Thinking about something - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-30-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
techgirl
Thinking about something

I have been heavily debating on getting into breeding with my ball pythons. Right now I only have 2 normals, but am planning on either ball a few hets at Hamburg or one really nice morph. I had kept reptiles many years ago and then fell away from it due to college. I have been back into keeping snakes and lizards for now about 2 years. I enjoy having them and would love to expand my interest in them. I would love to breed them and see if I can make that one beautiful snake that stands out. I have avenues to home excess snakes if need be. My boyfriend is in the process of building a rack for me so that I can expand my collection. I only have a hovabator right now for an incubator and hope in the future to acquire a better one. My plan is to first breed my leos and get comfortable with breeding and incubating them before going into balls. I know this will take some time but that is perfect for me since I have a child and know later I will have more free time. My question is this..is it recommended to start with hets or just get the one nice morph? I love albinos, pastels and pieds. I love the look of spiders and bumblebees, but money as of now tells me no. I would like input on what is the best way to get started on this. I have been reading and taking notes as for cooling,breeding, and incubating (should check out all the bookmarks on my computer and books! LOL). I would just like an honest opinion on how to start off now on the right foot so that in the future I could right and well. Thank you so much for your input and opinions. I have always enjoyed reading everyone's discussions here and taken all input seriously.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
LadyOhh
Well, you need to have a good solid reputation if you sell hets. People are too scared of hets now (IMO, as sad as it is) being sold from people who have not sold to anyone before or selling fake ones, so it will be more difficult for you in the long run.

If you want to start of breeding, try a co-dom. Since you like bumblebees, buy a pastel, breed it to your girls, keep back some female pastels, and then eventually buy into the spiders. This will give you practice and reputation, and then you can go into the het field...

Albinos are great, and so are all the recessives, but unless you have the money, reputation, and the time, its much more difficult. You can buy a pair of hets from someone trustworthy and go from there as well, and breed the het male to your females, and keep back the 50%er females as well... Longer road to the same conclusion, but if you have the time, I'd say go for it. It's cheaper!

All in all, buy what you love, do what you can, and you will have a great deal of fun.

I do, and I don't regret a thing.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
techgirl
Thank you so much!! I really appreciate it.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:44 PM   #4
Melinda
Quote:
Well, you need to have a good solid reputation if you sell hets. People are too scared of hets now (IMO, as sad as it is) being sold from people who have not sold to anyone before or selling fake ones, so it will be more difficult for you in the long run.
You said it!! The het albino market is flooded IMHO and since the recent mess with a certain seller/breeder, people are very cautious about whom they buy from.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:04 PM   #5
SPJ
Hets are tough to sell unless people have heard of you.
I have sold a few but that was after having been selling for quite some time.

I would get a visual albino and a het albino if you want to start breeding them. This will help with you being able to sell them. You will be able to offer not only hets but possibly visuals as well. People seeing a pic of the clutch would help greatly when you first start out.

You could also go with a male pastel and some nice normal females. Breed them and trade pastels or sell them to get other morphs. This would also help you build your reputation.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:09 PM   #6
techgirl
Here's another question...

I am thankul and appreciative of all the advice that has been given. I am definitely going to lean the way of pastels and am going to look more into the albinos(just need to see how cost wise it works out for me at the show). I am debating on bringing some snakes that I have for trade and want to know the opinions on what luck I may have doing so. I have a baby western hognose female, a baby sinaloan female, and a male kenyan. I love them but would really like to dedicate myself more to balls and leos. I am on the fence with the kenyan because he is a gorgeous boy and nice temperment. How does it work with trading? I have never done it before and would like to know the etiquettes of it. Thanks again.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
SPJ
I wouldn't bring them unless you already have a deal worked out in advance.
You cannot bring animals into a show unless you are a vendor at the show.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:41 PM   #8
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by techgirl
How does it work with trading? I have never done it before and would like to know the etiquettes of it. Thanks again.
Pretty simple. Post an ad stating what you are looking for and what you have to trade towards it. Be prepared for a trade value to be higher than if you bought the animal outright. Not everyone has a cash price and a trade price but it's not uncommon to see it.

If you initiate the trade, you would be expected to ship first unless it's local. If you ship first MAKE SURE you check on the persons rep.
If you get any uneasy feelings during the deal, end it. Most of the time a gut feeling turns out to be correct.

To be honest, the trade value for a hog, milk and sand boa is not going to be all that much. You may end up having to add cash to the deal. Also, due to the fact that these are all different types of animals, don't be surprised if it is kind of tough to find someone who works with all 3 types and has what you are looking for.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:02 PM   #9
techgirl
ok, good to know. I am definitely learning alot here. Thank you so much Steve.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!