Info LLLReptile.com - Misrepresenting animals - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
DanGill
LLLReptile.com - Misrepresenting animals

A few days ago I came across a listing on LLLReptile.com's website for "het snow" leopard geckos. This immediately caught my attention, since "snow" is either a co-dom mutation or line bred in leopard geckos, and therefore you cannot get non-visual hets. I realize that the term "snow" is used to describe a myriad of morphs in other reptiles, all of which are inherited in their own specific way, and mistakes are easy to make. However, what prompts this post, is that after I made LLLReptile aware of the mistake, they did not change their listing. I have included their response below. I also included a screen shot of the listing.

Quote:
Yes, you are correct. We have been going over exactly that with customers interested in those animals to eliminate confusion about future breeding. The listing is a misnomer.
Most people educated about the morph genetics (like yourself) are aware of the difference, but the general public would not know.
We appreciate the email, it's good to know people are "looking out" for others

Sincerely,
Kate Larsen
LLLReptile & Supply Co. Inc.
www.LLLReptile.com
760-439-8492

In a message dated 6/17/2009 12:24:36 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, noreply@lllreptile.com writes:

You have animals listed on your website as "het snow" leopard geckos. This is not possible. There are two different strains of "snow." One is co-dominant, and therefore non-visual "hets" are not possible. An animal possessing a single copy of a co-dominant trait would be "snow" one with two copies a "super snow." The other is line bred - which is synonymous with the selectively bred tangerine geckos. When a tangerine is bred to a normal, you do not get "het tangerines" because it is not a single genetic mutation, rather many genes working together to get that specific outcome.

I just wanted to point this out so it's not misleading to potential buyers. I'm sure it gets confusing when the term "snow" is used for dozens of different species and is inherited in different ways in each.

Dan

Old 06-19-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
Will0W783
So they agreed it was a misnomer, but didn't change it? The wording of their response raises a red flag in my eyes-
Quote:
Most people educated about the morph genetics (like yourself) are aware of the difference, but the general public would not know.
Does that mean they are admitting to trying to mislead buyers? Or just that they chose that label and don't really understand what it means?

Old 06-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
scaledverts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGill View Post
We have been going over exactly that with customers interested in those animals to eliminate confusion about future breeding.

Here's a thought, just off the top of my head. Why not change the website to accurately reflect the TRUE/ACTUAL genetics of the animals for sale?

To me anyone that purchased one of these "het snows" from LLL should be given a full refund immediately.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaledverts View Post
Here's a thought, just off the top of my head. Why not change the website to accurately reflect the TRUE/ACTUAL genetics of the animals for sale?
It's been two days.

Have any other items on the website been updated during that time?

Does LLL have a full time employee specifically dedicated to updating the website or is it something someone who has other duties does on a weekly (for example) basis?

Quote:
To me anyone that purchased one of these "het snows" from LLL should be given a full refund immediately.
Has anyone purchased one while under the misimpression that it was an accurate statement of genetics- or have LLL employees responding to email or sales requests been correcting the issue with customers as it comes up- while they wait for the website to be amended?

There's a big difference between a mistake- which this could quite easily be- and a deliberate and calculated attempt to commit fraud.

Unless an animal has actually been sold to a customer who was not first given the correct information about the incorrectly listed genetics, it's not fraud. It's just a mistake on a list of animals for sale.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
LLLReptile
Actually, I am the one who usually updates the animals on the site, and have been gone since yesterday morning when Kate emailed you back. (others can change our site, but this was emailed to me to fix, and I have been gone)

Settle down there guys . An employee added them to the site, given incorrect information by a customer they bought them from, and didn't know or was just brain dead at the time! Happens to us all. Our employees are extremely smart as many of you know, but you can't know every trait on every animal every time. It has been changed, and obviously wasn't up to sell someone a sixty dollar adult leopard gecko trying to fool them... Come on. You got a very polite email back from Kate, who emailed me to take care of it, and 36 hours later, it was done. Normally, I get to things much quicker. I do apologize for it though on behalf of all of us. I get irritated when the site has a spelling mistake, let alone something like this!

Like she said - thanks for pointing out the brain fart on our part. There were only a few adults, and nobody bought them, so nobody is under the wrong impression with their animal.

Thanks again!

Scott
LLLReptile & Supply

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!