Email notification problem - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:24 PM   #1
jglass38
Email notification problem

Sorry if this was mentioned already but for the last few days my email notifications contain everything except the text of the post like they used to. I get everything on my Blackberry and if I am away from the computer, sometimes use it to access the site. Weird?

Old 09-14-2006, 01:27 PM   #2
Mike Greathouse
Jamie,
Here's the explanation: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=86630

Old 09-14-2006, 01:29 PM   #3
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Greathouse
Thanks Mike for the link although its a shockingly awful explanation from Rich. If he doesn't want to get replies then have the email come from an account that doesn't accept emails and sends back an autoreply that the email has been ignored. People will figure it out. Ridiculous!

Old 09-14-2006, 01:55 PM   #4
Mike Greathouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglass38
If he doesn't want to get replies then have the email come from an account that doesn't accept emails and sends back an autoreply that the email has been ignored
I think that is an excellent idea. I would love to see it implemented.

I too, often check message via a wireless connection and are unable to visit the site to see the actual message. I have since discontinued all email notifications for posts as they have become useless to me.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:33 PM   #5
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglass38
Thanks Mike for the link although its a shockingly awful explanation from Rich. If he doesn't want to get replies then have the email come from an account that doesn't accept emails and sends back an autoreply that the email has been ignored. People will figure it out. Ridiculous!
Wanna bet? Each of those notifications had this text PLAINLY posted within it:
Quote:
Hello XXXXXXX,

THIS IS NOT AN EMAIL FROM SOMEONE YOU CAN REPLY TO! THIS IS A NOTIFICATION OF A REPLY TO A POST ON FAUNACLASSIFIEDS.COM! PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND! YOUR REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE WILL NOT GO ANYWHERE!
What makes you think your suggestion will work any better? Are you familiar with vBulletin at all? As far as I am aware, there is no way to segregate the emails in the manner you are suggesting, which would mean that ALL emails would get ignored. So then how many people would now complain about THAT?

Sorry that you don't like this change, nor my explanation of "why", but that's just the way it is going to have to be, all things considered.

Simply set your USER CP so that you don't automatically subscribe to threads you create or post replies to and you don't have to worry about this any longer.

What's the big deal about it? Is it really all that tough to just click on the link to see the reply if you have a real interest in what was posted? Besides, there could possibly have been several other replies after that notice that you will NOT see if you don't check the thread anyway.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:45 AM   #6
Mike Greathouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
What's the big deal about it? Is it really all that tough to just click on the link to see the reply if you have a real interest in what was posted? Besides, there could possibly have been several other replies after that notice that you will NOT see if you don't check the thread anyway.
Rich,
The problem arises when you are checking your email via your cell phone (or Blackberry in Jamie's case). It's not practical, and sometimes impossible to view the web site with these devices. It was very handy to see the text of the message in the email. In the cases where you are responding to ads, it allowed you to know whether or not you needed to get to a computer or not.
Some ad responses require immediate attention - others, do not.

I am a member on several Vbulletin boards and none of them appear to have this problem. Maybe the idiot factor is higher here. I don't know. If you like, I'll be happy to inquire on some of these other boards to determine if there is some work-around for this problem, or if they are simply tolerating it.

Thanks,

Old 09-20-2006, 12:18 AM   #7
Lloyd Heilbrunn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Greathouse
Rich,
The problem arises when you are checking your email via your cell phone (or Blackberry in Jamie's case). It's not practical, and sometimes impossible to view the web site with these devices. It was very handy to see the text of the message in the email. In the cases where you are responding to ads, it allowed you to know whether or not you needed to get to a computer or not.
Some ad responses require immediate attention - others, do not.

I am a member on several Vbulletin boards and none of them appear to have this problem. Maybe the idiot factor is higher here. I don't know. If you like, I'll be happy to inquire on some of these other boards to determine if there is some work-around for this problem, or if they are simply tolerating it.

Thanks,
This is the second or third board that I particpate on that has recently changed this handy function.

I always assumed it was because when you read the post in the email, you are not reading the ads on the site.

I never dreamed that the problem was people replying to the autoresponder.....

Old 09-20-2006, 01:42 AM   #8
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Heilbrunn
This is the second or third board that I particpate on that has recently changed this handy function.

I always assumed it was because when you read the post in the email, you are not reading the ads on the site.

I never dreamed that the problem was people replying to the autoresponder.....
Well, I will say that since I implemented this change, the number of email replies to those notices has virtually ended.

So as far as I am concerned, mission accomplished.........

Old 09-20-2006, 06:18 AM   #9
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
Well, I will say that since I implemented this change, the number of email replies to those notices has virtually ended.

So as far as I am concerned, mission accomplished.........
As long as it has made your life better!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!