Can Leopard gecko's eat each other? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-26-2006, 11:39 PM   #1
LadyViper
Can Leopard gecko's eat each other?

Is it possible for a larger gecko a possible male to eat a much smaller male if left alone in the same tank???

I had gone to pet sit a friends gecko and found no trace of the smallest one.

Just wondering what could have happened. There was no way of escape either.

Thanks
Pam
http://houstonreptile.com

Old 12-26-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
ByRandom
Yes. They don't distinguish friend from foe. If they are small enough to fit into the other one's mouth, then it's food.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:01 AM   #3
LadyViper
well that is just sad!

I have an empty tank and my friend just told me to take the little fellow home because he was being picked on...

He was gone without a trace, seems like there would have been body parts or something.

Old 12-27-2006, 01:26 AM   #4
Golden Gate Geckos
They will eat them just like they would a cricket, worm, or pinkie. The whole thing. I'm sorry this happened...

Old 12-27-2006, 09:45 PM   #5
Stephies_Leos
Just a note putting leopard gecko males together is a hazard and I have been told they will fight to the death. I am not sure about adult vs. baby but sadly that may have been what happened and the larger male decided to make a meal of him. I am sorry that is very sad.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:57 PM   #6
LadyViper
Unfortunately my friend learned to hard way, I had wanted to take the gecko weeks before, I did know 2 males would fight, when I finally got the go ahead to take him, it seems it was to late. My gecko's are both females and have been living together for 9 years. I just got a new juvi male and he gets his own tank. One day, I would like to get him a few females and possibly try a small breeding project, but this is still in the research stage. Thanks everyone for your replys, It's so sad, I just couldn't believe it.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:32 PM   #7
CurtisF
I've seen pictures of a baby being fed to an adult. Cannibilization can and will occur, unfortunately

Old 01-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #8
perefalcon
I've had a female eat a smaller leo before...I didn't realize at that time what could actually happen........I still think about that poor little thing, absolutely gorgeous as well

Old 01-03-2007, 11:21 PM   #9
Golden Gate Geckos
Males will fight to the death. Adults will eat babies. You will have to trust me that this is a fact.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!