About the Good Guy Certification Program - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #51
hhmoore
I think that is more an issue of awareness. I think that only a relatively small number of members know that there is such a thing as a Good Guy Certification....and probably an even smaller number know that there is a poll involved. (Of course, fewer paid members means fewer people eligible to vote, too).

I think that feedback from some of the yellowed names could be valuable - without it, we're just guessing about the reasons - and that is still conspicuously absent.

I personally don't like the idea of adding a GGC button - but I wouldn't object strenuously if one were added. Anybody have any other ideas on how to increase awarenss of the GGC, and spur some participation? I'd be more than happy to start contacting the expired members....but if the plan is to let it die, there isn't much point.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #52
joshjtd
I guess I would first want to make sure that my understanding in the overall goal of the program is was correct. When I applied, I wanted it to do two things really. First beings as a way for folks of this site as well as anyone who ordered from me directly, had a place to view and leave feedback. Since you have to be a contributor to vote, that narrowed down that idea a bit.

The second was for folks not familiar with Fauna would have the opportunity to come poke around a bit and see what it is about. If I didn't have what they wanted, perhaps they could find someone here who did. Having a place to answer their questions and what not also.

I think that most of the more recent folks, take the trader rating as what they base their "buying comfortability" on. While I do think it is a handy tool, I have asked customers to please leave feedback, good bad or ugly. Sadly, they rarely follow through.

Thinking out loud here, and I am sure that much of this is easier said than done, when a seller lists an ad and finds a buyer here on Fauna, have some form that is sent to both parties. If that seller has a GGC post, have that as well as the trader ranking link in the form. I am just trying to get a more "in your face" approach to bringing awareness to the GGC.

I do think you are right Harald that many folks have gotten away from the business for one reason or another. I also think many of the newer folks aren't aware that the GGC even exists. Perhaps instead of a button a sticky post with a link to GGC forum on each classified section?

Old 03-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #53
hhmoore
Unfortunately, most people don't look at the stickies

I think you're running into the same issue with Trader Ratings and the GGC poll - both require paid membership to access...while that rules out a lot of people, I wouldn't want to reverse it. Of course, posting to the BOI is free - and that is probably the first place I would recommend somebody to look to check on a seller (or buyer), because Trader Ratings only tell a piece of the story.

I like the GGC...and I will be disappointed if the program is canned; but if it is to be continued, I think some things need to be changed:
More regular audits, applications should be processed at regular (and timely) intervals, and notifications sent to anybody that is out of compliance when audited.
I also think the program needs to be in the open - discussed and promoted - so people WANT to participate.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #54
joshjtd
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Unfortunately, most people don't look at the stickies

I think you're running into the same issue with Trader Ratings and the GGC poll - both require paid membership to access...while that rules out a lot of people, I wouldn't want to reverse it. Of course, posting to the BOI is free - and that is probably the first place I would recommend somebody to look to check on a seller (or buyer), because Trader Ratings only tell a piece of the story.

I like the GGC...and I will be disappointed if the program is canned; but if it is to be continued, I think some things need to be changed:
More regular audits, applications should be processed at regular (and timely) intervals, and notifications sent to anybody that is out of compliance when audited.
I also think the program needs to be in the open - discussed and promoted - so people WANT to participate.
I agree. I would also add that it is a one chance deal. If you apply and are granted a certificate, you are responsible for keeping in compliance with the program. If you fall out of compliance and do not fix the issue(s) in a set time, you are no longer eligible to participate.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #55
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjtd View Post
I would also add that it is a one chance deal. If you apply and are granted a certificate, you are responsible for keeping in compliance with the program. If you fall out of compliance and do not fix the issue(s) in a set time, you are no longer eligible to participate.
That seems a bit self defeating, don't you think? What if you had a problem with a customer, and your poll went negative for a while - how would you feel about not being eligible to participate if things got resolved? (there's more than one way to be out of compliance.)

Old 03-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #56
joshjtd
You would have to have a thresh hold for each criteria. Say 30 days for contributing member status and 180 days for negative feedback status. Perhaps have an appeal form that you can have to appeal a ban from the program that can only be used once?

My thought with the stay in compliance is to make sure that the program is used and promoted as well as less adminstrative time for Rich and you mod types. Not sure the amount of application traffic that goes through that forum but perhaps have a person that handles just that part?

Old 03-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #57
joshjtd
Sorry to keep posting but it is one of the features I like about this site and don't want to see it go away

Old 03-13-2012, 05:29 AM   #58
hhmoore
There is nothing automatic about the GGCs - everything is done manually. Applications have to be reviewed for eligibility, then people are sent the code and processed (including entry into the GGC forum and setting up the poll). Two of the audited items are now covered by programs, which makes it a lot easier; but there are other things that still need to be checked by people, like verification of website and placement of the "certificate". Problems with accounts have to be addressed manually, as well - including removing or reinstating them, and any necessary contact with the members.
I agree that reducing administrative time would be a plus, but I doubt that Rich wants to sink much into custom programming...especially now. I'm willing to take on certain task oriented portions at reasonable intervals - but I try to stay realistic about what I agree to. I've got a lot on my plates already, and things are going to get busier from April - October when house and yard season kicks into gear. (I'm going really light on breeding this year, so baby season shouldn't be too overwhelming)

Old 03-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #59
dragonlvr64
I am thinking a lot of those yellowed people may no longer be in business.
I would be more than willing to help in whatever way possible. Manually saves a lot of money.
Going through and contracting people who are out of compliance, maybe finding out why and then forwarding info to the next person who does whatever the next part would be.
Even in this thread here, only a couple people have responded. Not sure if being it does not apply to most they skim over it, or they don't care about it.

I am not a creative person and can't come up with anything that will help bring awareness to this topic.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:42 AM   #60
WebSlave
Just a note about this, I'm going through the certificates now, weeding out all of those that are now apparently out of business, and making note of those that are still apparently with active websites sporting the banner but are no longer paying members here. I've had a couple of people request that I keep the GGC program running, so what the heck. Things are tough for a lot of people, so I guess many just found that they can't keep on doing this kind of business. No sense penalizing everyone because the economy has socked a lot of people right on the chin.

So yeah, I'll go ahead and keep this running. At least until I discouraged about it again...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!