but my yellow conda and Dans yellow are as tame as puppies but i have also seen corn snakes like my snow corn that is as mean as a baby cobra so u just cant say that "ANACONDAS OR ANY OTHER SPECIES ARE AGRESSIVE" yes in a group they can be concidered agressive but it just depends on the snake it self i hope this information help's some of you fellow herpers that you cant judge a snake by the species if it is going to be agressive or not thanks for reading

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!