HELP! Baby Crickets invading emperor scorpion terrarium!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
Rabbit87
HELP! Baby Crickets invading emperor scorpion terrarium!!

I just recently cleaned my Emperor Scorpions terrarium because it had a ton of little baby crickets running around disturbing my poor scorpion. It has only been about a week and even though I thoroughly cleaned her terrarium and air dried it, there are baby crickets running around all over it again. I know this is stressing her out because she is not eating much. I noticed she just kills the large feeder crickets because she seems upset about the babies all over. I am going to clean her terrarium and change the substrate again today. I was just hoping to find some advice on what I can do/use to really sanitize the terrarium and what I could do to maybe keep this from happening?

10 gallon glass terrarium
Coconut Fiber Substrate
Sm. Log
Sm. Water Dish

Thanks for any help and advice

Old 07-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
angie.h
What is happening is that whenever you feed a large female cricket, it survives long enough to lay eggs in the coco fiber. Your problem is solved by either cutting off the ovopositor of the cricket or switching to a different substrate that isn't such a good laying medium for the crix. Or just be 100% sure your scorp eats it before it can lay eggs. If you only feed male crix, that would also solve your problem, but that might be a waste of large crix if you have no control over the sex of feeders that you buy.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!