Venemoids disgust me - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-31-2006, 10:40 PM   #11
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyduckworth
what's ironic is that america is all about circumcision though (3-1 ratio)
well, if a large percentage of circumcisions were performed at home, under nonsterile conditions, and had a high infection/mortality rate, that statement might be applicable to the subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyduckworth
i think a lot of people are just jumping on the bandwagon because the sentiment among herpers is that it's bad.........i think it's dumb unless done properly and for a purpose such as education or whatever, but i don't think most really care as much as they say......that's why they command a higher price tag and sell quickly
I definitely disagree with you. While there may be a few jumpers, most of the people that actually go to the trouble of speaking out against venomoids have very strong feelings on the subject. There are a lot of people that don't know or care about any of the issues, owning a void is a chance to have a cool snake that they don't think can kill them - THAT is why they sell quickly. As for the higher pricetag - factor in time, supplies, labor, and mortality...not to mention that people are paying for a safety net (that may or may not actually work).

Old 08-01-2006, 07:05 AM   #12
crotalusadamanteus
Exactly. And when one of the ductectomies isn't done properly, and the snake regenerates it's ducts, and envenomates it's owner because the owner is counting on the surgery being affective...............Than what? It's better to just learn to handle the snake properly and while INTACT. Keeping the owner full aware of the dangers involved.

It's a proven fact people let there guard down when handling voids. They are counting on the proceedure that was performed. Not even a void should be handled as a non venomous animal, but I've seen it done.

None of these proceedures can replace being well taught how to handle the snake properly, and safely in the first place, and practiceing it even with voids. They are dangerous simply because people assume the ducts and glands were properly removed, and get careless.

Rick

Old 08-01-2006, 11:22 PM   #13
Tim Cole
For Example...

I just got a good deal on a adult albino atrox that was SUPPOSED to be a venomoid! Not!

Old 08-02-2006, 06:56 AM   #14
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cole
I just got a good deal on a adult albino atrox that was SUPPOSED to be a venomoid! Not!

Well, better someone like you get it than someone else who may not have bothered to check. You just sharpened My point. But i'll not stick it in any deeper. LOL

Is there any eveidence the proceedure was done at all? Just curious.

Rick

Old 08-02-2006, 08:49 AM   #15
Tim Cole
Warning! Evidence is there...

When milked one fang produced venom and one does not.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:08 AM   #16
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cole
When milked one fang produced venom and one does not.
oops.
Or perhaps I should have shown dismay that something like that could happen...or accused you of being mistaken, because a devenomized rattlesnake doesn't & cannot have venom.
Hmmmmmmm.
Oh, I forgot - I KNOW it can happen, too. Guess I'll stick with my original oops. At least you got a good deal

Old 08-02-2006, 01:02 PM   #17
Junkyard
Personally, I do not like being bit by any snake, venomous or not. The thought of having two inch fangs tag me instead of 4 millimeter fangs hit me is more then enough to keep me away from the "hots" and "not so hots". I guess my tolerance for pain is not as high as others. At least I know my snakes do not have the potential of killing me with one bite. Maybe I am not cool enough.

Old 08-02-2006, 06:48 PM   #18
crotalusadamanteus
Well, maybe you aren't cool enough.......... But you got some cool snakes. HA HA HA

Old 08-02-2006, 06:51 PM   #19
hhmoore
If it's any consolation, Michael, I'm not nearly as cool as I used to be...

but I am smarter.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:02 PM   #20
Tim Cole
Thumbs up Harold,

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
If it's any consolation, Michael, I'm not nearly as cool as I used to be...

but I am smarter.
You're starting to sound like Wes!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!