SCAMMER!!! John Mike from Canada / France / UK??? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:34 AM   #11
Chameleon Company
Marcia, I hope this is not considered "off-topic" or hijacking of your thread

Since its about "scamming", I only want to borrow it. Here's an email that I have gotten responding to five different ads out there right now. Same exact words, just a reference to a different ad each time. I probably get about 25 different ones in a year, maybe more. Most of us can recognize them a mile away. Can I say 100% that this is a scam? No, although I emailed the entity accusing them of such, and have yet to hear back. I don't have the time to lead them on to see how it would unfold, if a scam, but this person claims to be right here in the U.S. of A. (or maybe just "from")! I won't point out all that is "wrong with this picture", except to say it is not written by someone who would be what is claimed here, and there are at least 10 things wrong, or shall we say "not normal". I offer it only as another example for young readers. God forbid it proves legitimate, and I get real money from this entity, I will certainly make a retraction, and also tutor him as to how to make a better inquiry, no charge. On the flip side, if any of us were writing a screenplay, and a role called for dialogue with a Jamaican or Nigerian (and others, I am sure) taxi driver or hotel desk clerk, he would talk exactly like this.

----- Original Message -----
To: <chamco@tampabay.rr.com>
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 1:59 PM
Subject: Message about: CBB Nosy Be Females

hello
good day my name is James Smith am from Los Angles from United State of American am a Zoologist so pls am highly interested in your item which is the animal so pls i will like you to kindly mail me back the condtion and the mode of payment is United State Postal Money Order in us fund so pls i will lke you to kindly mail me back ASAP...........
REGARDS
James Smith..........
ITEM SELLING = CBB Nosy Be Females

Old 03-21-2006, 11:59 AM   #12
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamco
----- Original Message -----
To: <chamco@tampabay.rr.com>
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 1:59 PM
Subject: Message about: CBB Nosy Be Females

hello
good day my name is James Smith am from Los Angles from United State of American am a Zoologist so pls am highly interested in your item which is the animal so pls i will like you to kindly mail me back the condtion and the mode of payment is United State Postal Money Order in us fund so pls i will lke you to kindly mail me back ASAP...........
REGARDS
James Smith..........
ITEM SELLING = CBB Nosy Be Females
And you would receive what looks like a bonafide USPS money order. Notice I said "looks like", as none of the tell-tale security features will be present, with the exception of the large Benjamin Franklin watermark, which will be poorly reproduced.

Check out the USPS Postal Inspector's Page for Information about Money Orders and counterfeiting:

http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/moalert.htm

Specifically regarding online scams involving bogus USPS Money Orders:

http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/mofeatur.htm

Old 03-21-2006, 12:06 PM   #13
Golden Gate Geckos
Thanks for the info, folks... I guess I'll have to wait and see if I receive an 'already cashed' check in the mail!

Old 03-21-2006, 12:09 PM   #14
VFR!
Reporting these people is not going to accomplish anything. I’m not saying that these people can’t be stopped but don’t expect our government to send someone over to Nigeria to arrest anyone for stealing $2,000.00 from you. Many sites like Ebay, Craigslist and this one have taken steps to educate people about these scammers. Also, as long a there are sites that allow people to create free email addresses a scammer can have their accounts closed but can go back to the same provider and easily create another account under a different and usually more creative name. To tell you the truth, these people see us as stupid and as an easy opportunity for them to cash in. The best thing we can do is direct all our friends and acquaintances (reptile lovers or not) to threads like this to get educated on the matter.

Instead of getting upset over the matter I have decided to have fun with these people that think we are idiots and turn around and scam them, not out of money but by making them jump through hoops. In the end I let them know that I knew it was a scam all along and let them feel like the idiot. Why not have fun with them? I added the link to a site (not mine) below for you guys to check out and have a few laughs at these d*mb ass*s.

http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/

Hopefully people will continue to keep this thread alive so more and more people can get educated on these jerks.

Let me know what you guys think about that site.

Old 03-21-2006, 12:15 PM   #15
varnyard
As for the water mark, they have been known to buy real Postal money orders and then alter them to a different amount. So it is true that the water mark is poor on some but the exact one on others. Here are some links that will give more info, as well as below a quote from one of them.
http://www.goodworksonearth.org/frau...ey-orders.html
http://www.accessmylibrary.com/comsi...Money_Fraud_Is
http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...63/1004/NEWS01

Money order fraud is increasingly common, say U.S. postal inspectors.

