Need bread recipe - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen

Notices

Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen Whats Cooking: A cooking forum designed for fauna members to share recipes and other culinary delights with each other. Bon Appetit!

Old 11-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Lucille
Need bread recipe

I've made bread before but although it was OK, it didn't turn out as delicious as bread from bakeries.
I went grocery shopping today and saw that bread is over $2 a loaf and I decided I'm going to keep at it until I learn how to do it well.
Would like to see a basic recipe that you actually use, and any tips or techniques you've learned over the years.
I'm not using a bread machine, I'm using regular loaf pans.

Just as an additional comment, one can always learn new skills such as cooking. I do not think for one second that the economic climate is going to improve any time soon for those struggling now, and inflation is something to watch. Those who are helpless without fast foods and frozen dinners might consider learning the basics.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
skirtinthedirt
Lucille, can you be more specific about the type of bread you would like (white/wheat, light/dense, yeasty/salty/sweet)? I know you said "basic," but I'm just trying to get a better idea of how to help you.

Before I became one of those obnoxious gym rats who avoids things like bread, I used to bake a lot of it. I have some great recipes.

One thing I will say is that SO much of what will make a good loaf of bread depends on your environment (temps in your house, humidity, the particulars of your ovens and pans, brand of ingredients, even elevation). There is a considerable amount of trial and error involved before you will be able to produce a consistent loaf that won't suprise you with its taste.

Any reason for not using a bread maker? I avoided them at all costs originally (felt like cheating), but I was given one as a gift, and discovered that I could throw all my ingredients into it and hit "start" before I went to work in the morning, and when I got home, there was awesome, awesome bread waiting.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #3
Lucille
I can make wonderful sweet bread but a basic light white bread that is really good has eluded me.
Send a recipe

Old 12-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
skirtinthedirt
Will do. If it takes a week or so it's not because I'm ignoring you. All of my cook books, etc, are packed up. When I get unpacked and settled, I'll send you some stuff.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
Lucille
Thank you!!

The reason I am not using a bread machine is that I am going to make 12 loaves at a time, I have purchased and am waiting for some commercial quality loaf pans for smaller loaves so that a dozen can be baked in the size available in my oven.
I love fresh baked bread but am also perfectly content to warm a loaf that has been frozen. I bought a large freezer last year and more and more, make stuff in batches.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
AbsoluteApril
if possible, I'd apprecaite it if the white bread recipe could be posted here : )

Old 12-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
Shadera
I don't eat grains anymore, but do have a very nice ciabatta bread recipe if anyone would like it. Makes GREAT sandwiches and paninis.

IMO, bread machines don't make as nice a bread as just regular old handmade loaves. That's just me, though. Once I got into baking by hand, and I dived in headfirst, I gave the bread machines away.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
do have a very nice ciabatta bread recipe if anyone would like it.
Would love to see your recipe, please .

Old 12-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
Shadera
Here ya go.

Ciabatta is a sourdough, so it uses a sponge.

ingredients for sponge:
1/8 tsp. dry yeast
2 TBS warm water (by warm, just barely over room temp, careful not to scald your yeast)
1/3 cup room temp (or warm) water
1 cup bread flour

ingredients for bread:
1/2 tsp dry yeast
2 TBS warm milk
2/3 cup room temp (or warm) water
1 TBS olive oil
2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 tsp salt

To make the sponge, stir together 2 TBS warm water and yeast. Let stand 5 minutes. Add 1/3 cup room temp/warm water and flour. Stir for 4 minutes. I use a mixer for this part, with a dough hook attachment. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and let stand at room temp for at least 12 hours, and up to 24 hours.

To start the bread, stir together 1/2 tsp yeast and 2 TBS warm milk and let stand for 5 minutes. I do this in the mixing bowl of the mixer. Then add the sponge mixture, 2/3 cup water, olive oil, and flour. Mix at low speed until the flour is moistened. Beat at medium speed for 3 minutes. Add the 1 1/2 tsp salt, and beat for 4 more minutes.

Pull dough out of mixer bowl, and place it into a bowl that's been oiled (I love the spray stuff), and cover with plastic wrap. Let rest until doubled, typically 2-3 hours. Dough will be sticky and full of bubbles.

Turn dough out onto a well floured surface and divide in half. Transfer each half to a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper. Be gentle here, don't wanna pop all your bubbles! Form each half into irregular ovals about 9 inches long. Dust with flour, and use your fingers to gently dimple the tops of the loaves.

Cover with damp towel and let rise 2 hours, or until almost doubled.

Preheat oven to 425 F. Bake each loaf for 20 minutes, until pale golden brown. Move first loaf to cooling rack and repeat with second.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #10
Shadera
Just remembered this one. It's not a "white" bread, but does make a wonderful faintly sweet loaf that's great for special occasions and makes a KILLER french toast. It's very dense though, so I typically soak pieces in the egg wash for several minutes before frying.

Tsoureki, Greek Easter bread

1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
2 1/4 tsp dry yeast
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
3 TBS orange juice
1 TBS grated orange rind
2 tsp ground anise seed
5 1/2 cups bread flour

for the glaze
1/4 cup slivered almonds
2 TBS sugar
3 TBS orange juice

On the stove in a saucepan, combine milk and butter. Cook over medium heat until butter melts, and then pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl. Let cool until barely warm, then add yeast and sugar. Mix well.

Add salt, eggs, orange juice, orange rind, and anise seed. Mix. Sprinkle int he flour and mix until the flour is just moist. Knead with dough hook for 5 minutes.

Place dough in an oiled bowl, and brush with melted butter. Cover bowl and place somewhere warm for a few hours, until dough is doubled in bulk.

Punch dough down and divide into 2 loaves. Divide each loaf into 3 parts, and roll each part into a rope about 12" long. Braid the 3 pieces, and pinch the ends to seal. DO trhe same with the other half of the dough.

Place loaves on parchment paper on cookie sheets, cover, and let rise another hour. Preheat oven to 375F. Bake loaves for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and brush with glaze (made by mixing 3 ingredients above). Return to oven and bake for another 20 minutes or until golden.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!