Email notifications - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:26 PM   #1
Mike Greathouse
Email notifications

Has anyone else noticed that the Email Notifications for subscribed threads no longer quote the message that has been posted?

I, for one, would like to see this feature restored. There are times when it's nice to see what has been posted without having to actually visit the thread.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:35 PM   #2
DAND
Unhappy

Heck, you're lucky to get e-mail notifications. I haven't received one in for quite some time.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:41 PM   #3
Mike Greathouse
David,
This may seem like a stupid question, but do you have your Default Thread Subscription Mode set to "Instant Email Notification"?

Old 09-11-2006, 08:59 PM   #4
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Greathouse
David,
This may seem like a stupid question, but do you have your Default Thread Subscription Mode set to "Instant Email Notification"?
I did have it set up that way and even just went and checked to see if it was changed for some reason but it is set to receive "instant e-mail Notification" yet I don't receive them. Nor do I receive the e-mail notification for PM's sent to me. I'm at a loss as to the reason(s).

Old 09-11-2006, 10:01 PM   #5
WebSlave
Quote:
Has anyone else noticed that the Email Notifications for subscribed threads no longer quote the message that has been posted?

I, for one, would like to see this feature restored. There are times when it's nice to see what has been posted without having to actually visit the thread.
I disabled that function of the email notifications. I was getting inundated with emails from people who thought they could simply reply to that message and it would go to the member who posted that reply to the thread. Even though I had already put a notice in that notice that they could not do that.

So I had to take a more drastic step to try to accomplish that goal.

This also had a side effect that could have been a problem for members concerning their posted ads here. Those replying to those emails concerning replies to their classified ads may think they were simply being ignored when they never got a reply to THEIR email message. So quite frankly, that function could have cost them business inadvertently.

Sorry, but with all things considered, that just needed to be done.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:40 AM   #6
reptilebreeder
Another case of a good/useful function that gets taken away because some people are to stupid to know an automated notification from a website, has nothing to do with origination to/from the person who wrote the post. That it is a notification that someone replied to a thread one is "subscribed" to, not a private e-mail. stupid people seem to be multiplying exponentially (the idiots probably won't know what that means either)

Old 09-12-2006, 04:01 PM   #7
Mike Greathouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
I disabled that function of the email notifications. I was getting inundated with emails from people who thought they could simply reply to that message and it would go to the member who posted that reply to the thread. Even though I had already put a notice in that notice that they could not do that.
Sorry, but with all things considered, that just needed to be done.
OK - I understand and I don't disagree with your decision. But in my mind, it makes the email notifications completely useless, so I think that they should be removed altogether.

However, I think there is a bug in the sytem as I have changed my preferences to No Email Notification, but I am still receiving them. Is there a time frame that must pass before these changes become effective?

Thanks,

Old 09-12-2006, 05:52 PM   #8
WebSlave
Quote:
OK - I understand and I don't disagree with your decision. But in my mind, it makes the email notifications completely useless, so I think that they should be removed altogether.

However, I think there is a bug in the sytem as I have changed my preferences to No Email Notification, but I am still receiving them. Is there a time frame that must pass before these changes become effective?

Thanks,
Sorry but I disagree with your assessment of my decision. The email notifications still server a worthy purpose by notifying members that a thread they are subscribed to has had a reply posted to it. In the case of classified ads, I feel this is essential to the members placing those ads so they know they have a potential customer on the line.

If you want to terminate email notifications from threads, you need to UNSUBSCRIBE from them. That is the best way to do that.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #9
DAND
Rich,

Any idea as to how I can receive e-mail notifications?

Old 09-12-2006, 06:43 PM   #10
WebSlave
If you are subscribed to threads and DON'T receive the notifications, then I would suspect the problem is at your ISP.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!