White sided Rat Snake mix? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
lostsole
White sided Rat Snake mix?

I have a White Sided Black Rat Snake and will be getting White Sided Yellow Rat Snakes. What would the outcome of their offspring be? Would there be mix of yellow and black whited-sided or would it blend the colors? Is the white sided trait Co-Dominate and would show in all offspring if there was only one white sided parent?

Thanks for the Help.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
D. Mong
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsole View Post
I have a White Sided Black Rat Snake and will be getting White Sided Yellow Rat Snakes. What would the outcome of their offspring be? Would there be mix of yellow and black whited-sided or would it blend the colors? Is the white sided trait Co-Dominate and would show in all offspring if there was only one white sided parent?

Thanks for the Help.
The two will produce "mutt" white-sided offspring that will later be confused and very misidentified with either one later on down the road. I would strongly suggest that you stick with breeding the same subspecies to each other and not mixing the two.

The white-sided gene is a recessive trait.

~Doug

Old 03-28-2014, 10:57 PM   #3
kellan.pets
yeah and I am pretty sure that white sided yellows are an intergrade between a normal yellow rat and a white-sided black rat then breeding those together to express the recessive white-sided trait and still being at least part yellow rat. I have been working with some black rats and black rat subspecies for a few years now and done some stuff with things like bubblegum's and my cousin just got a white-sided yellow and it was from the offspring of a yellow and a white sided black rat. and so basically you will get white sided snakes that are mostly black rat but with just a bit of yellow and they should be pretty cool I myself like crosses as long as they are well defined so have fun hope this helps

Old 03-31-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
Ed Clark
Do the breeding then get back to us with pics of the hatchlings.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!