Question for anyone who breeds - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-15-2005, 11:01 PM   #1
ItsAHausFull
Question for anyone who breeds

Our first eggs ever are due to hatch in the next week or so. They are in an incubator and we followed Albey's directions carefully! The only thing we aren't sure of is when to remove them after they hatch. I know the process takes several hours to get all the way out of the egg. Should I allow the hatchling to remain in the container w/ the other eggs to rest or remove it immediately.( all the eggs are marked so we will fix them if they shift) With all the books and caresheets we have downloaded over the past 2 yrs...few deal w/ the time immediately after hatching. We are seting up a tank for them over the weekend to get the temps stable with papertowels for substrate but any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to screw this up. I wanted to start now so everything is ready and waiting. Murphy's Law is a way of life around here! LOL

Old 04-15-2005, 11:07 PM   #2
Xavier
My thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAHausFull
Our first eggs ever are due to hatch in the next week or so. They are in an incubator and we followed Albey's directions carefully! The only thing we aren't sure of is when to remove them after they hatch. I know the process takes several hours to get all the way out of the egg. Should I allow the hatchling to remain in the container w/ the other eggs to rest or remove it immediately.( all the eggs are marked so we will fix them if they shift) With all the books and caresheets we have downloaded over the past 2 yrs...few deal w/ the time immediately after hatching. We are seting up a tank for them over the weekend to get the temps stable with papertowels for substrate but any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to screw this up. I wanted to start now so everything is ready and waiting. Murphy's Law is a way of life around here! LOL
I remove them as soon as I see them fully hatched, I also keep the food dish right infront of the hide box.....

Old 04-15-2005, 11:09 PM   #3
VipVenom
Hatching does not always take hours. Some of mine hatch out in a matter of 5 or 10 minutes. I know because I have watched them practically jump out of the egg. I always remove the hatchlings as soon as I have found they hatch. They sometimes will dig. I have taken them a few seconds after they hatch and I have never had a problem. Just make sure to give them a hide spot that is very low, they like to feel something on their back. And spray some water on the sides of the enclosure since they sometimes will not drink from a bowl.

hope this helps,
Chris

Old 04-15-2005, 11:19 PM   #4
Gregg M
What I do is, I take them out as soon as they hatch..... I put them in a rack draw with damp (not soaked) paper towels as a substrate..... I will offer them food 3 days after hatching or when I see the first poop.....

Old 04-15-2005, 11:28 PM   #5
WiteLeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg M
What I do is, I take them out as soon as they hatch..... I put them in a rack draw with damp (not soaked) paper towels as a substrate..... I will offer them food 3 days after hatching or when I see the first poop.....
Thats what I do. After the first pooop, then you know they have shed and are ready to eat.

I also hold them after they shed for a little bit just to get it in there mind that people or not preditors.

Like the others said, they need moist paper towels, not wet.

Old 04-16-2005, 12:05 AM   #6
leaftail
Quote:
Originally Posted by VipVenom
And spray some water on the sides of the enclosure since they sometimes will not drink from a bowl.
I offer them water right away by spraying water on the side of the enclosure too, right after I put them in it. Most of the time they seem to be quite thirsty right out of the egg and lick up a lot of this water.

Old 04-16-2005, 01:13 AM   #7
Golden Gate Geckos
yup

ditto!!!

Old 04-16-2005, 11:24 AM   #8
dragonflyreptiles
I take them out as soon as I see them out of the egg too, and mist the tub when I put them in and several times a day. I use a pickle jar lid for water and a peanut butter lid for mealies, I offer mealies only for the first week or so, as to not stress the baby with crickets jumping around, then once they are eating well and growing I offer crix 2 - 3 times a week, 2 or 3 at a time.

Old 04-16-2005, 02:11 PM   #9
weswright
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflyreptiles
I offer mealies only for the first week or so, as to not stress the baby with crickets jumping around,
Do you use mini mealies or regular meals?

Old 04-16-2005, 05:20 PM   #10
dragonflyreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by weswright
Do you use mini mealies or regular meals?
I use small's from Grubco, I did get mini's one time and they were just tooo small, I go with smalls for quite a while, then medium then large. Im sure they could eat larger mealies sooner but Id rather them eat more of a smaller food. It may cost a little more but I don't worry about the cost.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!