Quote:
COPYRIGHT 2004 The Dallas Morning News

Byline: Matt Stiles

Dec. 28--Joseph Emuagbonrie's explanation, as federal authorities describe it, seemed reasonable, even laudable.

The Nigerian immigrant told an Irving post office employee in May that his unusual request for 70 American money orders -- each for less than $3 -- would help poor children learn to manage money.

In fact, authorities say, his effort was part of an international conspiracy to defraud the government by altering postal money orders to increase their values.

A two-count indictment issued this month charges that Mr. Emuagbonrie conspired with unknown others here and in Africa to alter the money orders...

Old 03-21-2006, 12:18 PM   #16
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
As for the water mark, they have been known to buy real Postal money orders and then alter them to a different amount. So it is true that the water mark is poor on some but the exact one on others. Here are some links that will give more info, as well as below a quote from one of them.
http://www.goodworksonearth.org/frau...ey-orders.html
http://www.accessmylibrary.com/comsi...Money_Fraud_Is
http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...63/1004/NEWS01

Money order fraud is increasingly common, say U.S. postal inspectors.
Compounding the alteration scams are the fact that the USPS still has at least 2 different versions of the Money Order in circulation.

Old 03-31-2006, 11:58 AM   #17
Chameleon Company
Am borrowing this thread once again,

As it touched on Nigerian scams, and others that have since adopted similar styles. Here is the text of an article from a sports website that was reported by Reuters today, and I found it both crazy and enlightening. It is no wonder that Nigeria is at the forefront of scams such as we encounter within the reptile business:

Quote:
Updated: March 31, 2006
Nigerian referees given permission to take bribes

Reuters.

LAGOS, Nigeria -- Football referees in Nigeria can take bribes from clubs but should not allow them to influence their decisions on the pitch, a football official said on Friday.

Fanny Amun, acting Secretary-General of the Nigerian Football Association, said bribery was common in the Nigerian game.

"We know match officials are offered money or anything to influence matches and they can accept it," Amun told Reuters on Friday.

Amun first made the statement earlier in the week to a football seminar in the capital Abuja, prompting protests from other officials.

"Referees should only pretend to fall for the bait, but make sure the result doesn't favour those offering the bribe," Amun said.

At the seminar, Nigerian football league chairman Oyuiki Obaseki reprimanded referees for poor quality match reports, saying that bribery was to blame.

"The quality of your reports have not done our league any good, so please desist from corrupt practices," he told delegates.

Despite a high-profile campaign to stamp out graft in the impoverished African country, Nigeria consistently ranks among the most corrupt countries in the world -- and football is no exception
I hope that it may only serve as an answer to the often asked question: "Why doesn't anyone stop them?"

Old 03-31-2006, 12:44 PM   #18
Golden Gate Geckos
Things that make you go "Hmmmmm..."

Old 04-02-2006, 04:59 PM   #19
mhwc56
I was reading our local small town paper the other day.In the Police Report there was an article that dealt with just this thing...
'two residents have recently fallen victim to a new scam and have lost a substantial amount of money.
the officer said both parties were initially contacted by someone asking if they would deposit a check and then ,after the check had cleared,withdraw the cash. The checks were receivedvia regular mail and appeared to be genuine. Both parties deposited the checks and after a 3 day wait sent the cash as requested-only to find the checks bounced. They were then not only out of the money they sent to the scammer but had to replace the funds to their own bank-a double penalty for this insidious scam.
One scammer claimed to be part of the Canadian Lottery ,the other was a simple request for help.'
I mention this article because it it sounded so similar to the first post.
I just cannot understand why some people would fall for such a blatent pile of...as what was written in this report though.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:30 AM   #20
pokeilope
... I think someone is trying to do that to me... THe wording and whatnot sounds the same... this is what they sent me please let me know what do if this is a scam...

Quote:
Hello,
Thanks for your mail responds,i'm very glad to read from you,also i will like you to know that am ok with your asking price,but will like to view the pics. I will do the shipping of the spider ball python my self,my shipping agent will help me out in the shipping of the spider ball python,my mode of payment will be in a check or money order .I will send you a check or money order through my insurance broker in which shipping cost and some other expenses will be included.If this procedure is ok by you,i will like you to get back to me with this following information:
Full name(that will be written on the check)
Home and address:
State:
Country and Zipcode:
Phone number:
As soon as this following information is being provided,i will make a special arrangement to send the payment to you immediately.I will be glad to do business with you.
Have a nice day.
Todd.

..Help?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!