is it field collecting when they come to you? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:01 PM   #1
Traci
is it field collecting when they come to you?

You may have heard, but Central Texas is getting rain. Lots of rain. My grass is high, the backyard pond is hoppin' (pretty literally with all the visiting amphibians at night). And now the snakes are arriving - and during the day to boot.

Last Sunday the following critters were in the backyard.

1) lovely bright green rough green snake. So cute, about 14 inches long roughly - must have been a juvenile.
2) a rather skinny, but longish (5 feet+ as a guestimate) bull snake. missing the tip of his tail, but it seemed to be healing up. coloration was a little disappointing, but standard blotchy brown on creamish.

These were both extremely docile. They allowed me to pick them up and remove them to the greenbelt and away from my cats - the dreaded reptile attackers - but not before a slight puncture on the rough green snake's side. I think the cats were scared of the bull snake, my husband certainly was!

3) a cute little hognose - less than a foot. he wasn't real happy about being noticed by the kids - he hightailed it under the shed real quick!
4) a spiny lizard - also a cat victim! we kept him for a few days observation to make sure he was good to go. He's the only one I was able to sex because he had the typical blue color on his belly.

Not a bad count for a single day in the backyard!

Old 07-27-2007, 10:19 AM   #2
RowingMunkeyCU
sweet! that's pretty cool, i wish i could get cool critters wandering through my backyard...

only things i get are bums and neighbors :-/

Old 08-03-2007, 11:49 PM   #3
Tim Cole
Angry Sounds like

you found out about the damage outdoor cats do to out native wildlife without being told. They are indoors now right?

Old 08-04-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
romad119
Are they your cats?

Old 08-04-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
Ed Clark
Thumbs up

Traci, thanks for sharing. its been hot and dry here in Jersey and all types of reptiles and amphibians have been showing up at my frog ponds. the big bullfrogs calling at nite are my favorites.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
dzoo
lol, I know what you mean, I found this wild Eastern Milk in my house - while looking for an escaped boa. I also released a rescued small black rat snake outside of my house only to find him inside a week later sitting by the TV, pretty sure it was the same snake.....
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2007, 12:09 AM   #7
Ed Clark
Thumbs up

These guys are thriving in my basement and I see them a couple times a week. its cool sharing your space with wild animals! with Black Rats there is no rodent problems
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2007, 08:35 PM   #8
crotalusadamanteus
Traci, the new laws pertain to collecting from public roads and right of way. Private property remains private.

Not a bad find. I see more rattlers than anything around here. But not so far this year.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!